PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?

Go down 
+3
Fivehundie
Inspector
DR
7 posters
AuthorMessage
DR

Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Empty
PostSubject: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime6/25/2012, 2:49 pm

I was thinking of researching some dirt bikes then set that idea aside as cumbersome since I don't have a truck or trailer. Even though DS means compromise I think it's a better all-around option in my circumstance. I'd be looking pre-owned and inexpensive for my very first DS. $1000 or $2000 if possible (i.e. reliable yet inexpensive). So, I'm 5'7. About 125 lbs. What do you recommend I look at? I appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime6/25/2012, 3:43 pm

Welcome, HI!!
Back to top Go down
DR

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime6/25/2012, 3:55 pm

Inspector wrote:
Welcome, HI!!

Thanks. Are there many gal DS riders at this board?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime6/26/2012, 6:40 am

Sad There were 3 that I know of....they don't post anymore.

It's a very quiet bored Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  4131362489
Back to top Go down
Fivehundie

Fivehundie

Bike : Honda CR500 (3), XR650L (aka: Oink)

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime6/26/2012, 10:24 am

DR

Ask yourself the following questions: 1)How much will I be riding on the street vs off road, 2)Will I be needing to maintain freeway speeds at times, 3)Do I prefer water cooled or air cooled, 4)At 5' 7" do I want to be on my tippy toes or flat footed while I'm stopped, 5)How much power do I want/need or am I comfortable with just tooling around, 5)Experience?

Many nice bikes to choose from:

• Suzuki DR200 31.9" seat height (little underpowered in my book)
  • Yamaha XT225 31.9" seat height (tad more power than the DR)
  • Kawasaki KLR250 33.7" seat height (Water cooled!)
  • Suzuki DRZ400S 36.8" seat height (Much more power than the previous three)(taller)

They just get bigger, faster, and more expensive from here. There are also lower links available to bring the seat height down a little on the taller bikes. Hope this helps.

Its always nice to see new female dual sporters Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  5543
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime6/26/2012, 8:22 pm

Hello ! Good luck with the hunt for the DS. They are all fun bikes. Most bikes can be modded to fit you and your likeings. I would say you are looking in he 200-400cc class. Lots of older cool scoots out there to pick from.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime7/3/2012, 1:01 pm

Hello, TW200 Yamaha or XT225/XT250 are great dual sports. Honda CRF230L is good also. They have elec start and low seat height. Where are you located?

Thia is a good bike here..

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/mcy/3112925300.html
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime7/8/2012, 10:44 am

Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  3252096792 You might consider sending a PM to member "Ladybug." She is 100% female dual sport and very active in regional DS activity.

I'm sure she would be willing to point you in the right direction. Welcome and enjoy the journey! :-)

griz
Back to top Go down
Fivehundie

Fivehundie

Bike : Honda CR500 (3), XR650L (aka: Oink)

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime7/23/2012, 9:24 am

2013 CRF250L: NEW DUAL-SPORT RIDE
Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  13CRF250L
Back to top Go down
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime7/27/2012, 1:52 pm

The new L looks great. I have the 230M with L wheels and some Maxxis tires and at 5'1" it's generally not safe for me to ride on the street because I can't touch very well and in some terrain, not at all. It's a great bike, but the lack of suspension makes it hard to go fast on anything that might get whooped out or have a g-out in it. Otherwise, it is a great bike. The TW200 I imagine is also a great bike. My friend has a klx250 and she is about your size. She loves it and I wish mine had a bit more power. XT225/250 might be a good choice.

A good resource for women is twowheelfemales.com

I am a member there, however I don't frequent the site that often any more. Or this one much... Whistling
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?    Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lady DS riders, which bikes do you recommend?
Page 1 of 1