PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?

Go down 
+6
dhally
mamacone
Inconceivable
mlyamkaw
Inspector
Ezgoin721
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ezgoin721

Ezgoin721

Bike : 2009 KLR 650

KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Empty
PostSubject: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 11:42 am

Okay, so I bought an 09 KLR 650 without doing enough research, or really thinking about how I wanted to use the bike. I originally thought it would be good to have a bike that could do long miles on the asphalt in search of dirt and trails. But, after a couple of 200 mile asphalt days on the KLR, I've discovered that the better ticket for me is going to be trailering the bike to the area I want to ride because I think the KLR basically sucks on the highway. I have several other road bikes, and if I want to ride on the road, it won't be on the KLR.

Additionally, I think the KLR is nothing short of dangerous on gravel roads. At least with the stock tires. I feel like I'm riding on ice every time I ride on a gravel road it feels like the slightest lean will send the tires, especially the front, washing out like I was on Ice. I literally have to baby the 450 lb beast around every corner to keep it upright.

The KLR has lots of grunt for trail riding, and steep climbs, but it's so top heavy that it's like wrestling a pig on rough trails. And, if/when I dump it, which I've done a few times now, it's nearly impossible to get it back upright by myself when it falls on a side slope, and I'm no whimp. I'm 5'11" and 195 lbs, and have lifted weights for most of my life, and when that beast falls over sideways on a slope, it's just about more than I can do to get it back on it's tires.

Bottom line is, I think I bought the wrong bike! I rode last weekend all through the Blues with a friend on a KTM 500 ESC (?), and he ran away from me like I was standing still on every surface. I'm sure his agressive knobby's had a lot to do with the traction issues, but in researching his bike, I see it's almost 200 lbs lighter than the KLR. That's nearly half of what my bike weighs! No wonder he's pulling wheelies and running trails with ease!

I don't know that I need or want a 500cc, $9,500 KTM, but there must be a better option than the KLR. What do you recommend?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 3:41 pm

Hahaha. I used to ride with others on KLR's. When one falls everyone jumps off and helps.

500KTM to 650KLR is like Aston Martin to Pinto? That is NOT a fair comparison.
*Of course you don't NEED a $9,999 KTM. But of course you WANT one!!!

Must be the stock tires. A 650 should do just fine on dirt roads. They also do just fine on Asphalt. Maybe you are just to spoiled with road bikes? Evil6
Back to top Go down
mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw

Bike : TE 630 300 XCW 1200 GSA

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 5:46 pm

KLR is not a dirt bike, it's a dirt road bike. The KTM is a dirt bike. Depends what you want to do with it. I am really liking the Husky 630, but it has been discontinued. Try finding a Suzuki DRZ 400 if you want a dual sport that isn't horrible on the road. I think the KTM is bad for any highway miles, but can do short stints, and longer with some changes.

Really depends what you want out of the bike, and where it will be spending the most time.

There isn't a perfect answer, that's why I have 3 bikes!!!KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? 423485
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 6:06 pm

Lol I like your write up.

I tried the one bike do it all thing with my XR650L. I had a set of street wheels/sprockets and a set of dirt wheels/sprockets. I put over 20,000 miles on the bike at it really was not any good at either. I am a cheap so I did not want two bikes or spend the big bucks for a new bike.

Long story short I did spend $$$$ for a new KTM530EXC which I have been very happy with so far. I only ride on the pavement for short runs to get to the logging roads or trails.

For a cheap bike look at DZR400, WR250 or now you can plate a dirt bike if you jump through the hoops and figure on hualing the bike to where ever you are going to ride.
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/29/2012, 9:05 pm

The XR650R is a great bike, for a dirt bike it is ok on the road, ok on single track, outstanding on gravel/forest service roads and in the dessert. They are a proven bullet proof design. good ones can be found in the $3,000 range. IMO the only thing the 525/530 KTMs have on the XR650R is the magic button, looks and I believe 30 pounds lighter. PS I had a KLR for a short time, could not wait to get rid of it. Now I kind of miss it, it was a great in town commuter. If you want to ride an XR you can ride mine and see what you think.
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/30/2012, 11:17 pm

You have found, like I did, that Dry Shitties is too far away from the good riding. It's at least 100 miles of hot dry pavement to get to the mountains. I had a KTM 640ADV which is at least as heavy as a KLR, and found the same problem - it was torture riding the road to get there. At least the KTM (after suspension upgrade) worked VERY well once I got to the dirt.

Tires or even tire pressure can make a huge difference on the gravel, as does riding experience. Unfortunately, experience is hard to get on a 450 lb. bike since experience means dropping the bike a few times and Nobody wants to drop a 450 lb. bike.

I got rid of the KTM and replaced it with 2 bikes - the Weestrom for pavement/some gravel and the WR250R for dirt/some roads. The WRR is everything the 650's aren't - lighter weight, very smooth running, easy to pick up/load into trailer, and efficient with fuel. I believe that the WRR is a better dualsport than the DRZ400 due to it's wide ratio transmission and smooth running engine.

What the WRR isn't, is a really good TRAIL bike. It's still too heavy and the suspension isn't up to real rough stuff. For pure trails a 2-stroke is the way to go, or maybe a 250/350 racing 4 stroke.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime8/31/2012, 9:47 am

XR400. cheap, good at everything, fairly light. indestructable
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
RENO

RENO

Bike : 07 KLR 650 2012 Cristini AWD 450DS

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime9/4/2012, 8:12 pm

first thing is, its a gen 2. (08 and up) i have an 07 and while still a bit top heavy, it is 100 lbs lighter and way more durable. i can easily do quad trails at Tahuya with it but its better when you have a half tank for balance reasons. tires are everything but there is give and take. more comfey hwy ride cost you less traction on gravel. like everyone says, you have to define what type of riding you want to do. i went down in size to a 450ds cuz i found single track to be a kick in the pants. i thought of shelling that kind of coin for a new KTM but for 7500 i got an AWD Christini which is a crf 450 clone. of course, sacrificing my ass cuz the seat is half the size of the KLR, hwy speed cuz your basicaly a paperclip in a windstorm at that weight and speed, but the trouble you get into in the woods is fun because if you do break down like i did 10 miles into the naches trail, your not so heavy as to get a tow from a buddy back to camp.

so now i too am working a trade for a couple of KTM 2 smokers and saying good bye to the klr
Back to top Go down
Dee123

Bike : Yamaha WR250R

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime9/6/2012, 4:38 pm

So many things go through ones mind when making a selection of what motorcycle to buy. Someone hit it right up top, theres is no do everything and be the perfect bike scenario. That is why I also have 3 bikes in the garage.

First question to ask is do you want a dirt bike that is street legal or a street bike that is dirt capable. Only you can answer that.

Me personally, I wanted a dirt bike that I didnt have to load up in the truck and drive out to the dirt. I went with the Yamaha WR250R. Plenty of dirt capability for my riding style and I can ride it right out of the garage to get there. Keeping in mind I have no desire to take any 150 mile street travels to get there.

KTM would be the next bigger better step from that but you pay for it too.

Everyone has their own .02$ to add. Find what most suits your style and just ride the crap out of it. We have all bought bikes and later discovered that wasnt the best choice for me. Only way to really know is trial and error until you find it I guess.

D
Back to top Go down
mjn

mjn

Bike : '03 KLR 650

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime10/27/2012, 2:37 pm

What the heck Jeff?

You followin' me? KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? 294495

We really need to ride together one of these days. I haven't made up my mind wether to keep my KLR either..

I will say, my gen 1 does just fine on gravel roads.. new skinz help dramatically!
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime11/2/2012, 6:04 pm

you will never look back once you sell it... come to the dirt side. WR250R, XR400, WR450F, KTM 450/525/530/500. Those are the bikes to have. I love my WR450.
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?   KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

KLR 650 is too heavy...what sould I trade for?
Page 1 of 1