PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

XR650 R jet chart

Go down 
+2
mamacone
leelikesbikes
6 posters
AuthorMessage
leelikesbikes

leelikesbikes

Bike : FE 650 CR250

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 6:48 pm

just bought an 02 650R with a FMF powercore muffler, uncorked by PO. problem is the bike starts harder than i think it should. i think the idle jet may be a little lean? what are you guys running for jetting in the lowlands (im in walla walla) i would like to jet it to run best from 2-5k feet. im gonna pull the jets out tomorrow and see whats in there, just wondering if someone in the area has any pearls on jetting. thanks -lee
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 9:15 pm

I am in the the tri cities and this is what I run. Bike takes 3-5 kicks to start when cold but after that it is generally a one kick bike, unless I have tipped over or stalled it on a climb, then it can be a stubborn pig. I love the pig just wish it had the magic button. Have you checked out the xr650r forum, there is some good links there, like boyarnacks and the pig pen. Good luck.

Elevation: 400 ft
172 Main during summer months (70 - 95 avg temps)
175 Main during colder months (40 - 50 avg temps)
68s pilot
Clip at 3rd position from top
Back to top Go down
leelikesbikes

leelikesbikes

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: thanks   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/17/2011, 9:41 pm

thanks for the reply, is your setup similar to mine as far as aftermarket muffler/uncorked? if so i'll try your jetting setup and see how it works. thanks again. -lee thumb
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/18/2011, 4:34 pm

Mine is uncorked but has the stock exhaust with the bigger exhaust tip.
Back to top Go down
leelikesbikes

leelikesbikes

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: fuel screw   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 9:29 am

how about fuel screw, i know on my 2-stroke a good start point is 2-1/2 turns out on the AIR screw, but im new to this 4-stroke fuel screw business. the bike acts like it wants to start after a couple kicks but wont quite take off, if it was a smoker i'd just give it a lttle gas and away you go. im wondering if its not getting quite enough fuel off idle. turn the idle up?? what throttle range does the fuel screw effect? also whats the screw down by the float bowl drain plug do?
thanks guys cheers
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 10:07 am

leelikesbikes wrote:
how about fuel screw, i know on my 2-stroke a good start point is 2-1/2 turns out on the AIR screw, but im new to this 4-stroke fuel screw business. the bike acts like it wants to start after a couple kicks but wont quite take off, if it was a smoker i'd just give it a lttle gas and away you go. im wondering if its not getting quite enough fuel off idle. turn the idle up?? what throttle range does the fuel screw effect? also whats the screw down by the float bowl drain plug do?
thanks guys cheers

I may be talking out my ass, but I think the idle adjustment is under a cap on the stock carby. I think I read somewhere the idle circuit and the idle adjustment are two separate things.

I don't know if they still exist, but back in the day BRP owners gathered at Yahoo Groups under XR650R. Eric Foster was one of the original forum members. I still remember when he quit posting, only to find out he had run his pig into a 2,000 pound hay bail. His new nickname became the haymaker and he also gathered all the XR650R information on the web at the time and developed The Pig Pen. Borynack had a great family web site that eventually turned into a great XR resource because he was jumping sand dunes and such stuff on the big pig.

If you were to research uncorking and jetting suggestions you might find what you are looking for. Another common mod is to remove the choke plate from the carb. Most pigs will start in a few kicks even without the choke on, then one kick warm. If the choke plate is not there on your bike it could cause the symptoms you describe.

The reason folks began replacing the choke plate and screw with aftermarket is because there were a few reports early on of the screw coming out and going through the engine.

Many of the old school links are in PNWDS's sister site XR650R if you dig around. Searching for jetting guides you should find some old thumpertalk guides for things like detailed carb setups/tunes.

If you don't have a service manual yet, good thing to have. If you did around a little bit you can find electronic copies on the web.

thumb I realize I'm not really giving you a solution, other than to say when owning a BRP getting to know it by wrenching is part of the fun. You shouldn't need to wrench because they really are bullet proof as long as it isn't thrashed and you change the oil once in a while.

Look at number 4 in "the fuel system" here: http://www.xr650r.us/xr650r_faq/

That's Eric in the middle with the monkey wrench, his web site is a MUST READ for pig owners... http://borynack.com/XR650R/links.htm

Q&A #4 in fuel system section, warm engine, 1 1/2 out then adjust accordingly per instructions.

Well there ya go, a possible solution... I do tend to talk in circles... Have a great weekend!

Hello
Back to top Go down
leelikesbikes

leelikesbikes

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: thanks    XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/19/2011, 6:22 pm

thanks for all the help, im already learning some good stuff about the pig, ive been around bikes for years and have two other bikes that ive dialed in, but it seems like they all have their quirks, so im glad im getting some of the BRP ones figured out. ive got my jetting really close now, she starts on the 2nd kick cold and usually the 1st warm. i would like to find a place where i can get the 68s pilot jet, i think that would help a bit, im getting some deccelleration detonation, and im assuming that can be tuned out with the fuel screw. thanks again for the advice and hope to see ya in the dirt sometime. -lee beer
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 12:56 am

Ok this will sound pretty damned elemental, but after many years of riding 2 strokes, I fight the urge to give the thorttle a blip on kick start. With my 650 I now atumatically put my right hand on the cross bar as part of my starting procedure...keeps me form the throttle blip whichis part pf hard starting problems. Ok I admit, very silly, works for me
Back to top Go down
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/22/2011, 6:43 am

cool1442 wrote:
Ok this will sound pretty damned elemental, but after many years of riding 2 strokes, I fight the urge to give the thorttle a blip on kick start. With my 650 I now atumatically put my right hand on the cross bar as part of my starting procedure...keeps me form the throttle blip whichis part pf hard starting problems. Ok I admit, very silly, works for me

I have to do the same thing sometimes! I just bought a 4 poke last May (my avatar) after riding two strokes for 22 years, and I'm still not quite used to starting them. Don't feel weird. Well, yeah it feels weird, but better than kicking all day long!
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
mamacone

mamacone

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/23/2011, 5:23 pm

Most already know, but when the pig is flooded, I open the throttle wide open and squeeze the brake lever while kicking so I don't keep feeding it fuel by rotating the throttle. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. I still love the beast.
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 1:47 pm

I'm running a regular 70 pilot because I couldn't find the 68S. It is one step richer, but it is perfect going by my dyno run!
Back to top Go down
cool1442

cool1442

Bike : KTM 950 SE

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime3/24/2011, 6:34 pm

I got a 68s when I ordered the needle and seat and the 175 main that was recommended on XR650.com.. or some other site. Using the same article, I removed the two pieces from the airbox. and modded the spark arrestor and outlet (screen is unmolested). I tried a 70 and a 65. I thought the 65 was too lean, then tried the 70, which seemed ok, but left the 68s in just cuz it was the thrid one I tried and it seemd fine too. Personally, I think our sizes and ridng styles and altitudes are the main influences. I do know when I pop in a stock spark arrestor with the little outlet, it runs hotter and gets worse milage. Logical.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

XR650 R jet chart Empty
PostSubject: Re: XR650 R jet chart   XR650 R jet chart Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

XR650 R jet chart
Page 1 of 1