PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Water repelling

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SOLO

SOLO

Bike : 1999 KTM LC4 640 Dual Sport

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 5:01 pm

Hey Guys,
I just got some old kilamajara riding gear and was looking to try and waterproof it? Anyone had any luck with some good spray on stuff?
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 5:38 pm

I've been using Kiwi Performance Fabric Protector Camp Dry... thumb

First Gear typically has "Hypertex" that is a thin breathable and waterproof membrane. The material is just the outer layer of sandwiched materials. My Firstgear HT 2.0 overpants have been used as riding gear and winter gear for two winters now. The outer cloth is just starting to look like it absorbs water but in a couple downpours riding to work this spring they don't leak past the Hypertex.

The Camp Dry just helps the outer material repel water droplets really well. I've used it on my 1994 Eddie Bauer Down Parka made out of original Gortex - after treatment have washed my hair in a forest downpour while wearing the jacket. Not afraid of getting the down wet, the water repellant works so well. 2011 I still grab that parka when the temps drop and freezing rain is in the forecast...

I started using the Fabric Protector Camp Dry because the Hypertex membrane is made out of some thin micro-perforated polyester or something. I was worried the solvent based old Camp Dry would harm the new membrane.

I use Camp Dry on my Joe Rocket endurance jacket as well (similar to a Kilimanjaro 4.0) Works great!

Whatever you do - Don't put your garments in the dryer after washing in cold water on gentle cycle! Hot heat of the dryer will melt the Hypertex membrane. High performance weather garments need to follow wash instructions such as gentle wash or soak and hang dry.

By the way congrats on the FirstGear stuff thumb Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
SOLO

SOLO

Bike : 1999 KTM LC4 640 Dual Sport

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime4/11/2011, 5:47 pm

Great post thanks

griz901 wrote:
I've been using Kiwi Performance Fabric Protector Camp Dry... thumb

First Gear typically has "Hypertex" that is a thin breathable and waterproof membrane. The material is just the outer layer of sandwiched materials. My Firstgear HT 2.0 overpants have been used as riding gear and winter gear for two winters now. The outer cloth is just starting to look like it absorbs water but in a couple downpours riding to work this spring they don't leak past the Hypertex.

The Camp Dry just helps the outer material repel water droplets really well. I've used it on my 1994 Eddie Bauer Down Parka made out of original Gortex - after treatment have washed my hair in a forest downpour while wearing the jacket. Not afraid of getting the down wet, the water repellant works so well. 2011 I still grab that parka when the temps drop and freezing rain is in the forecast...

I started using the Fabric Protector Camp Dry because the Hypertex membrane is made out of some thin micro-perforated polyester or something. I was worried the solvent based old Camp Dry would harm the new membrane.

I use Camp Dry on my Joe Rocket endurance jacket as well (similar to a Kilimanjaro 4.0) Works great!

Whatever you do - Don't put your garments in the dryer after washing in cold water on gentle cycle! Hot heat of the dryer will melt the Hypertex membrane. High performance weather garments need to follow wash instructions such as gentle wash or soak and hang dry.

By the way congrats on the FirstGear stuff thumb Good stuff!
Back to top Go down
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime4/13/2011, 6:52 am

I think you can also take your things to the dry cleaners to be waterproofed. I vaguely remember my dad doing this to one of his and my brother's old ski jackets. dunno
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
pjturbo

pjturbo

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime4/13/2011, 10:10 am

I wash my Kili in Tech Wash for Nicwax, then use their restore soultion. Do this once a year and it lasts until the next time. Been through some horrible rains and never leaked.

Phil
Back to top Go down
75monza

75monza

Bike : 2006 KTM 950 Adventure

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime4/27/2011, 1:30 pm

I have used the 3m waterproofing spray from Walmart with good results. I did my old Transition jacket and pants along with my soft saddle bags before I took a trip to California. They still repel water after 2 1/2 years. So well, that I am not afraid to use all of it in the rain even today. Everything in the saddle bags stays dry even in a downpour sitting in a parking lot or going down the highway at 60. People think that I am getting soaked, but I stay perfectly dry on the inside.

I sprayed them on the side walk out in front of the house. The concrete still repels water too in the outline of my gear. Sorta looks like a chalk outline on the grey concrete when it rains.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Water repelling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Water repelling   Water repelling Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Water repelling
Page 1 of 1