PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tell me about the Desert 100

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Gobius

Bike : KLX250S

Tell me about the Desert 100 Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 8:01 pm

OK guys, I know some of you must have done this before. I want to go check out this event this year. I was talking to a friend about doing one of the poker runs, and he said "Why not just do the race?" I'm hesitating because I don't ride a hard core enduro bike (KLX250S) and I don't have that much experience in the dirt (~2 years, mostly on the wet side). He would probably be riding a CRF230L.

So my question is, how challenging is the race course compared to the poker run courses (family and Ironman)? Or is this one of those deals where if you have to ask, you better stay away?

Any wisdow would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/9/2010, 8:14 pm

this will be my first year going, i have read alot on the desert 100. the ironman poker run is on the same course as the race and aprox 80 miles. the family poker run is alot shorter and is easy for all ages. i and a couple other people are going to do the ironman . it should be alot of fun. they are also haveing a 1st annual bike week there at oddessa wich is strictly just dirt type stuff. should also be fun. ther is alot of video on you tube and go to the stumpjumpers web site for info, pics, and video.
Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

Bike : 2011 ktm 450 exc

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 7:50 am

I'm thinking about doing it also. If you want a taste of what it may be like, you should race in the ewdra hare scramble at horn rapids (richland Wa) you can do 20, 40, or 60 miles to see how you feel before going 100 miles.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 9:47 am

I did it last year. As a matter of fact, it is what got me back in to dirt biking after a 6 year hiatus. I did the Poker Run on Saturday with some friends and had a blast. The family course is a little shorter, and there are bypasses for the harder sections if you choose. The full course consists of 2 laps of about 40-50 miles. I think they were 46 miles last year. Really laid back atmosphere, with people being really cool at the areas that build up with people, like creek crossings, and small hill climbs. The deepest water we encountered was only about 6-8 inches, and only one hill climb that was short, but very technical, but there was lots of help there to make sure everyone made it. Halfway through a lap, there is break station set up that has water and sports drink, and hot German style sausages for everyone. Tons of people just hanging out and BS'ing about the day. At the end of the first lap, pull into your camping/pit area and refuel for another round, or take the gear off and hang out. The course is very do-able for most skill levels. I saw ALOT of very young kids riding PW50's and KTM 65's on the entire course and have almost no issues. There was definitely some noobs out there that earned their dirt wings, so to speak.

The Race on Sunday is set on the same course, and it is a mad house at the start. Several hundred guys line up side by side, and they drop the flag, and everyone takes off, land rush style. The cacophony is quite impressive with all those bike ripping by. As stated earlier, it is the same course, so it is ride-able, but you are now dealing with guys that are riding competitively, and may not give you as much room as you need in the more technical sections. There are some blazingly fast guys out there during the race, it is fun to watch.

As far as the Dual Sport ride, I have never done it so can't really comment, but when I head out there, I am there for a dirt ride, not a road/dirt ride. If you want to take in some of the local flavor, then the Dual Sport ride is probably right for you, as it heads into town and visits a winery I believe, and some other local businesses.

I am not a real experienced off-road rider, and am certainly not fast by any means. But I went out there last year on a Chinese made air-cooled 250cc machine that I borrowed from a friend, and had a blast. I got so fired up, I went out and bought my WR a few weeks later.

So the question isn't, should you do the Desert 100, but rather, what time will you arrive? We try to get there early on Friday, as space seems to fill up rather quickly. Getting there early helps assure a spot right on the edge of the track so you can see the start of the race.

My advise is, if you think you may want to do this ride, then you need to show up. You will not be disappointed!
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 10:09 am

hey "w", keep in touch, dez nuts and i are riding down. plan on throwing camping gear and such in brother-in-laws travil trailer. should be fun, i think he said it was aprox 114 miles, mostly dirt road ! or we could just hook up there.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 10:24 am

Oh yeah, sounds good. I will be trailering in with several friends and the motor home. I was thinking of camping, but it gets pretty cold there at night, and I am a wuss! Tell me about the Desert 100 84165 It would be cool for everyone to meet up there.

BTW, Google Maps says 94 miles. Real easy to get there. Just get on the HWY 28, and turn left at the sign that says Desert 100 Tell me about the Desert 100 5543. I live at the north end of Sunset Hwy, so for me its left out of my driveway, left at the track entrance. Did it in my sleep last year, lol.

Link to map:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&saddr=seattle+wa&daddr=odessa+wa

*I could not add the actual map to post. Put link in the link tab, but only a box would show up saying 'loading', but no map. Any ideas what I missed?

Last edited by TheFlying"W" on 2/10/2010, 10:51 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added witty humor, and map link.)
Back to top Go down
Gobius

Bike : KLX250S

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 12:09 pm

Thanks, "W", that's exactly the kind of intel I was looking for! Ironman poker run it is. I'll be driving over sometime on Friday, and probably just camp in my van.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 3:40 pm

hey "w", i think we are neibors. i live just north of the stop light ! Tell me about the Desert 100 675814
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

Bike : '81 XT500H, 2005 XR650L, 83 Big Red

PostSubject: Start of 2009 Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime5/28/2010, 1:12 pm

Took this from the sidelines.....the dual sport poker was awsome and plenty of riding for me in a day. If I remember correctly it was close to 110 miles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the Desert 100   Tell me about the Desert 100 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tell me about the Desert 100
Page 1 of 1