PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends Empty
PostSubject: GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends   GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends Icon_minitime8/9/2013, 9:31 pm

I recently picked up another 530XCW and now it's time to get it set up :-). First up...get the bars up in the air. On my last 530 I ran the Enduro Engineering bar risers with a SCOTTS sub mount. My current bike came set up with a SCOTTS sub mount and damper already installed, but I decided to go a different direction this time, enter the GatosBros sub mount/bar riser setup. The GatosBros unit has a few advantages over the SCOTTS/Enduro Engineering setup that I felt would equate to a more reliable bar setup. Read below to see the differences between the two setups.

Here's the SCOTTS setup on the current 530.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06026

Here's the Scotts sub mount removed from the bike and sitting next to the GatosBros unit. A few differences are present here. First the Gatosbros mount has a lower profile than the Scotts unit, this will be good news for shorter riders that want a sub mount without as much rise in the bars. The other major difference, and the one that really sold me is the GatosBros mount uses two through bolts all the way into the upper triple clamp. The bolts travel through the risers as well, making a really solid unit. The GatosBros mount is also fabricated out of 7075 aluminum, which is stronger and more $$ to manufacture than 6061 which is what most mounts are manufactured from.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06065

You can see the two through holes in the GatosBros unit, where the Scotts has one through bolt and the risers/bar clamps thread into the sub mount.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06067

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06068

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06071

**Here's the Scotts mount with the Enduro Engineering risers, you can see how they assemble in these pics and why it's a weaker system. Since the mount attaches to the upper triple with just one through bolt the risers can only attach with one bolt as well, leaving a small bump on the back of each riser to trap the risers together as you stack them. I used this setup for 1000's of miles on my past 530's and luckily never crashed with the setup :-)

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06074

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06086

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06078

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06117

**Here's the GatosBros setup, the two bolts both go all the way through the risers, the sub mount and into the upper triple making a rock solid package. You order your risers in the height you need, they are available in 5mm increments. I ordered the 20mm risers for my setup. Machine work and finish are top notch!

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06093

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06107

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06114

Weight of the Scotts mount with EE risers, 12.5oz.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06120

Weight of the GatosBros mount with risers, slightly more due to the longer bolts: 13 5/8" oz.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06123

Bolting up the new mount.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06129

Finished! Fit's like a glove and feels sooooo much better with the bars up the stratosphere again :-) If anyone is looking for a well engineered sub mount I would highly recommend the GatosBros unit! I added a CleanSpeed cable guide on the Damper to keep the cables in check and stop them from wearing on the bars.

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06373

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06371

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06375

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06372

I also added a set of GatosBros hand guard ends today, they really give the end of the bars a finished off look. I love small details like this!

Before....

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06036

And after.....

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06140

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends DSC06379

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends   GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends Icon_minitime8/12/2013, 8:13 pm

Jesse does good work.....thumb
Back to top Go down
craig2211

craig2211

Bike : 2016 KTM 500 EXC 6-days

PostSubject: Re: GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends   GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends Icon_minitime8/13/2013, 3:53 pm

Looks like a clean setup. But you wrote a commercial plugging their parts. Do we all get one for cost if we're members? You know me I'll need one on my next bike.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends   GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends Icon_minitime8/13/2013, 8:02 pm

craig2211 wrote:
Looks like a clean setup.  But you wrote  a commercial plugging their parts. Do we all get one for cost if we're members? You know me I'll need one on my next bike.
LOL. If I like a product I'll share it as others out there are probably looking for a good setup as well, never hurts to get the word out.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends   GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

GatosBros Sub Mount, Bar Risers & Bar Ends
Page 1 of 1