PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!

Go down 
+2
Inspector
Murray211
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Empty
PostSubject: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/3/2011, 6:29 am

So I found out last night, lil supermoto and I get to go to Mexico for the Baja 500. The problem is, I am wildly unprepared and I'm worried I might forget something important. I've been scouring all kinds of forums looking for info, but I'd appreciate some direct help, suggestions, recommendations, opinions, etc! I'm using the bike to ride from our pre-running pit to various locations to take photos and video. I need to buy everything by the beginning of next week! Here is my list:

Tires firstly - Going with a Maxxis dualsport rear and a Maxxis dirt front that I had already. Damn 17" wheels are hard to buy for!
Tubes - I know I should carry at least one spare. Right?
Patch Kit - I've been looking in the Tucker Rocky catalog. Not sure which kit to get...

Jets - I haven't rejetted my bike yet (it only has 1 mile on it!) and I have to spend the next two weeks breaking it in! I think Mexico will be fairly similar to where I would ride around here as far as jetting goes, but I want to bring some just in case!
Fuel bottles - I have two MSR bottles - .5 liter I think.
Tool kit - My bike came with two allen wrenches baldy so I'm going to buy the Bike Master 17 pc tool kit out of the Tucker catalog.
Bike lock of some kind - This IS Mexico. I just want an added deterrent!

Goggles - Been looking at the Ariete goggles with the double vented lens. I have a pair of Scott No Sweats, but I am worried about all the dust! I have only ever used Scott goggles, so I don't know how comfortable, effective, or hot the other goggles are. Their 89xi desert goggles are out of stock for me Sad
MSR Max Air pants - I hate hot sticky legs! These seemed to be ok. I can get 'em on clearance for like $30 in my size. I'm not fancy-pants enough to afford the team's Klim gear.

Ogio Baja bag/hydration pack - Anyone use these? My second choice is a Giegerrig, but they are about 2x as expensive. I'd like to be able to carry tripod, but not necessary.
Camera case for my DSLR - Going to go in ^ bag

It's not critical I finish a race or anything, but I don't want to be stranded with the cacti while I wait for someone to find me! The 230L/M has limited options for accessories, but all of this stuff I will probably carry with me.

What am I forgetting?!!? scared
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/3/2011, 7:40 am

Wow, jelly i am. Can't help tho, I forget stuff just going down to the grocery store.

*seriously tho, i won't be much help but if you need something specific that i might have, just call out.
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/3/2011, 8:01 am

I have the Ogio Baja bag/hydration pack and it works great. I don't think you will go wrong with it. Plenty of room and can even carry your little fuel bottles.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
Murray211

Murray211

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/3/2011, 9:59 am

Enduroguy wrote:
I have the Ogio Baja bag/hydration pack and it works great. I don't think you will go wrong with it. Plenty of room and can even carry your little fuel bottles.

That's what I wanted to hear! *whew*

This list is growing by leaps and bounds and I'm freakin' out a little!! haha
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/8/2011, 8:12 pm

you are missing a lot on your list!!! food, stoves, camping gear??? racks for your bike?

advrider has some excellent info.

and for adv rides I don't use hyd packs.. i use stainless steel water bottles, so I can boil water in the bottle if I need to.
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Murray211

Murray211

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 6:39 am

n16ht5 wrote:
you are missing a lot on your list!!! food, stoves, camping gear??? racks for your bike?

advrider has some excellent info.

and for adv rides I don't use hyd packs.. i use stainless steel water bottles, so I can boil water in the bottle if I need to.

I'm riding out of a house and from another pit vehicle for the Baja 500. I'm packing a snack, but the houses all have kitchens :) I need the minimum for essentially a day ride in the Mexican desert. I probably will not be riding alone. I thought about a rear rack, but I wasn't sure if my budget allowed. I need tires and tools first!

Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 9:17 pm

first of all can i ride with you? i think it is destiny that i be your riding partner. because we both have the little piglets aka crf230s, when are u leaving again? i might be able to take some time off.

things i carry. every tool possible to take the bike apart and back together. you never know. dont forget that one wrench, check over your bike 3 times to make sure u have each tool required to disasmble each nut screw bold, you name it

master links 2
chain break, press, rivit. motion pro
ogio flight fest which fits all of it and water/food
21 inch tube, patch kit, tire irons. valve stem remover. might want to bring two or 3 tubes if u can leave them on the pit truck
big heavy duty zip ties, wire
electrical wire to rewire some things if needed
duct tape
first aid kit, with medicines benadryl, tylenal Ibprofen,
survival kit,
gps with mexican topo loaded. if they have it.

and if u can put stuff on the pit truck.

u might want to bring extra oil. i did the desert 100 and i burned a little oil that day on my bike and it only has 2500 miles on it. if were to do another 100 miles that day of that type of riding i might of toasted the motor. to be afraid to check it often out there in that heat. gas, o ring safe chain lube,

any how thats all i can think of right now. im forgetting a few items i know it.

oh and did i mention i want to go with you?
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/9/2011, 9:26 pm

oh i forgot, the must accessories for that bike if u area really going to take this off road. and trust me and others will also believe me that have ridden with me.

skid plate

is a must! if u want to save your engine from being damaged, buy one. this bike has a very low ground clearance and things tend to pop out and bite it easily especialy at higher speeds and with such a soft suspension. my skid plate has taken a beating. and if i did not have it my motor/frame would of been thrashed

bark busters!

you never know when u might get a little loose or the front end wash out on you, and when it happens the first thing to break is your clutch leavers , brake leavers. this will prevent them from braking. not guarunteed but will help a lot. i also recomond if u can put an extra brake. clutch lever on the pit truck, go ahead and buy those to.

woflman front fendor tube pack works great i have never lost it or as it fallen off.

and last not not least being that our bike has a low ground clearance u will and i mean it u will snag your foot shifter on something wheather it be a rock or that stiff sage brush. it will bend and bend so i would buy one that has a spring on the toe part of it and put the extra in the pit truck.

needle knows vise grips, hose clamps,

if i think of anything else i will post it again

chris
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/10/2011, 9:24 am

we need pics of your bike and how its set up??? lurk
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Murray211

Murray211

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime5/10/2011, 10:45 am

Chris - whew! We should be riding buddies! You are in in the Seattle area right?

Here is my bike...set-up = stock + BBR pipe - emissions junk - airbox lid...for now. I just ordered some stuff (Like wraparounds for some handguards) that should be here Friday.
I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! 215236_641106221223_39205130_34541897_1260514_n
+ me on said bike before mods (I'm really short. I can only get a solid tip-toe down on ONE side of this bike.) I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! IMG_1255

We are putting it on the dyno this week to get the jetting correct. Then I traded someone for their 230L wheels, so I have an 18 & 21 coming. Next week I'm ordering some Maxxis tires (and tubes) but I get to have my first real ride at Juniper this weekend if all goes well and I get the wheels swapped. The Baja team is doing some testing and tuning and they made room for me to come along and ride also.

The tool kit I ordered seems to have everything minus a few things, and I ordered an MSR skid plate. Why oh why would you make any kind of bike without one!? Unless it's a bicycle. The other stuff is on my list, but I need to add chain breaker tool. I don't have one and I'ma need one.

I should add oil to my list. There will be some chain lube somewhere down there I can use. I'm going to get some help to fab up a new intake for this stupid thing. Paper air filter = dumb, but I ordered a spare one of those also as there won't be time before Baja to get it done.

What shift lever did you buy? I'll add that to my list. I was going to order some ASV levers for up top, also. I'll have to look into the Wolfman tube pack.

Eventually I'm going to get the Trail Tech dealy with the gps in it, but for now it's paper maps, mental notes, and a spot tracker :) My ex has an ogio vest I can use, but it's black (hot) and an XL, which would be fine for fitting OVER my chest protector and backpack, but I'm not sure I'll need it yet. When I get my bag and start cramming things in, I'll know!

Thanks for your help guys! Please if you have other suggestions let me know! It's all helpful!!
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime8/25/2011, 1:29 pm

I know Mexico is iffy in some spots but I hope we have not lost Murray211 out in the middle of it scared . Hellooooooooo helloooooo Baja 500 ride report lurk
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime8/25/2011, 3:50 pm

Funny...been thinking the same thing since he hasn't mentioned Naches at all!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!   I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need help & your opinion on gathering supplies!
Page 1 of 1