PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

BRP Newbie

Go down 
+4
PeteN95
Inspector
Shane
Capt.PuddleHopper
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Capt.PuddleHopper

Capt.PuddleHopper

Bike : 2005 Honda XR650R

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/16/2011, 4:52 pm

BRP Newbie 66593[size=18]
I am soooo stoked!!! My new 2005 XRR is now in the shop getting her first refit for my 6'4 255lb frame with new handlebars with riser, new rear tire, complete retune, and having all the street legal Baja Designs lighting reattached. I've riddin the Big Red Pig 7 miles so far just around the homestead and I'm completly in love with the big power and easy handling beast. I'll be re springing her as well once the heat wears off over the costs of the purchase and unexpected upgrades. But I'm really looking forward to the thrill of getting up to speed on this monster. BRP Newbie 593212

I'm interested in finding some cool graphics to cover the tank, shrouds, and number plates. Anyone have suggested sites for this??? I'll be checking this site regularly, and I hope to hear from ya'll. Will post pics soon also.

Last edited by Capt.PuddleHopper on 3/17/2011, 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/16/2011, 8:25 pm

welcome.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 7:38 am

Welcome, HI!

*how did i forget that yesterday?!? Doah
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 7:59 am

Welcome and congrats on a great bike! I love mine too.
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/18/2011, 4:32 am

Welcome, You are so going to love that thing for overall riding. Are you going to get a bigger output stator?
Back to top Go down
Capt.PuddleHopper

Capt.PuddleHopper

Bike : 2005 Honda XR650R

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/18/2011, 9:05 am

BRP Newbie 66593 What's a stator? Shop still has the bike cause the turn signals won't work, head light bulb burnt out, and I'm wondering if the stator is the issue... Not enough power?
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/18/2011, 9:43 pm

Others feel free to help me explain this. The stator is a collection of coils that make the bike's spark and also all electrical stuff work...light and horn. Its screwed to the inside of the engine case by your left foot peg, and the flywheel on the end ofthe crank zooms around inside it making sparks. My Baja kit doesn't have a battery. and witout a more powerful stator, the lights were super dim. A higher wattage stator isnt that uncommon, maybe your bike already has one. You might consider having the shop take the side cover off and take a look
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 10:41 am

Congrats on the BRP and welcome to the club! The stator makes the electricity for your motorcycle. Enough for a stock bike, but not enough for a bigger headlight and incandescent turn signals etc.

If you are handy, you can rewire your own stator, buy one or have someone do it for you. There are many articles saying the stock stator and regulator will support LED turn signal systems if that is your requirement. If you need night time headlight, then a stator upgrade is needed to provide the extra electricity for the bigger lights. Like a 40 watt light bulb vs. a 100 watt light bulb. One takes more electricity to run than the other and the stator can only produce so much electricity before it runs out.

No offense if I over-simplified.

By the way, IMHO the two best upgrades I ever did to my pig were the suspension and risers! I am at your weight and then some when fully loaded.

Suspension = springs for your riding weight AND setting sag so the bike is "balanced" front and rear. Too much sag in rear, won't turn on dirt or street like a chopper. Not enough and it'll be twitchy at the front end. Revalving for your riding style and new oil is also prime upgrade.

I can tell you from experience at your weight on a stock suspension you are well into the mid-stroke of the suspension. The difference of installing the correct springs and freshen up the internals was like night and day for me four years ago.

Good luck, search "the pig pen," research and most of all don't spend so much time working on it you forget to ride it!

deal

Best regards and welcome

griz
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 10:47 am

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the welcome aboard thread Salute

Here ya go, a couple threads down from the welcome section: http://www.pnwds.com/t525-suspension-setup-tips

griz
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 11:42 am

Griz, you are so right on the suspension! I popped for a 12 kg spring cuz of the chopper effect with the stock spring. I weigh 320 and altho I bitched about the cost. it was dollars well spent. Some adjusting with front forks and I was in perfect. I dont trail ride mine so Im set up for seated riding. but I bought some KX hibend bars and that made a big difference too When I got new Ironman sprockets and Regina chain, I cut the chain as short as I could and that go the axle forward about 1.5 inces from where it was. That doesn't sound like a lot but it sharpened up the handeling way more than I expected...AND made wheelies a tad easier. A wider and taller seat is my next project.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 11:51 am

cool1442 wrote:
Griz, you are so right on the suspension! I popped for a 12 kg spring cuz of the chopper effect with the stock spring. I weigh 320 and altho I bitched about the cost. it was dollars well spent. Some adjusting with front forks and I was in perfect. I dont trail ride mine so Im set up for seated riding. but I bought some KX hibend bars and that made a big difference too When I got new Ironman sprockets and Regina chain, I cut the chain as short as I could and that go the axle forward about 1.5 inces from where it was. That doesn't sound like a lot but it sharpened up the handeling way more than I expected...AND made wheelies a tad easier. A wider and taller seat is my next project.

thumb
Back to top Go down
RENO

RENO

Bike : 07 KLR 650 2012 Cristini AWD 450DS

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 4:19 pm

looking forward to a new spring myself only i am installing a 7.4 topgun spring. with me at 230lbs, it came in right in on the lowe end of the range. hope i didnt go too low seeing similar weight person went to 12.0. now im a bit worried 7.4 wont be enough. hopeing that different brand bike will require different spring for same result otherwise im gonna have to go on a diet. :Slaphead:
Back to top Go down
Fast_Ed

Fast_Ed

Bike : 2007 KLR650

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Stator   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 5:17 pm

Are higher output stators easily available for older XR's like mine too? (1989)
Back to top Go down
Fast_Ed

Fast_Ed

Bike : 2007 KLR650

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 5:18 pm

Oh.... and WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 7:00 pm

Reno,

Please re-read my post. My big assed body weighs 320 (THREE HUNDRED TWENTY LBS!!). You are way lighter than me. Id believe whatever chart from whatever spring provider you are going to patronize. You will be so pleasantly surprised at how much better your bike rides and steers.
Back to top Go down
RENO

RENO

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 8:31 pm

yet another add to my winter mods list. a stator. maybe then i can run the power vest and ride in the cold. current one barely powers the grip warmers.
Back to top Go down
RENO

RENO

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime5/16/2011, 8:35 pm

cool1442 wrote:
Reno,

Please re-read my post. My big assed body weighs 320 (THREE HUNDRED TWENTY LBS!!). You are way lighter than me. Id believe whatever chart from whatever spring provider you are going to patronize. You will be so pleasantly surprised at how much better your bike rides and steers.

Whew!!! dislexia!!! thought u posted 230 but 320 was actual weight. feel much better about choice in spring now. have to wait for winter mods for the front fork upgrade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BRP Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Re: BRP Newbie   BRP Newbie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BRP Newbie
Page 1 of 1