PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Empty
PostSubject: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 4:21 pm

Just picked up a super nice original GE Monitor Top fridge off Craigs List. Runs great! It's really in super cond for it's age...I believe this to be the late 30's. Looks like it was stored more than it was used, the inside is super clean. Needs a new door seal.

Will make a great art deco garage fridge!

Here's a couple pics.

My father standing next to the fridge for a size comparison.

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! IMG_0411

Front. It has some scotch tape on the front that I need to get off still.

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! IMG_0403

Here's the "Monitor Top". Even has defrost!

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! IMG_0404

Inside. Complete, even has the free floating basket still! The upper little door is broken although we do have the parts so we'll have to fix that part.

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! IMG_0405

Original sticker still in place!

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! IMG_0406

Should add some coolness to the garage :D

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 5:06 pm

wow. That is pretty cool.

*wonder what the cost to run is vs. newer. LOL
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 5:09 pm

Inspector wrote:
wow. That is pretty cool.

*wonder what the cost to run is vs. newer. LOL

Less than a new one! With good seals on the doors and top the compressor will only run around 10 minutes out of 60. It uses a very efficient but toxic refrigerant called Sulfer Dioxide. I'm going to leave this unit in the garage, to dangerous to have in the house in case it ever springs a leak.

The monitor top's are still considered to be the most reliable refrigerator ever made.

My uncle is a HVAC tech and he said back in school they told him that after WWII companies that made refrigerators complained that they were lasting to long and people were handing them down to their kids etc instead of buying new ones. Supposedly the companies agreed to make fridges that were good for about 10 years so that people would keep buying them. Grrrr.. They sure don't make them like they used to, this fridge is about 500lbs and solid as a rock. They quality of workmanship in these old units is unmatched today.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 5:38 pm

Ok, that is just friggen sweet then!!
Back to top Go down
hugemoth

PostSubject: Re: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 6:29 pm

I'll bet Dan remembers those from when he was young.

Just in case you hadn't thought about it, if it has one of those latching handles be sure to make some changes so your son can't accidentally lock himself inside.

Q
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 6:57 am

hugemoth wrote:
I'll bet Dan remembers those from when he was young.

Just in case you hadn't thought about it, if it has one of those latching handles be sure to make some changes so your son can't accidentally lock himself inside.

Q

Hey Q, thanks for the heads up on the latch...good safety tip to think of. thumb

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!   Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Vintage GE Monitor Top Fridge - Just scored a nice one!
Page 1 of 1