PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!

Go down 
+4
big jer
DoctorXRR
Inspector
Hodakaguy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Empty
PostSubject: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime3/11/2011, 11:57 pm

Around the 50hr mark my 09 530exc developed a problem with the E-starter. The starter would turn the engine over fine but it wouldn't fire, it would fire right up with the kick starter though. After doing a lot of reading on the net it sounded like the torque limiter was slipping just enough that the engine would turn over but not quite fast enough to light. I ended up removing the limiter, tightening it up a bit and re-installing it again. Problem fixed! Now my bike would even start in gear with the clutch in! I now have 130 hrs on the bike and the E-Starter is working like a charm. I posted all this in another thread a while back but have had several people contact me with questions on exactly what was involved with tightening the torque limiter.....Fast forward to today....

YamWOW!'s 530 recently developed the same problem with the E-starter...would turn the engine over ok but wouldn't start, it would start just fine with the kick starter. He ordered the parts (gaskets etc) and we decided to take pictures this time so people could see what's involved if they are having the same issue. Now that we tightened the limiter on this bike the E-starter is working like new again!

Tools that you will need on hand:

*Torque wrench in In/lbs (for the smaller bolts) and ft/lbs
*Clutch basket Holder Tool - Like this one: CLICK HERE . NOTE: This tool works but not correctly on our baskets. You have to use the tool on the inside of the basket to make it work.
*Misc hand tools. Wrenches, Sockets, Breaker bar.
*Impact Gun is nice to remove the Clutch Basket Nut but not a necessity, you can use the Clutch Basket Tool and a Breaker Bar as well.

Supplies to have on hand (08 530EXC Referenced on Part#'s):

*CLUTCH COVER GASKET: KTM Part# 78030025000
*RETAINING PLATE: KTM Part# 77332018000 (Lock Tab For Clutch Basket Nut) Note: It can be re-used but it's cheap to replace and you don't have to worry about it.
*HEXAGON NUT DIN0936-M18X1.5 R.: KTM Part# 0936181505 (Clutch Basket Nut..manual says to replace, a lot of people re-use the old one)
*Your favorite oil to re-fill the transmission with
*Your favorite coolant to re-fill the cooling system
*Shop Manual. Nice to verify you have everything in the right spot and order upon re-assembly. If you don't have a manual you can use the parts diagrams as reference...example KTM Cycle Hutt Parts FicheFinder: CLICK HERE

Handy Torque Values:
"Screw, Torque Limiter" - M6, 7.38 ft/lbs Loctite 243
"Nut, Inner Clutch Hub" - M18x1.5, 59.01 ft/lbs
"Screw, Clutch Spring" - M6, 7.38 ft/lbs
"Screw, Clutch Cover" - M6x25, 7.38 ft/lbs
"Screw, Clutch Cover" - M6x30, 7.38 ft/lbs
"Screw, Kickstarter" - M8, 18.44 ft/lbs Loctite 243

Start by draining the coolant and the transmission oil. Next let's remove the clutch.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0675

Here's a shot of the Retaining Plate "Yellow Arrow" and clutch basket nut that lives under the clutch pack. Bend down the ears on the plate till they are flat so you can remove the nut. If you don't have a impact gun you will have to use the clutch basket took to hold the basket while you use a breaker bar to remove the nut. The Tusk tool won't work on the outer part of the basket but will work if you place the tool on the inside of the basket at the Red Arrows.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0710-1

Next remove the kick start lever, loosen the hose clamp on the water pump hose connection, and remove the rear brake lever.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0680-1

Now remove the clutch cover. Here's a shot of the inside of the cover. You can see the water pump drive gear in this shot. Note: When re-installing the cover don't force it. The plastic water pump drive gear has to line up and mesh with the other drive gears inside the case for the cover to go completely on. If the cover isn't wanting to slide on easily reach behind the cover and turn the water pump drive gear slightly, then try to slide the cover on again. Repeat this until the gears line up and the cover slides on smoothly.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0698

Almost to the Torque Limiter. Now just slide the clutch basket off and place it to the side. Be careful to keep track of the order of washers etc as the parts come off.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0684-1

Ok...with the clutch basket out of the way we can now see the offending Torque Limiter. Remove the bolt holding the limiter in place and remove the limter. Note: There is a thin shim behind the limiter, keep track of it as you remove the limiter and make sure it gets re-installed during re-assembly.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0687

Removing the Torque Limiter. The yellow arrow is where the thin shim goes.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0690-1

A side shot of the Torque Limiter. I've added the numbers 1 & 2 to help explain the tightening process. KTM says the Limiter is "Non-Adjustable" and is pre-set at the factory, if the Limiter is slipping just replace it at $130 a pop. The Limiter is installed in the bike so if the bike backfires it will slip and prevent damage to the starter and the engine case....knowing this we now have to decide how much we want to tighten the limiter? From what I've read people have just snugged them down until they are fairly tight and called it good....this is the method I used on my 530 and it's worked great for me. You can decide how tight you would like to tighten yours, just need it tight enough where it will transfer power to the engine with out slipping.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0689

You will see three holes in the front of the Limiter "Area 2 in the picture above", you can build a spanner wrench that fits these holes or use the channel locks method to tighten the limiter. Place a piece of leather around the teeth "Area 1 in the picture above" and clamp "1" lightly in a vice. Then use the channel locks to tighten "2" a 1/8 or 1/4 turn. I normally would take the time to build a correct spanner wrench but nothing touches area "2" once the Limiter is re-installed so any teeth marks from the channel locks won't hurt anything.

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! IMG_0693-1

That's it! Now just re-assemble everything, re-fill the oil, re-fill the coolant and enjoy having your E-start back again. bananna

Hope this helps.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Empty
PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 8:24 am

Awesome right up.

*got to admit you are one of the best for detail....(maybe perry help...naw) big
Back to top Go down
DoctorXRR

DoctorXRR

Bike : 2003 DR650

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime3/12/2011, 5:39 pm

[b]Very awesome how-to post! You guys rock and know how to do the job right!
Back to top Go down
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 8:45 pm

scratch hmmm. maybe they don't like being cranked on with the kill switch in the '' off '' position? Evil6 poser
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime3/15/2011, 9:21 pm

big jer wrote:
scratch hmmm. maybe they don't like being cranked on with the kill switch in the '' off '' position? Evil6 poser
ddog Swear
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime3/16/2011, 1:24 am

When do you release the DVD? lurk

Great pic's I hope mine never goes bad.
Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

Bike : 2011 ktm 450 exc

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime5/11/2012, 6:37 pm

we just did this to my brothers 450 today and now it starts like a champ. Awesome post!
Back to top Go down
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime7/14/2012, 9:58 am

DONE! Thanks for all the help, Tom. Rides are no longer an exercise in El Frustratione'
Back to top Go down
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime4/20/2015, 3:15 pm

Yipes, the problem IS BACK.  We teamed up for a fix at H-Guys' house (thanks!) but on this last ride the bike does this:

E-start in gear = lurching forward and no start.  The bike is a bitch to get into neutral, always has been but didn't really care until now.
Makes it a PITA to get going again after a stop
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!   How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How To - KTM 450-530 Won't Start With E-start Problem - Torque Limiter Fix!
Page 1 of 1