PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Planning with a gps

Go down 
+5
RufusRide
Shane
Hodakaguy
Inspector
griz901
9 posters

What is your primary use for GPS?
Put in various waypoints and ride towards them
Planning with a gps Vote_lcap14%Planning with a gps Vote_rcap
 14% [ 3 ]
Deviate from a planned route and I'll die
Planning with a gps Vote_lcap5%Planning with a gps Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Use it but don't freak if I get off track
Planning with a gps Vote_lcap41%Planning with a gps Vote_rcap
 41% [ 9 ]
It looks bitchen on my bike, but whats it do?
 14% [ 3 ]
GPS is for panzies, I use a compass and a map
 14% [ 3 ]
I'm too cheap for a kit, its my speedometer
 14% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 22

AuthorMessage
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Planning with a gps Empty
PostSubject: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 6:42 pm

So here's the deal... Planning with a gps 5543

I've always used my GPS as a backup to a paper map in areas I am familiar with and many I am not. That's to say I have used waypoints I store inside the GPS to point me in the right direction when I get lost (like walking out of the boonies in pitch black last hunting season). But I never leave the main roads without a compass and a paper map.

So do any of you guys really rely on your GPS when you're in the boonies or flying down a back country forest road? I mean really "route" something in the GPS, or do you put waypoints in it and just point yourself in the right direction?

I don't have a roll chart and I have not attended an iron butt rally so not too sure how you would pass a route to guests.... Catch my drift? Planning with a gps Icon_rolleyes

I'm asking because I want to start refining my summer ride files to share them but I don't want to publish them if they're completely useless. This whole GPS thing is kinda like a "what tire is best" or "what oil is best" or "what dual sport do I buy" kind of thing to me.

I just started using mapsource, and although I love the topo base map, setting up a route is way harder than printing out a google map or the like.... I'm pretty good at manipulating files and the like, so conversions are no problem (bablefish or whatnot).

What is your primary use for GPS?
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 6:44 pm

Planning with a gps 624421 I just realized we need a few more members before these polls will drop out of 100% range, LOL Planning with a gps 624421
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 7:27 pm

I wasn't going to post in here, because my GPS is a car one that I sometimes ziptie to the bike. Then I noticed that you had an option in the poll just for me. Speedometer!!!! yeah.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 7:37 pm

Inspector wrote:
I wasn't going to post in here, because my GPS is a car one that I sometimes ziptie to the bike. Then I noticed that you had an option in the poll just for me. Speedometer!!!! yeah.

OMG Planning with a gps 624421 how do you think I mount put mine on the bike! zip ties baby!!! And that's after I got the roadmate 2200T refurb model, paid another $79 bucks to upgrade it's guts into a crossover magellan. It paid for itself first time I got lost in the woods at night with no visible reference points.

You can't hear those little buggers talking to you when you've got ear plugs in and are flying down a dirt road!!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 8:12 pm

I rely heavily on my GPS unit when on long ADV trips...the maps are my backup that rarely come out of my pack. They are handy around camp though.

I plan the ride in advance on mapsource as much as possible, I really try and collect a bunch of peoples actual tracks ahead of time, then cut/piece/modify them together to cover the route I want to take. That way I have actual tracks that I know will make it through where I'm headed. I add additional waypoints ect as needed from there. On the route I follow the pre-layed tracks and do free lance riding at the same time, if I want I can always fall back on the tracks.

I'd be lost without mine.....I've just got to used to it Planning with a gps 5543

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 8:39 pm

just got mine mounted, have not had the chance to use it off road. cant wait. mine is a older garmin that i used when i had my boat, its a legend C . i have map sorce but i am kinda lost exept for exporting maps to it !
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: You are not alone LOL   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 12:19 pm

Inspector wrote:

Whatever works, right?

Planning with a gps Gps_mo10

Ran out of money before I could finish bars, risers, damper, cables and controls. Surprisingly, I'm afraid to hard mount the GPS now because I've had no problems with it for about 800 miles of use. Being leveraged on the end of the mount and strapped to the foam crossbar probably absorbs a lot of the vibrations/harmonics coming up through the bars that would normally kill a unit.

griz
Back to top Go down
RufusRide

RufusRide

Bike : 97 XR650L (NOW A 670)

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 7:48 pm

I'm planning a 4 day ride this year using mapsource then emailing route to buddy on the wet side of the mountains. We will use the GPS as a help guide only- (if the trail calls I will follow). I will be tracking my rides this year so if any one wants one of them routed in mapsource I will be glad to do so. They will all start and stop in or aound Wenatchee.
Back to top Go down
DCHFIRE

DCHFIRE

Bike : KLX 300

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 9:46 am

I always take my GPS 60CSX I do a lot of exploring for new routes and download to my comp. Also watch my fuel millage never go past half way if I do not know my way out, so I can always back track. I would never go a lot of places I have been without it. It saves me a lot in the heavy forest. DCHFIRE
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 7:37 pm

DCHFIRE wrote:
I always take my GPS 60CSX I do a lot of exploring for new routes and download to my comp. Also watch my fuel millage never go past half way if I do not know my way out, so I can always back track. I would never go a lot of places I have been without it. It saves me a lot in the heavy forest. DCHFIRE

thumb Kewl, thanks for stopping by!
Back to top Go down
HydroDog

Bike : 1999 KTM 640e

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 7:49 pm

I just mounted up a new Trail Tech Voyager. Pretty impressive unit. It does not show roads like a car one but it tells you more about what your bike is doing though.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 7:58 pm

HydroDog wrote:
I just mounted up a new Trail Tech Voyager. Pretty impressive unit. It does not show roads like a car one but it tells you more about what your bike is doing though.

Saw that in a mag. Looks very cool.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 8:10 pm

Inspector wrote:

Still works too... deal
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 9:16 pm

you forgot an option for the pole: mechanically declined cuz uses his to get us completely lost :Slaphead: Evil6
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 9:23 pm

Woo Hoo!

cheers

Almost a full year later, up to eleven votes! spam
Back to top Go down
HydroDog

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/4/2011, 9:53 pm

Inspector wrote:
HydroDog wrote:

Saw that in a mag. Looks very cool.
The thing works great for me. You can ride down the road and operate the buttons with your gloves on and toggle through the different screens, fairly simple. I think if I was on an long roadtrip/trail ride I would put my car garmin in my Giant Loop tank bag for the road sections.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 7:17 pm

[quote="HydroDog"][quote="Inspector"]
HydroDog wrote:

can you export maps to it ? the pics on line looks like it has grey scale maps .
Back to top Go down
HydroDog

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/5/2011, 9:33 pm

[quote="Shane"][quote="HydroDog"]
Inspector wrote:
HydroDog wrote:

can you export maps to it ? the pics on line looks like it has grey scale maps .
Thats what they say. It has a micro-SD that you can download your maps to and install into the GPS or export. I have not figured it out yet ( and have not tried yet) but its not the fault of the GPS. I'm not quite the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to doing computer stuff. I'm not sure what you mean by grey scale but if you are refering to the cooler of the screen, yes it is only gray with black lines.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime1/6/2011, 2:48 pm

yea, the color of the map. i was looking at that and really like it. i wounder if a colored version is comeing. you probably will have to buy a map source program and either buy or piriat maps to export to it. unless it came with something.
Back to top Go down
RENO

RENO

Bike : 07 KLR 650 2012 Cristini AWD 450DS

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime5/3/2011, 9:58 am

planning on getting the garmin 60sc. cabellas has them for around 200. anyplace on-line want 225 or more. i have discovered acme mapper2.0 as well. they have everything from sat to topo and more. i havent figured out all features yet but its fun to play with. i believe you can load routs created into garmin but i am still trying to figure that one out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Planning with a gps   Planning with a gps Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Planning with a gps
Page 1 of 1