PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Anyone else into RC aircraft?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 4:20 am

Been wanting to get the RC stuff out again. Anyone else on the forum fly RC aircraft?

I fly (crash) heli's and mainly foamies. I enjoy the Electric foamies the best.

Here's a couple that I've made over the last couple years.

Flying wing...aka "Sledgehammer". 115 MPH in level flight. Made from a EPP foam core, with a custom "glass" shell. Very durable. Used a HET 4 turn motor, 45amp ESC, ect ect.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Dad5

Anyone else into RC aircraft? IMG_0805

Here's my build Sledge Build vid with its maiden flight at the end.

We've also built a couple out of Foam Tossers that you buy at the local grocery store. I bought these kits at Winco for $4.49 each so I named it the "Winco Flyer". They are real easy to convert to RC use and fly amazingly well. On this one I used cheap chinese equipment off ebay (Still going strong!).

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img5347sf8

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img5348sj1

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img5349ny0

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img0416mo4

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img0413ob6

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img5336pq5

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img5337vh7

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img5343yz1

Anyone else into RC aircraft? IMG_5349

After having success with our first grocery store "Winco Flyer" my father and I started a Twin Engine version. We took three of the $4.49 kits and started cutting and gluing. Everything in this version is internal, we used a router to sink the carbon reinforcements flush into the body and wings, All wiring is routed into the foam, Ply motor mounts, Pop bottle tops for the engine cowls. It has two Park 450 motors on it...it will climb strait vertical! Flies great!

Anyone else into RC aircraft? IMG_5773

Anyone else into RC aircraft? IMG_5757

Anyone else into RC aircraft? IMG_5762

Anyone else into RC aircraft? IMG_5760

Out for the first test flight...not painted yet and the canopy hasn't been made yet.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img1314ho3

All painted up and ready to go. The canopy is carved foam held on by two rare earth magnets, just pop it off for quick battery access.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img1684us6

Anyone else into RC aircraft? Img1692ha8

Short crappy vid from the test flight day of the twin.

Hodakagauy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 7/12/2010, 5:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Very cool   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 6:06 am

Very cool hobbies! Love the twin prop aircraft Anyone else into RC aircraft? 541814 My son and I occasionally stop by the local club to watch the R/C club when the jets are in town. They have their own little miniature airport setup.

Pretty amazing the level of technology and detail you guys put into your projects.

Have a good one,

griz
Back to top Go down
ol guy

ol guy

Bike : 06- KLX 351

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 2:30 pm

I have a nitro trainer I haven't flown in a couple of years and a Helli still in the box. Thought I'd get a flight simulator before I tried it.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 3:19 pm

ol guy wrote:
I have a nitro trainer I haven't flown in a couple of years and a Helli still in the box. Thought I'd get a flight simulator before I tried it.

Good idea Anyone else into RC aircraft? 5543 A simulator is essential for learning to fly a heli. I've got quite a bit of Heli time and without a simulator I would have given up a long time ago. Setup is also critical on a heli, before the first flight have someone go over it that is familiar with heli setup, makes a huge difference in the way they fly.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hemmi101

Bike : Kawasaki KLR 650, Yamaha xt225, triumph bonneville

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 9:31 pm

I've got a bunch of planes which I've flown on and off over the last 15 years. I flew .15- 60 sized nitro planes in the 90's, Plus some rubber power and indoor, but in the 2000's went electric with lipoly batts. That's the way to go. No cleanup, no mess! I have a bunch of sport planes with 20-40 inch wingspans plus a couple of foamies.

Hodakaguy, Your foam glider conversion is lots fancier than mine. I was figuring out a super easy quick conversion as a trainer using an engine pod and rudder/ elevator only. Had some success but nothing like yours. I've also converted some old Comet models to tiny electric rc power. I have said to heck with white knuckle fast flying and these are pretty relaxing. As for helicopters, forget it though I have a yet to be flown autogyro.

It seems to me that the big RC airplane sale and show is this weekend at Monroe--better get your wallet and head over there! (Come to think of it better get two wallets.) -Hemmi
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 5:46 pm

Had this Wild Wing kit ($19.99) in the garage for the past two years.....got to looking around and I have enough spare parts to put this thing together so I figured I would get going on it. I changed a few things on the kit to hopefully make it fly better. I removed about 3" worth of EPP foam from the rear of the wing to move the motor forward and help CG balance out correctly. I also routed a groove and added another carbon fiber spar to increase the stiffness of the wing. I covered it in iron-on Ultra Coat. For the motor mount I used a piece of hard wood and two carbon rod pieces, routed out the openings for the wood and the rods and epoxied them into place (thrust angle even with the bottom of the wing). Not to far from finishing things up now, the battery I wanted to use won't fit (3S 2100MAH Lipo) so I may router out a little more clearance and try a 1300MAH batt. I think I may still have to add lead in the nose to get the CG right if I can't use the 2100 Batt. I'm going to try a BP21 Brushless motor ($9.99) and a 7x6E prop, should get me around 50-60mph.

Here's a few pics so far.

The start of the build. Using Epoxy to attach the trailing edge carbon rods.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010740

Here you can see the area of foam I removed to move the motor closer towards the nose of the wing. You can also see the extra carbon spar I added to the wing.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010742

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010743

This is the setup that I use for routing out foam. Works great for installing spars, opening up battery bays, etc. Roto-Zip with a small router bit. Just set the depth on the guide and trim away, leaves a nice clean edge.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010830

HS55 Servos installed using low temp Hot Glue.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010745

I decided to use a made in China BP21 Brushless Motor on this build, they are cheap ($9.99) and they hold up great! The plastic motor mount that comes with the kit is junk, plus it won't work with the BP21. I decided to fabricate a mount from scratch. A piece of hard wood and a couple carbon rod pieces later and instant motor mount.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010748

Here's the mounting area all routed out with the Roto-Zip.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010749

And the mount resting in place before using epoxy to lock it in place.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010752

You don't have to add covering to the wind but it does make the wing stiffer and stronger. I lightly sanded the wing and used Ultracoat for the covering. I decided not to "glass" this wing like I did the SledgeHammer to save weight.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010804

Underside in Silver. I'll add some orange to the underside as well before I'm finished.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010807

Engine mount stick. Still a little long in this pic, I cut it down some before bolting up the motor.

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010809

Getting close to being finished. Still have a little wiring up to do then head down to the park for the maiden flight. Hope it goes well, should be a fun little wing!

Anyone else into RC aircraft? P1010826

I'll update with a video after I get it into the air.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 6:48 pm

Last RC I bought, I lost my A$$. Anyone else into RC aircraft? 423485
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime7/12/2010, 6:55 pm

YamWOW! wrote:
Last RC I bought, I lost my A$$. Anyone else into RC aircraft? 423485

You should have stuck with it...you never even crashed it Anyone else into RC aircraft? 84165

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone else into RC aircraft?   Anyone else into RC aircraft? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone else into RC aircraft?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: Off Topic-
Jump to: