PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Empty
PostSubject: Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"   Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 2:26 am

The bike I recently picked up has a Sicass Racing headlight switch installed and there was a couple problems with it. This switch was mounted on a previous bike and has about 200hrs worth of use on it. When you turn the lights to the off position the slightest bump of the switch would turn lights back on. I was constantly finding my lights on when I thought they were off. Second when the switch gets wet the lights would come on no matter what position the switch is in. After riding this weekend I washed the bike and the lights came on, I blew the water out of the switch with the air compressor but still couldn't get them to turn off. Some surgery on the switch was in order.

Remove the switch from the bar and remove the screw holding the light switch assy to the housing.

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03069

Pull the switch out of the housing. Next bend the tab back slightly to free the plastic button on the switch, then remove the parts from the switch.

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03064

Exposed switch contacts (These were very dirty, I had already wiped them with my finger before taking the pic).

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03056

Dirty!

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03058

Clean all the electrical contacts up, I used a small burnishing brush. When re-assembling coat all the contacts with dielectric grease to keep them waterproof and help prevent corrosion.

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03061

This is the reason that my switch is so easy to bump from the off position, one of the indent holes is to small. The metal ball on the back side of the plastic switch catches in the holes on the metal plate to hold the switch in position. The indent hole for the "OFF" position isn't big enough and the ball won't drop down into it, the slightest bump of the switch then lets the contacts close again turning on the lights. I took a small points file and opened up the "OFF" indent hole until it engaged the ball on the switch. Keep trial fitting, filing, fitting until it works correctly.

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03060

Enlarged hole

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03062

Switch back together and firmly in the off position.

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" DSC03067

Re-assemble the switch and test.

I'm sure this "fix" will last quite a while but the design of this switch assy is pretty poor. I'm going to look into other switch options.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"   Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 8:47 am

Is this on the 2010 KTM? what happened to the OEM switch and why -
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"   Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 9:12 am

KTM Kirkland wrote:
Is this on the 2010 KTM? what happened to the OEM switch and why -

It's actually on a 2010 XCW that's been plated. I think I'm going to replace it with the KTM Euro CEV switch assy.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"   Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Icon_minitime9/13/2011, 9:16 am

Ah. THe OEM switch looks to be of high quality.
The key mechanism on my bike looks like it is from a freaking kiddie car. They really are racing machines with a plate --
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"   Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Icon_minitime11/1/2011, 6:23 am

I got the SicAss switch due to the factory exc switch on my 530 was too bulky and got in the way of the clutch lever. Was a bad design from the start.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"   Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sicass Headlight Switch "Fix"
Page 1 of 1