PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.

Go down 
+2
novocaine
Hodakaguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Empty
PostSubject: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 3:24 pm

Here's a quick overview of our plan. Head to the Alvord Desert in OR, camp for two nights there then head south on the bikes for 3 days of exploring the remote regions of NV. Camp at Soldier Meadows and maybe head as far south as the Black Rock Desert. One of the top items on my list is to locate the crashed B24 Liberator that rests in the Pueblo Mountains above Denio NV, it's eluded me for three years (See my ride reports in my Sig line) so this may just be the year to find it!

I posted an open invitation on ADVRider and here for anyone that wanted to join in on the ride so I won't know who all is going until we get down to the Alvord Desert. Three of the riders have already had to cancel last minute so who knows how many will make the trip.

This ride report will be Pic Heavy! The pictures are a combination of Andy's and I pics.

Day 1:

We roll out early for the Alvord and arrive at 3pm on the "Dry" Alvord lake bed. Feels great to be back down here again!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02145

The lake bed is full of water still so we search around a bit for a place to park Don's trailer. I look down and notice he has a flat! We had two flats down here last summer....I guess we'll get it out of the way early this time :D

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02143

We finally head back to the spot right above the hot springs since that's the only dry place to park the camper. One more day until we head south on the bikes to NV! Oh Yeah!!! The desert bike fleet.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1030817

My 530 ready to do battle with the desert....bring on Adventure!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02151

James getting ready to head out on the "Fat Thing". It's a RV90 that he installed a 140cc LIfan into, he cruised all over on that bike.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02150

I walked over to check out the hot springs...just as I remembered them. Can't wait to go for a soak tonight!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02211

Josh from CA had arrived the previous day and was out exploring on the bike when we arrived. He rolled back into camp on his 640 and I noticed his rear tire was flat! He headed up the hill to his camp to install a new heavy duty tube in the rear tire.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02169

Looking back at the Playa...I've never seen this much water in the desert...Crazy!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02161

I headed back down to camp to get ready for a soak in the hot springs. A lightning storm had been going on out in the distance and it wasn't long before the lake bed was completely surrounded by a awesome thunder storm. Dust started blowing across the playa and lightning was striking all over the lakes surface. I managed to catch 4 strikes with my camera. Very Cool! After a long soak I headed to bed...ready for tomorrows adventure.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02199

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02195

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02189

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02207

LOTS more to come...the main ride report starts on Day 3.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 3:25 pm

Day 2. Miles on Bike: 4365, HRS on bike: 136.2

I woke up and headed down for a soak in the springs. Soon everyone was up and it was time to have some fun on the bikes. My friend Andy would be showing up today with his 530 so while we were waiting Don, Terry and I decided to play up in the hills a bit above the springs.

Picture of the canyon directly above camp

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02729

The end of the Playa is just starting to dry out. I doubt that it will fully dry out this year.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02282

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02283

Don and I heading up the trail.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1010593

Up in the hills heading towards the first abandoned mine above camp.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02235

Don slipped down into a wash

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02240

Andy arrived so we unloaded the bikes and decided to head down to Borax Hot Springs, then on to Fields for a world famous milk shake!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1030844

Borax Hot Springs

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCI0144

Josh arriving at the Springs. His tire is holding up great...but his rear brake keeps locking up and over heating, will have to look at that when we get back to camp.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1010596

Borax Lake. There used to be a Borax mining operation located here. It's a warm lake and the source boils up in the middle of the lake. The Borax Lake Chub is a small fish that can only be found in this lake, pretty amazing it can live in water with high Arsenic concentrations.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1030845

My dad checking the temp in one of the hot pools. You can swim in the lake and there is one pool cool enough to soak. It's located at the very end of the chain off pools.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1010616

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. P1010617

A couple other shots of the pools, true Yellowstone quality.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN0978

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN0975

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN0971

After checking out the hot springs we headed to Fields to get a World Famous Milk Shake!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02255

A ride report through Fields wouldn't be complete without a picture of the World Famous Milk Shake sign.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02257

Andy and Josh enjoying their shake. Yummm....

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02256

After having shakes at Fields we headed back to camp to play in the hills a bit and prep for our bike adventure that starts in the am. Josh is going to look at his rear brake and see if he can get it functioning again.

Once back at camp Andy and I played around in the hills a bit above camp, we checked out the what was left of the miners cabin located directly below the first abandoned mine.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02264

The first year I came up here the walls were intact and the cabin was in pretty nice cond...not sure what happened to it since then.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02266

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN0995

After checking out the cabin we rode up to the first mine. This shot was taken from the mine looking back down at the lake bed.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02290

And another shot of the lake full of water.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02277

There is a lot of water damage up in the hills. There used to be a wooden rail track running down the hill right where the wash out is located and the lower audit is completely covered now with tailing that have slid down the hill.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02276

Here's a picture from a past trip to this mine showing the tracks

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. IMG_3787

More pictures of this mine, cabin, mines and relics are located in my other ride report here: CLICK HERE

Andy and I headed back down to camp to soak and finish preparing for tomorrows ride. We stopped and talked to Josh on the way down to find out the status of his rear brake. It looks like the master cylinder is toast so he is going to head home in the am....leaving Andy and I to head out into NV on our own.

Bring on NV!

Lots more to come!

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 8/12/2011, 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 3:31 pm

Day 3: Miles on Bike: 4434, HRS on bike: 138.2

Andy and I woke up early and had the bikes loaded and ready to roll. Our plan was to locate the crashed B24 Liberator then head south to Soldier Meadows. We broke camp and headed to Denio for Fuel before starting the ride into the Pueblo Mountains.

After a stretch of slab run we arrived at Denio Junction.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02292

No ride report through Denio would be complete without a picture of God's Ride.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02293

We left Denio Junction and headed out to find the Bomber...I wasn't exactly sure how to locate it and we soon found ourselves at Bog Hot Springs. We stopped to check out the Hot Springs. Bog is really cool, it's more like a hot river than a springs. I will be back here some day to camp and ride.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02294

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1027-1

After lots of looking at the GPS and talking to a local that passed in a car we headed out again in search of the B24. Here we started climbing up into the mountains, you can see Denio Junction off in the distance.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02300

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02301

We stopped on the way to check out an abandoned mine, I headed up to see how far in the audit went.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1030

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02303

Not exactly sure what they were mining here but the tailing had some sort of mineral in them. The audit only went in about 15 feet so I imagine whatever they were after wasn't to abundant.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02304

Looking back at the bikes from the mine, lots of wide open country down here.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02307

We left the mine and started working our way further up into the mountains.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02310

Andy blasting through a grass meadow

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02319

Stopped for a picture in the meadow.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02315

Getting closer!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02316

And there it is!

"On February 9, 1945 at approximately 10 PM a B-24 "Liberator" bomber crashed into a rocky ledge in the Pueblo Mountains in southeastern Oregon. The plane was on a "round robin" navigation training mission from Gowen Field near Boise, Idaho to Hamilton Field in California.
An eyewitness in Denio recalled seeing the plane fly over Pueblo Mountain on its return from California and, for some unknown reason, turn sharply to the left, narrowly missing the summit as it crossed back over to the southwest. This maneuver cost the plane 2500 feet in altitude and a few seconds later it crashed into the west-side of the mountain at the 7500-foot level. All 11 men on board were killed. The cause of the crash was never determined." Taken from the BLM Website

If you would like to learn more about this crash Oregon Field Guide did a story on it a while back, you can watch it here: CLICK HERE

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02396

The wreck is scattered over a football size area on the slope.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02349

Andy and I took a lot of pictures at the crash site...so I'll post a lot of pics here.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02390

A heavy piece of armor plate, still has army green paint on it!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02389

Main landing gear

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02386

The bomber burned when it went in, the extreme heat discolored the chrome on the damper.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02387

One of the super charger assy.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02375

Lots of melted aluminum.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02351

Another engine

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02333

Engine and super charger

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02344

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02343

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02342

More parts

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02341

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02352

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02336

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02332

Looks like some sort of inter cooler

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02331

More parts

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02338

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02337

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02373

Cylinder with part of a exhaust manifold attached.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02383

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02381

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1048

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02368

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02372

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02350

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02330

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02326

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02327

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02323

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02324

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02325

They were so close to making the top of the hill

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02376

Another panoramic shot.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02397

Andy at the crash site

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02348

There were several wild flows growing at the crash site...it's amazing to see this much green this late in the season up here.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02363

Another shot of the bikes in the meadow

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02358

One last shot of the wreck site before we head out for Soldier Meadows.

**On a side note I talked to a guy in Sumpter Oregon a few years ago that said he came up here and hauled off several parts of the bomber..including the remains of the ball turret to send back east to his sister. PLEASE don't remove anything from this site! If everyone that came up here did that there wouldn't be anything left for future people to explore. The turret assy and other parts of the bomber are visible in the PBS video linked above...but are gone now.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02328

After we left the bomber my stomach wasn't feeling to good and I just wanted to rest in the shade for a bit so we decided to head back to Denio Junction, get fuel, rest, then head on to Soldier Meadows. I rested at Denio for about a hr then we hit the road again.

Andy cruising down the main road to Soldier Meadows

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02400

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02402

Some cool eroded rock formations on the way to Soldier Meadows.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1088

Andy captured me cruising down the highway

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1071

We finally arrived at Soldier Meadows. This is a very historical place and owned by Jim and Kathy, the nicest people you'll ever meet! There is an original army fort on their ranch that dates back to the mid 1800's. For the history of the Soldier Meadows ranch CLICK HERE.

Soldier Meadows is an oasis in the middle of the desert. They welcome outsiders to camp at their ranch, use their hot springs and you can even have home cooked meals and showers! Kathy will make sure you are comfortable during your stay. I will be back here again!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02419

We set up camp and cooked our dinner in the shade.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1091

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02411

I charged up my phone and gopro while I was here :-)

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02417

Here's a picture of the original army fort that's still standing.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1097

After we ate diner Kathy asked if we would like some home make ice cream...we couldn't turn that down! We ate desert and headed back to the tents. I was going to head down and soak in one of their two natural hot springs that they have on the ranch but fell asleep laying in my tent before I had a chance, Oh well, the extra sleep felt great!

Andy caught some dear playing in camp after I fell asleep.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1103

Lots more adventure to come!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
novocaine

Bike : 11 ktm 530 XcW six days

PostSubject: that is so amazing   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 10:07 pm

I am still upset I had to miss out on this one!!!! next year I am in for sure! planning it already. let's get the date on the calendar!

Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 10:20 pm

novocaine wrote:
I am still upset I had to miss out on this one!!!! next year I am in for sure! planning it already. let's get the date on the calendar!

Yeah wish you could have made it as well. I'm already planning for next year...I'll have dates firmed up soon thumb

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/12/2011, 10:21 pm

Day 4:
Miles on Bike: 4620
Hrs on Bike: 142.7

This day will be picture heavy!

Woke up early at Soldier Meadows after a great nights sleep. We decided to eat breakfast at the ranch this morning, they served french toast, bacon, eggs and toast....it was a great meal! We each took 2 gallons of fuel before heading back out on the trail.

Doesn't get any more accurate than this...a gallon cider jug. You get your fuel one gallon at a time. Here Andy is getting ready to top off.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02420

I forgot his name but this is one of the hired hands at the ranch, he's a glass blower and pilot as well. He's getting ready to head to Burning Man to help set up the runway on the Black Rock Desert.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02421

And my bike taking fuel

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1116

We weren't sure if we would make it back to Soldier Meadows tonight so we loaded all our camping gear back onto the bikes and headed for Fly Canyon.

This is a historical marker on the road to Fly Canyon, Soldier Meadows was originally called Mud Meadows by people heading out west on the Applegate Trail.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02427

Since I was running the GPS I was usually in the lead. When we would get to a cattle gate I'd open it up and ride through, Andy would close it after he came through. We did this routine numerous times out on the trail. Here Andy is closing one of the many gates we passed through.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02423

The entrance to Fly Canyon. Here's another historical marker, notice the spelling.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02430

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02431

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02429

We soon came to an abandoned ranch so we stopped to check it out. Here's a panoramic shot of the ranch.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02451

A couple of buildings still standing

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02432

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02433

Andy checking out the inside of the buildings, lots of messages written on the walls from previous passers by.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02440

Inside the main house

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02447

I thought these shingles where interesting that were covering the side of the house, made to look like brick. :-)

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02445

Bikes parked at the ranch, getting ready to head into High Rock Canyon.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02444

Jack rabbits were everywhere down here

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1127

Looking out at the entrance to High Rock Canyon from the ranch

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02450

High Rock Canyon is a beautiful place. Wagon trains would pass through this canyon on their trip out west.

More historical information on High Rock Canyon can be found here: CLICK HERE

Looking back at the entrance to High Rock Canyon.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02481

And here comes Andy

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02483

One of our first stops in the canyon was Mail Cave. Settlers on the wagon trains would leave mail in this cave for family members or friends that were coming behind. It's hard to imagine what it would have been like to travel through this country with horse and wagon.

Here my 530 sits in front of Mail Cave.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02460

And a couple minutes later Andy arrives.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02464

Mail Cave

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02454

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02457

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02459

Historical Graffiti on the bluff next to Mail Cave, 1852!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02468

During breakfast this morning Jim had told us that there are two caves in High Rock Canyon but most people only find Mail Cave. He said there was another cave a couple hundred yards away from Mail Cave hidden behind a rock that had more writing inside from the settlers. After checking out Mail Cave I set out to find the second cave, here I'm hiking along the bluffs.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02470

See the second cave?

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1152

Here I'm standing at the entrance to the cave. If Jim hadn't told us about the cave we would have passed right by it.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1160

It's a small cave and there are two entrances, a small gap at the top and a large hole down lower. Here Andy is standing by the upper entrance.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02475

And here's Andy inside the cave, taken from the lower entrance

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02480

More writing inside the cave. The BLM says this writing was written in wagon grease, since it's out of the weather it's survived intact.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1162

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02477

There was more writing in the cave by the entrance but it was no longer legible.

Here's a shot of me looking up from the cave.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1168

After checking out the caves we continued up the canyon. Beautiful scenery at every turn.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02484

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1175

Here Andy is getting ready to cross a creek

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02489

Hit it a tad fast LOL. Oh well, it's hot out side and the water feels great.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Vlcsnap-2011-08-12-05h34m45s128

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Vlcsnap-2011-08-12-05h35m55s102

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Vlcsnap-2011-08-12-05h35m28s142

Yep...wet. :D

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02490

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02491

After leaving High Rock Canyon we cut through Yellow Rock Canyon. Here we stopped to check out a small cabin.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02492

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02493

Parked at the cabin with the High Rock Canyon in the background.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02494

Lot's of yellow rock.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1181

Once through Yellow Rock Canyon the roads smoothed out a bit and we made some time.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1221

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02500

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02512

The Ruby Pipeline. They are just finishing the installation of a 42" Natural Gas Pipeline that will supply the CA market. We crossed the pipelines path several times throughout our trip. They are at the point now where they will be doing remediation work.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02516

Andy and I looked at the maps and decided to head to Cederville CA next for fuel and food...off we go!

CA off in the distance.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02519

The road passed by another "Dry" lake bed. The water smelled terrible!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02522

We found a nice little bakery in Cederville that served lunch. Since we had cell service and full 3G we decided to make calls home and catch up on emails as well.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02529

Andy catching up on his phone calls. The food here was great and the portions were HUGE! I should have taken a picture of our plates when they brought them out.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02527

After lunch we filled the bikes with fuel and topped off the hydration packs with water. We decided to try and make it back to Soldier Meadows tonight to camp, the thought of grass and shade to pitch the tent in sounded pretty good!

Back out on 8A heading to NV. I noticed this rock that someone had painted a shark face on...pretty cool!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02532

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02531

8A is pretty much a boring long gravel road so since we still had time we decided to head out in search of something more off the beaten path.

This road should do nicely!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02536

Cabin off in the distance.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02537

Closeup of the cabin. We were going to check it out but it didn't look to abandoned.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02539

Andy taking a picture of the cabin

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02540

This road was great, parts of it looked like it hadn't had traffic for years. It was rough, dusty and rocky....Perfect!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02546

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02554

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1271

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1275

The views are incredible out here!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02558

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02559

After a while we came upon the remains of another cabin.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02567

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02568

We rode up to have a closer look, not much left of this one.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02569

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02573

Bikes parked at the cabin

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02571

After leaving the cabin we came around a corner to find a huge group of wild horses. I wish I had the helmet cam running as one group starting running right beside us for a bit.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02581

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02579

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02578

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1342

Crossing the pipleline again

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02582

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02586

Coming down a silt road, almost back to Soldier Meadows

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1449

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02596

Home sweet home at Soldier Meadows. We cooked dinner out of our back packs tonight and rested in the shade.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02600

Jim and Kathy came over to chat a while.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1469

Awesome day on the trail today!

Lots more to come!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/13/2011, 10:13 am

thumb
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/13/2011, 10:02 pm

Day 5
Miles: 4805
Hrs: 147.7

We woke up early and cooked some instant oat meal for breakfast. We each purchased 1 gallon of fuel just to make sure we had enough, we'll be working our way to Denio again today then back to the Alvord to meet back up with family that's still camped there.

We said goodby to Jim and Kathy and headed east out of Soldier Meadows to play in the mountains a bit. The scenery up there is incredible!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1489

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02615

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02627

It's amazing how green everything is.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02630

Andy heading down a rocky slope...I really should have stopped and snapped a few pictures of the rocky sections, there are some rough trails out there!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02625

More incredible scenery.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02644

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02646

Andy playing with a cattle gaurd

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02631

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02634

I could spend weeks up here riding around and soaking in the view.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02651

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02652

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02660

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02655

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02669

Andy bombing down the trail

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02654

Some cool rocks in the distance

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02661

Another Cabin along the trail. This one had No Trespassing signs all around so we settled for pictures from the trail

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02662

We finally worked our way up to the abandoned dozer. No passage through this area would be complete without a stop here. Not sure why this dozer got left at 7000 ft in the middle of know where or what they were trying to do with it up here. There is a couple small ditches that they were building but I'm not sure why. My guess is it broke down and wasn't worth trying to retrieve so they just abandoned it where it sat.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02681

Andy soaking in the view, it's incredible from this peak!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02708

Still a little snow up on top

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1794

Me in my desert sun hat taking pictures of the bikes in the distance

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1800

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02698

Home brew repair to the main pins holding the lift pivot in place. Guess they wern't worried about having to remove it for service any more LOL.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02699

I've never heard of this brand of Dozer before

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02700

Andy getting some stick time

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02713

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02704

This dozer has a different way of tilting the bucket that seems overly complicated and would require a high amount of maint. Not sure why they didn't just pivot the hydraulic ram off the main lifting arm and attach the other end of the ram directly to the bucket like most equipment...maybe this arrangement was stronger?

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02715

While were were at the dozer we sat down and ate lunch. Nothing like tuna and banana chips for lunch!

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02683

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02692

We left the dozer and headed back down to Denio.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02720

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1543

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02728

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1686

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1714

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSCN1669

Back to Denio Junction one last time for Fuel and a Burger.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02721

Back to the Alvord again. It was a great trip! No wrecks and the tool pack never had to come out of the bag.

I can't say enough good about the giant loop luggage that we both used on the trip. I've used Giant Loop luggage for several long off road trips now and it's worked flawlessly every time. If you want to be able to ride like you don't have the luggage with you the Giant Loop is the only option.

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02724

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. DSC02725

Can't wait for the next trip!

Ending Miles on bike: 4939
Ending Hrs on Bike: 151.3

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/27/2011, 12:12 am

That is epic
big cheers
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
curayjusdad

curayjusdad

Bike : 2007 DRZ 400

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/29/2011, 8:53 pm

+1 that was awesome. cheers That is why I want to ride dual sport. See the back country!

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/31/2011, 12:58 pm

Holy moly - EXACTLY the sort of adventures I am into - I was born in a mining town, so this kind of exploring is in my blood...i
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime8/31/2011, 7:57 pm

Thanks, that is my favorite type of riding by far as well! I love finding/exploring historical sites, mines etc. I can't wait to get back down to the desert for another adventure thumb

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime9/10/2011, 2:23 pm

That dozer was made from 1940 thru 1956. I have the exact same bike as you....what do you think of the Acerbis tank? The previous owner gave me that exact same tank...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.   Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Riding through History - NV...A Land Lost in Time.
Page 1 of 1