PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Little Spin

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 6:45 am

Not much of a ride, but I couldn't take it anymore, so last night after dinner I got on the XR and took it out to Stratford and back. Just pounding pavement which bites, but it's something. I think I'm still CR spoiled though. I am still very used to twisting the throttle and having dump truck loads of power on tap and am having a hard time getting used to the power delivery on the XR. I was actually looking at KTM 990's last night after I got back, but don't have 15K burning a hole in my pocket. Oh well, the XR works good and is new. I can't wait until it warms up a little bit more. But it was good to get out non the less! thumb
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 7:30 am

Open that XR up!

Removal snorkel on the airbox, re-jet, foam filter and a new muffler/pipe........

It'll wake it up... thumb
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 7:54 am

I already did. I did this thing from 4 strokes.com called daves mods, re-jetted and am running a K&N filter, but stock pipe. Removed all the emissions BS and the bike just feels guttless to me. It tops out at 85 WOT and takes a while to get there. I don't know, I might try a XRR carb and see if that makes any difference. I am also used to having 60+ horse power on tap anywhere anytime. I think I'm just expecting the CR power in an XR wrapper!
Back to top Go down
MortimerSickle

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 8:51 am

XCR500Rider wrote:
I am still very used to twisting the throttle and having dump truck loads of power on tap...

I was actually looking at KTM 990's...
My 950 does have more than twice the power of my XR600, but once I am off the pavement, I find the most important difference is that I can pick up my 600. big
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 8:57 am

Thats true, but according to the spec sheet, the 990 only weighs about 120 more than the 650L. I have really ridden one lung 4 strokes since 1987. So it's been a while. I'll just have to tweak some things a little to get what I can out of this bike.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Does the L have a restricted intake boot?   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 10:20 am

Sounds like you've done your homework. Does the L have a restrictive intake boot and exhaust can?

Thumpertalk seems to have a lot of opinions on how to squeeze the hp without sacrificing reliability.

griz
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 10:46 am

I am a member at thumper talk and 4 strokes.com. They are excellent and helpful sites. I can't help but think that I am expecting more than this bike is cappable of. I've had this bike for almost 2 years now, but haven't really paid it much attention as I was more into the CR's. I'm not looking to go clearing triples and bar banging single track, I am just not real in love with the way this machine performs. For as far as I have to ride the roads to get to where I can have much "dual sport" type of riding, I worry that it's not going to hold up very well going 65-75 mph for long stretches. I'm not going to be hauling it around in the truck just to go riding. Not trying to bitch or anything the worst day on a bike is better than the best day at work for most. I would just expect alot more from a 650cc engine. I may try the XRR carb as the one on the L is a CV style and the other is a simple slide type. I have read that it will make some improvements.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: I suppose I can relate...   Little Spin Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 2:37 pm

Well I hope you get it dialed in. When I first got my XRR I was not sure I would keep it. But not for lack of power.

I'm a big guy and they are sprung for 180 lb. riders from the factory. Mine still had the stock suspension at the time. When I first rode it on dirt roads my hands went numb in less than 20 minutes, I had a couple G-outs and it just would not turn. Like scary would not turn. When I rode it to work the first time it scared the shit out of me and I turned around and took it home because it would not turn with the suspension so loaded in the rear. It was like riding a extended fork chopper. It sucked arse.

So first weekend I dug into my archives and low and behold I had forgot to set sag when I first brought it home. When I checked my clickers, they were all jacked up like somebody tried to adjust them without knowing what they are for. Bottom line is they were set to as stiff as can be, and with my weight I was riding in the middle of the compression stroke in the suspension. It was like riding a giant vibrator on pot holed, washboard dirt roads. Take even a small hit from a pot hole and it felt like you just jumped from a 10 ft. roof to the ground. It hurt to ride the bike.

So with the stock sproingers I was able to set all the clickers to factory stock and I balanced the front and rear of the bike by adjusting preload to it's max factory "safe" compression of the shock spring.

All I can say is the difference was immediate and drastic! It was still a bit choppy on dirt but on road it was like a totally different motorcycle. I hit a few twisties on the way to work and it was great. After that, I sent the suspension to Barnum's for revalve and heavier springs. I had them set it up "plush" for my weight and let me tell you it was the difference between selling the bike and shelving my aspirations to ride again.

I guess my expectations were it would work right out of the box. Or back of the truck in my case (used).

The old statement that there is no perfect bike for "everything" really is true. As where you are looking to get power you are used to from a CR and my expectations would probably have been perfectly met by a little less power, e-start, and street ready XRL with foot pegs and everything.

I hope you can squeeze a little more juice out of it! It really is a great dualsport, maybe some Mefo's and a little different sprocket experimentation will get you what you are looking for. Gear down for offroad power, gear up for longer street trips?

Anyway, just my two cents. Good luck with it. I'm going to be painting the next few days but I'll check in to see how it goes.

regards,

griz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Little Spin Empty
PostSubject: Re: Little Spin   Little Spin Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Little Spin
Page 1 of 1