PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Finally, something more then gravel roads

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Finally, something more then gravel roads Empty
PostSubject: Finally, something more then gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime9/27/2009, 7:53 pm

Well, had a crappy night, shit going on (still is) so decided to get out this morning. Really wanted to finish up exit 38 before the snow sets in. So most of this you've already seen......but not all!

I did good on the freeway, but once I started to hit the gravel, wasn't sure if I was in the right frame of mind to ride. When I rode sportbikes, i have turned around and gone home because of this. Decided to press on for awhile anyway. Didn't take long to forget my troubles behind. Actually that's not true. They where still there, but fading to background noise.
Starts off with the usual I-90 picture.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image000-9

What I don't understand is...I know the easiest line is to the left (when riding) but for some reason I always go to the right. Just saved it and stopped before running into a tree coming down.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image002-10

Thought I would add another one with a little diagram. Just to change it up.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Changedphoto

Here's a nice little camp spot. I have seen people here. I'm not really into motorcycle camping, but have been looking along the way for motorcycleman. You could hike up this way.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image004-10

Nice little tunnel of trees. Little did I know it gets worse.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image005-9

Fun times
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image006-7

Remember that little tree that stopped me before? Stopped to take a picture of it this time. Thanks to whomever cut it.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image007-7

OMG the trees are starting to encroach on me.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image008-7

Hmmm. I'm up in the mountains now. There is a road in them there hills.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image009-4

Just a pretty little picture of the valley. Ghey I know, but that's all I have to look at.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image010-5

Now, last time with JW and Chris, we missed this little road. I didn't think it went anywhere, but since I had time, decided to follow it up.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image011-4

Went a lot further then I thought it would. A couple of pics along the way.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image012-5

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image013-3

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image014-4

Looks at me, I made it to the top of this ridge. YeAH. This was the end of the line.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image015-3

Neat little....fire truck?
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image016-4

I decided to climb around on it and play with stuff.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image017-4

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image018-5

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image019-3

MotorcycleMan, this would make another nice camp spot. Already has the fire pit.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image020-2

OK, there is Part I with the first side trip off of the real Creek trail. Now back to the main part in Part II
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Finally, something more then gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime9/28/2009, 6:41 am

I couldn't fit this in the last post, but I tried to get a picture of what I had to come up, and am going down. Picture doesn't do it justice thou. Very loose and rocky. With the cliff on the side....well you get it. Sadly (or funnly?) this was easy compared to some other spots.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image021-1

Alright, back on the main trail. You come to a wash out that someone has forged a path around. Another thanks to whomever. This is where we turned around last time due to time restraints.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image022-2

Crapper John, it's starting to get very rocky. Slowing me down immensely.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image023-1

Now we got rocks throwing me around and branches thwapping me in the face. It's one of those things where going faster would have helped with the rockyness, but the branches kept hitting the handguards and whipping me to the side. I pretty much tried to just stay on the throttle and worked the clutch. Seemed to help in keeping me moving with less stop and go.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image024-1

Another little washout that I didn't fair so well with. That's ok, just keep going.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image025-2

In my defense, I'm starting to get worn out with all the rocks and shit. Making me go slow. Too slow actually, cause it's making it harder then it should be. Didn't drop it, but this little lip stopped me. Would have been fun to hit it faster.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image026-2

Cool stump and pathway. Thought it made a nice picture. Maybe front page stuff? Nah...stupid camera phone.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image027-2

Kept going. Was able to pick up speed when the road turned nice when I came to a Y. I actually started down the right hand side and stopped. Being a "female dog" I decided to turn around and take the easier road, this one was beat up a little. Little did I know the other one turned out worse. But anyway I get ahead of myself. The right road is (i think) one of the few left to explore at another date.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image028-2

Better stop here so I don't run past my allotment of only 20pics per post.
Part III starts in a few min.

*i'm going to quick post this without preview. If the pictures are messed up, I'll fix them later.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Finally, something more then gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime9/28/2009, 6:47 am

Hmmm. Now that I come to this next pic. I remember. Did OK on the last washout, but this is the one that stopped me. Didn't drop the bike, but did have to get off at one point and swing the rear end over so it didn't drop down into the washout itself. Don't tell anyone, but when I got off the bike to move it, I actually walked her through the obsticale.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image029-2

Kept going like usual. Have lots of these pics. You can see the road I came up maybe.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image030-2

Look at all those roads on the mountain side. I been on some of them. If I had a cool GPS like Router, would have been able to figure out which.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image031-2

I think this is where I am going, way up there.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image032-2

Yep, that's where I made it. Another road conquered!!! More roads on the hillside, that I can't get to.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image033-2

A bunch of pics looking off the plateau.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image034-2

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image035-2

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image036-2

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image037-2

I took this picture as I was peeing of a stump. hehe. (then I looked down and noticed i had peed on my boot, dooh!)
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image038-2

Had to stop and take a picture of the way down. I think this picture does it justice. Steep enough where it took a bit to stop, rocky, loose, and a cliff off to the side. I know, doesn't look like much, but when you are alone, no cell coverage...once again, you get the picture.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image039-2

Forgot to mention. On the way up noticed another side road. Took that one to the end also. This is what I found. Really sucks that this road doesn't go through. I've been on the other side of the water shed with another friend. Also right on the other side of the barrier, there are a couple of different roads that run off to who knows where.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image040-2

A big old lake down there. Don't think there is anyway to it. Part of the water shed and all.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image041-2

Picture of Mount Baker maybe???
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image042-2

One of the roads after the barrier. Man I wish I could get the moto up there!
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image043-2

Another picture of the barrier from the opposite side.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image044-4

Cool, time to ride back down and homeward bound. This is the stuff that is hitting me in the face also.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image045-2

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image046-3

Yeah, able to move a little faster now. Having some fun and cooling off just a little. Still have to duck and cover and brake for stuff, but fun.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image047-3

Next........uhoh time!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Finally, something more then gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime9/28/2009, 6:58 am

Finally, something more then gravel roads Image048-3

Normally I would narrate then post pic. I thought that one was good enough to post first.
Those rocks and branches and ruts are a killer. Bwahahah. As I was backing up to get the picture I fell twice on the rocks. Man it was bad.

Here is most of the damage. Really the only damage.
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image049-2

Luckily the handgaurds were 1/2inch. My 13mm fit. Next time I need to add a few tools to my pack thou. Like an allen set. Even after moving the hangaurds the clutch lever still hit. Had to rotate it up enough to clear. Made it a pain riding back down that way. Wasn't too bad.

My ugly mug dripping. What a workout. Thank the lord I now have that hydration pack (really thank Donny for that one).
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image050-3

Still working my way down the mountain?
Finally, something more then gravel roads Image051-3

Well, that's it for pictures. Made it to the creek bed. A truck that was there in the begining was still there. Would have stopped and made sure everything was alright, but nobody was around. Next made it to the first obstacle. How many time have I been over that and this time I manage to stall out? Didn't drop it though.

This ride report brought to you by Yamaha WR250R. Crash tested and Mother approved.

Thank you to Grant for being on call. After calling my wife and telling her where I was....called you and left a message. Knowing the wife wouldn't have a clue.
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Finally, something more then gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime9/28/2009, 9:02 am

Great report, thanks for posting up.............Finally, something more then gravel roads Coolphotos
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: finally, something more than gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime9/28/2009, 9:55 pm

i know what ya mean about the pictures not doin the terrain justice. excelent pics an report.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Finally, something more then gravel roads   Finally, something more then gravel roads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Finally, something more then gravel roads
Page 1 of 1