PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Michelin AC10's queestion...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffpack1957

Bike : 2009 wr250r

Michelin AC10's queestion... Empty
PostSubject: Michelin AC10's queestion...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 12:18 pm

I was just at Mattawa yesterday on the new bike.

I'm trying to figure out whether its just me, or some oddity with the bike/tires...

I've got AC10's front and rear, and in that sandy loam at Mattawa, it was not only a fight, but just plain scary.

The front was constantly trying to go directions I didnt want it to. Any speed I'd get, that front would just take off on me and try and pitch me out of the path.

Even when I'd get on the rock road, the front was constantly giving me weird feedback, and would want to go off other than where I was steering.

I really couldn't tell if it was pushing, or just knife edging into the looser material. It didnt feel like it was pushing though. More like over-steer.

I was running 12psi, so that should have been fine.

The only thing I can think of is that front tire just seems awful skinny.

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: Michelin AC10's queestion...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 2:31 pm

jeffpack1957 wrote:
I was just at Mattawa yesterday on the new bike.

I'm trying to figure out whether its just me, or some oddity with the bike/tires...

I've got AC10's front and rear, and in that sandy loam at Mattawa, it was not only a fight, but just plain scary.

The front was constantly trying to go directions I didnt want it to. Any speed I'd get, that front would just take off on me and try and pitch me out of the path.

Even when I'd get on the rock road, the front was constantly giving me weird feedback, and would want to go off other than where I was steering.

I really couldn't tell if it was pushing, or just knife edging into the looser material. It didnt feel like it was pushing though. More like over-steer.

I was running 12psi, so that should have been fine.

The only thing I can think of is that front tire just seems awful skinny.

Thoughts?

For soft terrain I use even lower pressure up front, like 9 psi. A couple psi can make a difference. They are dualsport tires? Maybe a true dirt tire would work better. The gravel roads at Mattawa always seem like ball bearings to me on any tires.
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Michelin AC10's queestion...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 8:28 pm

ya i should of asked ya what tire pressure u were running for dirt i unload air to about 10-12 in the front and about 12 in the rear. of course dont ride on the highway with that i pump them up to 15-20

i also ordered a fatter tire for my front when i had to get new ones it sure did help on gravel roads and slick dirt.
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

PostSubject: Like I said above...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime11/21/2010, 8:49 pm

I was running 12/12.

I've been talking with my suspension guy (Alex @Konflict) he thinks I might need the stiffer front spring after all (mine was just abit light) and perhaps
the front is compressing too much, and making the front rake/trail too steep, making it over-steer.

That kind of makes sense.

Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

PostSubject: Re: Michelin AC10's queestion...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 1:37 pm

went to Mattawa last weekend, and the stiffer front spring fixed it. I was in 2nd gear most the time now, (13/50), instead of 1st gear 12/50.

So I'm much happier now. But I still hate hillclimbs!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Michelin AC10's queestion...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime1/27/2011, 3:22 pm

I've been thinking about Konflict. Not sure suspension really means enough to me tho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michelin AC10's queestion...   Michelin AC10's queestion... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michelin AC10's queestion...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: General Bike Discussion-
Jump to: