PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild   Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild Icon_minitime10/14/2010, 8:20 pm

A few years back I purchased a TCML lift from Complete Hydraulics. I've been using it regularly without any problems until recently when the wheel vise stripped out. I would go to tighten the vise and just as it would start to tighten up it would pop and go loose again. Ended up that the vise uses a plastic threaded block inside that will eventually strip, if you have one of these vises go easy on it! I didn't want to buy another unit and just have the same crappy plastic piece that would fail again so a little home brew repair was in order.

Here's a old picture of the lift when I first purchased it.

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild Gsonliftbz1

First the vise isn't made to come apart so you need to grind the weld off where the crank fits onto the shaft going into the vise.

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4680

After sliding the vise apart this is what I found. The metal threaded shaft was in great cond, but the plastic threaded block that takes the load from the vise was stripped out....plastic! Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild 423485

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4683

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4687

As mentioned above the metal threads were fine but finding a new nut to fit the threads would be hard. Better to start new with a matched set. A large C-Clamp would provide the needed shaft and nut. Here's a pic just after cutting the needed pieces off the clamp.

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4688

Just finished welding in the "nut" part of the shaft using rosette welds all the way around. It now has more threaded surface area than it did originally and it's all metal!

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4689

I welded on a washer to be used as the inside thrust bearing. I will also place a nylon washer on both sides as a bearings surface.

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4691

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4692

Next I had to drill out the hole where the shaft passes through the jack assy since the new shaft has a bigger diameter.

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4693

Almost back together again.

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4697

Back on the lift and working better than new, just need to paint it to finish it up. I won't have to worry about cranking down on the vise now. Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild 541814

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild IMG_4746

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com

Motorcycle Lift Wheel Vise Overhaul/Rebuild
Page 1 of 1