PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What is legal dual sport

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Oncorhynchus

What is legal dual sport Empty
PostSubject: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime1/18/2017, 9:53 am

Howdy,

I'm wondering what constitutes a "dual sport" bike in the eyes of Oregon law.    

I'm totally new to all this.  I'm thinking of getting a used TTR250 for use as a trail bike (I'm 6'0'', 190 lbs).  I want to maximize the number of places I can ride legally, hence my question about dual sport.  What kind of mods would I need to make a TTR250 "dual sport" in Oregon?

Thanks,

-Oncorhynchus
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime1/19/2017, 11:08 am

Welcome HI

Not sure about Oregon but here in Washington I believe It's

License plate
turn signals
Headlight
Horn
Mirrors

Basically you end up taking it to a place that does these things and then gets you licensed for a fee.
Hopefully someone from OR will set us straight.
Back to top Go down
dannych

dannych

Bike : 1983 Honda XL 600

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime2/4/2017, 1:40 pm

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/6367.pdf
It has motorcycle specifications about page 9.
It also mentioned dirt bike mods.
Back to top Go down
Oncorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime2/4/2017, 8:21 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
camdon44

Bike : 09 KTM 400 XC-W, 02 Suzuki DRZ400E,2010 KTM 400XC-W,2012 BMW K1600 GTL,1981 Honda GL500 Silverwing with Velorex sidecar, 1973 Yamaha RT3 360 Enduro restored.

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime2/8/2017, 6:33 am

Turn signals lights are not required in Washington.  Hand signals are ok.... Hello
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime2/8/2017, 2:54 pm

camdon44 wrote:
Turn signals lights are not required in Washington.  Hand signals are ok.... Hello

"Turn signals are only required if they were originally included"

I did not know that!  Thanks cheers
Back to top Go down
Oncorhynchus

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime2/24/2017, 9:40 pm

Your comments here have been helpful.  I ended up buying a 2002  TTR250, but one that was ALREADY PLATED.  I have not figured out what it takes to get a dirtbike like the TTR250  through the Oregon DMV inspections.

Though my bike was classed as a "MC" (motorcycle; ie. street legal) on the title and came with an expired plate, the bike did not have turn signals, etc.  It's a stock TTR but with this open door to making it street legal.  So I go to the DMV to transfer the title and the clerk asked me if I want to renew the registration for the plate, which I had in my hand.  I declined registration because it cost around $110 and I don't even have a motorcycle endorsement on my license and really don't want to ride on the roads until I get oriented (as stated in the original post, I'm a total newbie).  However, I'm inclined to get the street-legal mods eventually if only for resale value or to connect myself from one patch of dirt to another.

I could spend a lot on a kit, but I really don't need much more.  For example, the stock rear light could be converted to a street-legal brake light if it just flashes when I use the brake:  https://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/816.100.  Finally, my question:  What kind of fuse would I need to install so that my stock rear light flashes when I hit the brake?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime3/18/2017, 10:15 pm

What is "barely legal"?
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime3/20/2017, 2:43 pm

PeteN95 wrote:
What is "barely legal"?
When her birthday is that day?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is legal dual sport   What is legal dual sport Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is legal dual sport
Page 1 of 1