PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics

Go down 
+8
n16ht5
Meberhar
Relaytech
Inspector
mamacone
DEisenhard
Shane
Hodakaguy
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/28/2012, 6:25 am

Meberhar wrote:
This is great! Your van is looking really nice. I started mine a while back and am in pretty much the same point as you are at the moment. It really is looking good! Keep up the great work.
Cheers,
Mike

What ya building? Subaru conversion?

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/28/2012, 6:25 am

Progress.

Installed the drivers side trailing arm.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09953

It started to rain early in the am and the forecast didn't look like it was going to change all weekend so a improvised shelter was in order.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09954

Brakes re-installed. To save time I had a few of the smaller driver side parts powder coated at a local shop while I was working. They powdered the mating surface area on the hub although I told them to leave that bare. I will strip it and re-powder it myself later, don't want a wheel loosening up if the powder wears etc.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09956

Shock and spring installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09962

Brake lines installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09965

Wheel installed and axle nut torqued. Sitting on it's wheels again! :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09971

Before...

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09433

After...

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09962

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/28/2012, 7:52 am

Kinda looks like it is Baja ready! Just think.... camping and 1000 miles of sand!
Back to top Go down
Meberhar

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/28/2012, 8:27 am

Yup, I've got a syncro that I'm doing a Subaru conversion on as well. The 2007 STi engine has been ready to go for a while now but when I went to replace the coolant lines to the front I discovered that the power steering lines needed to be replaced. I ended up removing everything and brought it down to the local DYI sandblaster and sandblasted the entire frame and underbody. Followed by coating the undercarriage with Chassis saver and ended up having to replace some brake lines as well ... then I thought ... while I'm in here I may as well get the rad checked. Replaced it too. Then the power steering rack got replaced, the ball joints, tie rod ends, all the bushings. Got new springs, shocks ... Was taking that stuff apart and found the upper control arms were all seized up. Had to cut them off (through the bushings) and replaced all the hardware with new, everything including new upper control arms from Burley. New axles, all new nuts and bolts ... Since I had everything apart I decided to make my own big brake and do that conversion, put disks on the rear as well, all new bearings and seals ... Well you get the drift. I was hoping to slide the new engine in this weekend but was unable to because I don't have a Subaru throw out bearing so I can't mate the transaxle and the engine .... Got lots of other stuff to do in the mean time though. Will be starting on that once I get the dogs fed and walked.
Cheers,
Mike

Before
[img]VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 BA570AD9-595B-4554-B447-1E809ACBA3BF-882-000000D7C421C566_zpsaa32db2a[/img]
After
VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 D198cc7f170bfd67e77b0c711d1d0ee0_zps340c16a5
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/29/2012, 4:12 am

Very Nice! You in Wa? I'm getting ready to move my project inside soon...if I can fit it under the door :-).

It's amazing how projects like this snow ball once your going. Are you using the aluminum bell housing?

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Meberhar

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/29/2012, 6:40 am

No, I'm in Calgary Alberta Canada. I know what you mean. I've resigned myself to just replace everything with new parts and completely restore the van. It really stretches a person financially but it is really nice to put new parts back on and at least this way you know it has been done right.
I ended up draining most of the air out of my tires to get the van in. Now with the new lifted springs I'm going to have take the wheels off all together and lower it down on some dollies to get it out. :)
Had a bunch of work done on the transaxle from Daryl down there. I ended up using the aluminum bellhousing for Turbo engines (pull type clutch) from RJES (if your not familiar with him, Richard is in the UK and supplies conversion parts and does rebuilds ... It's nice to know he's out there for additional options). Because I'm going to be pushing about 350hp I wanted to use the stock Subaru clutch. Not to mention I don't really like the idea of the hybrid clutch. Id hate to need one and find out they are out of stock. With that said there is another place that sells them. I ended up using Richards input shaft as well ... It's splined for the Subaru clutch at the one end but has the vw splines at the other, plus it's made out of steel used for racing so it'll handle the power without breaking. It's a really nice set up. I was just working on that this weekend.
Are you using parts from Smallcar. They're in Washington as well aren't they? I've got a buddy up here that's used the entire smallcar conversion kit for his van.

Cheers,
Mike
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/29/2012, 6:51 pm

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh information over load......... Wow, I have never even heard of someone doing this until hodaka started this thread. Now there are two of you. I am starting to like the idea of a subie powered camping van. I didn't realize it was so popular to do.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/29/2012, 7:57 pm

Meberhar wrote:
No, I'm in Calgary Alberta Canada. I know what you mean. I've resigned myself to just replace everything with new parts and completely restore the van. It really stretches a person financially but it is really nice to put new parts back on and at least this way you know it has been done right.
I ended up draining most of the air out of my tires to get the van in. Now with the new lifted springs I'm going to have take the wheels off all together and lower it down on some dollies to get it out. :)
Had a bunch of work done on the transaxle from Daryl down there. I ended up using the aluminum bellhousing for Turbo engines (pull type clutch) from RJES (if your not familiar with him, Richard is in the UK and supplies conversion parts and does rebuilds ... It's nice to know he's out there for additional options). Because I'm going to be pushing about 350hp I wanted to use the stock Subaru clutch. Not to mention I don't really like the idea of the hybrid clutch. Id hate to need one and find out they are out of stock. With that said there is another place that sells them. I ended up using Richards input shaft as well ... It's splined for the Subaru clutch at the one end but has the vw splines at the other, plus it's made out of steel used for racing so it'll handle the power without breaking. It's a really nice set up. I was just working on that this weekend.
Are you using parts from Smallcar. They're in Washington as well aren't they? I've got a buddy up here that's used the entire smallcar conversion kit for his van.

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Mike, That's the same mythology I'm using...want it done right the first time, although I might upgrade the brakes at a later date. I have Burly upper control arms waiting to be installed, along with a SA Grill and lots of other small parts.

I'm getting ready to move my project inside soon. I'm going to try and get the engine/trans installed next weekend then move it into the garage. I located a set of steel rims (removed the tires) so I'm going to get it close to the door then install the steel rims and roll it in on the rims.....it will be close. I looked into the RJES setup, he makes quality stuff! I ended up going with the Rocky Mountain Westy adapter/flywheel. It will use a 100% VW clutch, I'll be running a stage 2.

Small Car Performance did my harness conversion but I've stayed away from them otherwise, to many issues with their products. RJES and RMW have a good rep.

Are you worried about that much HP running through the trans? It seems all the really high HP setups (Turbo's and 6 cyl) eat transmissions (even ones that are modified to "handle" the HP), that was one reason I ditched the 6 cyl and went to the 4 cyl.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/29/2012, 8:04 pm

Shane wrote:
Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh information over load......... Wow, I have never even heard of someone doing this until hodaka started this thread. Now there are two of you. I am starting to like the idea of a subie powered camping van. I didn't realize it was so popular to do.

There are TONS of Subaru powered Vanagons across the US. thumb No two are exactly alike, there are numerous suppliers of parts/conversion kits and most people piece them together from multiple suppliers. There are also several other popular engine conversions, 1.8 Turbo, Diesel conversions etc.

Tons of Info here on the SAMBA: CLICK HERE

thumb

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 10/29/2012, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/29/2012, 8:05 pm

Little progress after work tonight.

Starting to get the engine ready to bolt up to the trans. Installed the new plugs, wires and coil back on the engine.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09974

Installed a Vanagon temp sender in the reverse cooling manifold next to the Subaru sensor.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09977

Bolted up the alternator and AC compressor. Here I ran into a little problem, the stand off for the heat shield is interfering with the AC belt. I pulled the stand off and moved the belt to the other side but it's still rubbing on the standoff. Red Arrow.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09979

I finally just removed the stand off, the heat shield is plenty sturdy so I don't think it will miss this one piece.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09996

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC09991

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Meberhar

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/30/2012, 7:11 am

Putting rims only on the van's a great idea! That should work perfect for getting the van in and out. I didn't want to say it first but I stayed away from them for the same reasons and when I started inquiring about parts the salesman really stumbled when I got technical. He wasn't able to explain it very well and it seemed the parts really wouldn't work for my application. I've heard of sand coming out out of their sand cast aluminum oil pan and that they shatter if you smoke it with a rock. Very bad feature for the Syncro version. They also weren't able to do my wiring for some reason. I guess it was because I was using a newer engine and they weren't sure how to get around the immobilizer. Anyway ... I have pretty strong feelings about Smallcar.
How do you like the heat shield/muffler mount? I shied away from it because I was worried about putting that much bouncing weight on the timing cover bolts. Still haven't figure out what I'm going to do with that ...
As for the transaxle ... As far a I can figure the biggest weakness is in the magnesium maincase. Magnesium is a flexible material and twists a bit under torsion caused by the higher torques in the turbo engines. South African versions use an Aluminum Maincase that is much more rigid and does not flex nearly as much. Changing this is one of the best things you can do to strengthen the transaxle. Unfortunately there are only a couple in North America so they are pretty much impossible to get a hold of around these parts. I've spoke with another guy who's been running a turbo for a few years now, with the aluminum maincase, and has had no issues. That, along with the reinforcing plate that Daryl makes holds the main bearing in place under torsion. Most people just replace the gears with upgraded racing versions along with some other Weddel parts, which is good but not enough. I guess we'll see how it works. Hopefully it'll work out but if not I'm going to be looking at the AWD porsche transaxles as an alternative. I've also included the Porsche 930 axles made out of twisty metal to take up some of the jolts when taking off ... Not to mention all of the extra stuff like the racing gears, Weddel parts all new syncros, sliders, seals, bearings ... Basically a new all aluminum transaxle. I guess time will tell.

Yeah, tonnes of different coversions out there and like you said they are all different. There are definitely quite a few turbos 2.0l engine passing these. Not sure how many 2.5l turbos though.

Here is a couple pics of my engine that's going in.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 6d70231da3445dc0220d4eca8a98ebac_zps7296ec7c

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 5f7b55cf97b7ab5e82faca0cacab4ec7_zps34aa6911

I left the AC compressor off for now. Don't have the AC evaporator, etc. in the van at the moment.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 C5d8795727cc073386ba580e461388f5_zps61dd96ce
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime10/31/2012, 5:35 am

Yep totally agree on SC. I see you went with the RMW pan as well, the idea of a cast pan didn't appeal to me at all, the steel pan can at least take rock hits. The RMW heat shield/exhaust hanger is rock solid! I was concerned about it as well at first but after talking to several people that are running the setup decided to go that route, once assembled it's very sturdy.

Lots of discussion on the 930 axles, stronger axle...more torque transferred to the trans. Since I won't be doing rock crawling (and don't have the high HP) I decided to stay stock on the axles and use them as fusable links to hopefully save the trans if I ever do something that causes that high of stress.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/2/2012, 4:57 pm

Time to get the engine and trans mated up.

First off remove the Subaru flex plate on the Engine.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00031

Ok....removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00033

RMW Adapter plate in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00039

Ok...time to get the flywheel ready to mount up. The RMW flywheel comes with the pilot bearing pre-installed. The RMW Roller bearing is a lot beefier than the OEM VW needle bearing.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00041

Since it's a sealed bearing I decided to check it for grease before installing it on the engine. I learned a long time ago with sealed dirt bike wheel bearings that a lot of new sealed bearings are almost dry from the factory, it's a good idea to check/pack them with good grease before installation.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00042

To my surprise the bearing was packed full of grease....Nice! I would have liked to flush the grease out and replace it with good quality Bell Ray grease but since the bearing is already installed and I can't easily access the rear seal I decided to just button it back up. Once your done just pop the seal back in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00044

Flywheel installed on the engine.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00048

Coating the clutch disk splines with a light coat of Honda Moly 60 Paste.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00051

Sachs/Kennedy Stage 1 Clutch bolted in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00053

Throw out bearing mounted up, input splines and cross shaft arms received a light coat of Honda Moly 60 Paste.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00062

Engine and trans bolted together.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00074

Made a slight bend in the EGR tube for more clearance between the tube and the radiator hose.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00076

Installed a piece of fire braid on the EGR tube, should keep the heat from the tube away from the radiator hose.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00087

More to come.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/2/2012, 5:57 pm

this is going to be one crazy van
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/2/2012, 7:26 pm

Blows my mind to see that transmission bolted up a boxer! I was wondering how it was done, and now I know. More please!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/3/2012, 4:28 pm

Some major milestones today....

Time to get the engine carrier bolted up. Here's the RMW engine carrier parts all laid out.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00091

Urethane bushings assembled with a heavy dose of Bel Ray Waterproof Grease.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00094

Wheeled the engine/trans outside, I decided this would be a good time to hook up the engine and test crank it to make sure the new starter assy was working like it should. Oh yeah, cranks over nice and healthy!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00101

Engine carrier bolted on the engine, just about ready to install. I need to get the proper shouldered metal lock nuts for the engine mount to carrier bar connection, the carrier is temporarily being held in place with regular washers/nuts.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00105

My father and friend Mike came over to help with the install today. Here Mike is helping guide the engine into place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00112

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00116

Engine installed!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00130

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00131

Finished bolting in the carrier bar.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00136

We rolled the bus back down the driveway so we could move it inside....now the fun starts. With the lift springs installed only in the back the bus has a nice stink beetle effect going on right now :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00141

Now time to get the bus into the garage. We drove the wifes Subaru into the garage and tied Mike's 12v winch to the rear tow point......But the weight of the Westy was just to much for the little winch. So we rounded up a few more people to push while the little winch strained to tow the westy up the steep incline. Inch by inch we finally made it to the top.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00144-1

Once to the top of the driveway we lowered the rear of the bus by installing steel rims on the back.....nope that's not going to do it, we'll have to install them on the front as well.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00149

Ok...finally it's ready to be rolled inside.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00152

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00154

Inside the nice dry, warm garage!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00157

We re-installed the tires so I can get under the bus to finish with the engine installation. Now I can roll it back and forth a short distance in the garage depending on what I'm doing at the time. Not a ton of room left in the garage but at least I'll be warm and dry! :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00171

Enough room for the rear hatch to open :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00173

Another shot of the engine installed. Looks like it came that way from the factory! Quite a bit of ground clearance with the shortened oil pan, Once the project is buttoned up I'll fabricate a custom skid plate to protect the engine/oil pan.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00170

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/15/2012, 5:11 pm

Awesome project, and as usual, very well done. Can't believe you found one with that few miles on it. Nice.

How much horse power /torgue will the Suby have? (I missed it if ou already posted it, sorry) WHat is the weight of the van? How much taller are the new tires? What gear ratio are the axles?

Shane, there are a few Subagons in Bellingham, and more than a few in Seattle. I've seen more Subagons than lifted Astro's, that's for sure. I was really thinking about going that route when I was researching vans in general, so did tons of research on the swap, and also looked at 'Yota vans, and Delicas before finally choosing the GM product.

Only needing one weekend to do all the mods I wanted to do was nice, but I can see where the extra 16" of interior length of the Vanagon could sure come in handy.

Looking forward to more thread, and maybe we can hook up with vans and bikes sometime in the next year.

Oh, and BTW, my All Terrains are white letterred, my Mud Terrains are black. And, yeah, I have two garages and my van won't fit in either one. VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 6229
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/16/2012, 12:16 pm

if you ever sell the van I'm first in line
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime11/16/2012, 3:02 pm

n16ht5 wrote:
if you ever sell the van I'm first in line

Be prepared for a bidding war. VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 99711 By the time he's done with it, it will be as nice as anything GoWesty.com has to offer and they are getting $75k to $125k plus for rebuilt Syncro Westy's.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/1/2012, 5:24 pm

It won't be sold any time soon....unless a SUPER ridiculous offer comes along VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 391375

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/1/2012, 5:24 pm

Progress has been pretty slow lately as I've been working a lot and playing with other hobbies :-). It's now time to start getting focused again and make up some ground.

Got a little work done today.

Some trimming is in order to give a little more clearance for the wiring harness. I will trim off the area marked in red that sits right below where the electrical box will go.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00432

Here you can see the piece trimmed off (I will add rubber molding on the edge) and the electrical box back in place. Here wiring has been started, quite a lit of soldering and heat shrinking today.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00474

Re-installed the tail lights and the rear side marker lights. Before re-installing I cleaned all connections and placed a nice thick layer of dielectric grease on all connections to keep them corrosion free and working for years to come

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00440

Had to notch the fuel tank strap to give proper clearance for the main starter cable on the TDI starter. I used POR15 on the bare metal and will seal it again before moving on.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00466

Hopefully progress will pick up and the thread will be updated more often :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/2/2012, 4:43 pm

Taillights and side markers installed with new stainless hardware.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00481

Time to get the freshly powder coated rear axles together, new Lobro CV joints and boot sets ready to go.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00484

A quick trip to a friends house to use his awesome press....oh yeah, this will make it sooooo easy.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00485

Pressing on the new CV joints with the help of a properly sized Snap-On socket :-). The splines were lubed with Moly before pressing the CV's on.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00487

Axles assembled. I will leave the band clamps loose until the axles are bolted in place to make sure there is no twist on them.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00491

The CV's will be packed with a quality synthetic grease when I'm ready to mount them up, until then they will be stored.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00492

Got some misc wiring accomplished today as well, wired the starter up and worked on arranging other misc wiring. Lot's more to go.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime12/14/2012, 6:46 pm

Decided to switch gears a little and start working on the front end. I need to get the new radiator installed, hoses ran etc before I can test run the engine so I decided to just do the whole front end now.

First I'll install the oil dip stick before heading to the front.

The RMW dip stick to go with their shortened oil pan.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00503

Fitted up to the pan.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00504

Top view.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00510

Ok front end up on Jack stands...let the fun begin.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00515

Here we go

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00521

Dust shield looks a little crusty, I don't think your suppose to see through them :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00523

To remove the springs I'll use a KTC spring compressor. If you've never used one of these they are the ticket! Sooooo much safer and easier than the small clamp style compressors plus it doesn't screw up the powder coating on the new springs! The kit comes with shoes for several size springs, it's a little spendy but it's cheaper than a smashed face from a cheap compressor slipping off the spring :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00569

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00571

Compressing the spring. You can see kroil over spray everywhere :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00529

Time to remove the axle

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00534

Starting to look bare.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00539

Using a puller to push out the axle.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00538

Driver side components.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00543

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00544

Time to start on the passenger side. The drivers side retaining bolt stripped...lets see how the passenger side goes.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00548

Nope...It stripped out as well.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00549

Bolt head drilled out, you can just see the line where it's separating in two.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00551

Using the puller to finish separating the stripped bolt.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00557

Separated. I'll get the rest of the bolt out later.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00563

Rust from the dust shield....I'll replace them with Stainless Steel units.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00561

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/24/2013, 5:48 pm

Time to get back on the VW project, been messing with other hobbies but I want to get the bus rolling before spring so it's time to get busy.

Radiator removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00783_zps40c391ad

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00772_zpsee5caf76

Laying out the coolant pipes, time to figure out their layout. Would have been nice if they were supplied with stickers showing which pipe goes where.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00771_zps50339b9f

New SA radiator.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00791_zpsa46288a5

New rad back in the bus.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00793_zps8aa8e14a

Steering rack out.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00773_zpsd975af86

Time to remove the stuck rotor bolts. Drilled through the broken bolt from the back side, the drill bit spun them right out.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00822_zps39f7fb71

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00823_zpsfbe8f891

Time to remove the CV joints from the axles. The inner joints came right off, the outer joints were a different story. They have an internal cir-clip that holds them onto the shaft, in both cases the cir-clip was up tight against one side of the CV, I could only get one side to expand and couldn't get it to fully release.

Since I'm installing new CV joints and I got tired of messing with it I used a skinny wheel and chisel to remove them quickly :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 306_zps0536fd3a

Axles fresh out of the bead blaster.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 310_zps3d6161ea

Removing the bearing race from the hubs

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 312_zpsf2fb4901

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 316_zpsb634e591

More to come.....

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/24/2013, 8:56 pm

NICE!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime1/27/2013, 8:28 pm

Tonight's Progress.

Stock lights removed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00878_zpsb9ed82fa

Wiring in Relays for the high and low beams. Should provide more voltage to the lights and let the high/low switch last longer.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00882_zpsc858541c

Relays wired in, they are sitting on the top right of the fuse panel

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00886_zps2ef5ea69

Wires soldered onto the new head light plugs, and plugged in to the new light.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00894_zps402d113b

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00900_zps185af2d1

The middle lights are a little tricky. You need to temporarily attach the grill to locate where the lights need to go, then mark and drill new holes for the assy. They also need to be adjusted vertically so you need to bend the metal tabs till they are centered properly. Here the new locations are marked and ready to drill.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00896_zps83431403

Old headlights....

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 149

And new headlights.....

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00908_zpsfb516f03

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 DSC00911_zpsaee4aee7

I really like the look of the round headlights, plus I've read where they put out better usable light. Now that I know everything fits and works I will take it apart one more time, seal all the connections and paint/rust proof the new holes that were drilled.

Lots more to come....

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next