PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

back up the similakameen

Go down 
+3
TheFlying"W"
Inspector
big jer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

back up the similakameen Empty
PostSubject: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 5:00 pm

we still got lots of snow where i do most of my riding, so i got to pretty much stay in the valley, this is where im headind it's an old mine at the top of the hill. you can see the tailings pile back up the similakameen Dscn0116
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 5:06 pm

this is how i have to go to get there, straight up the draw. it has a road but it is really rocky an washed o ut an rockyback up the similakameen 5543 back up the similakameen Dscn0117
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 5:16 pm

I made it!! thought i was goin down once, it was a close one, but thanks to my lighting quick reflexes an nerves of steel , an maybe just a little bit of luck i saved it. was enjoying the scenery an not lookin at the goat trail i was on an maybe goin a bit to fast when i hit and ran over a rock the size of a water melon. lucky for me the front rim on the brp is one tough sob. not even a scratch. back up the similakameen Dscn0118
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 5:20 pm

was feeling pretty lucky so i decided to try to make it to the top of the hill, it was worth the effort, nicback up the similakameen Dscn0119e view
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 6:11 pm

yes...that last picture is a winner.

Very nice.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 6:45 pm

If that last one doesn't make it to the top of the home page, I will be very surprised. Very good job back up the similakameen 5543.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 7:24 pm

TheFlying"W" wrote:
If that last one doesn't make it to the top of the home page, I will be very surprised. Very good job back up the similakameen 5543.

/\ +1 . that is a good pic. looks like a fun time !
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 7:58 pm

Ditto back up the similakameen 541814
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime2/28/2010, 8:29 pm

That is a great pic. Home page photo here we come back up the similakameen 5543

So did you check out the mine? How far back in can you get? What was mined there? Any equipment laying around to look at?

Can you tell I like old mines? back up the similakameen 84165

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 7:35 am

back up the similakameen 541814 you made it to the top back up the similakameen 541814
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 7:36 pm

Hodakaguy wrote:
That is a great pic. Home page photo here we come back up the similakameen 5543

So did you check out the mine? How far back in can you get? What was mined there? Any equipment laying around to look at?

Can you tell I like old mines? back up the similakameen 84165

Hodakaguy
ya i looked inside, it goes in there ferther than i can see. i'm pretty sure that it was a gold mine, the similakameen river right below this area has panners an dredges in it all the time. been told theres alot of gold in the river. theres old mines all over up here. matter of fact we have the only working gold mine in the state on buckhorn mtn. an the old caba-texas mine is just up the road from here, it was a super fund clean up sight a few years ago. not much for any equipment layin around. alot of the old mines around you can't get to anymore because of area closures.[i still sneak in to most of them] theres one at hearts pass over by winthrop that has an old fairbanks-morse inline 12 engine that was hauled in by horse an buggy a piece at a time then reassembled at the mine, i think it's called the azerite mine, but can't remember for sure. never been there in the summer, only in winter, as the bridge is washed out an have to wait until there is a ice bridge. i have heard they were gonna fix the bridge, i'll have to investigate that.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 7:58 pm

I would love to do a ride/overnight trip checking out mines. Something about old abandoned mines just fascinate me. I have several books in the series called Abandoned Mines in WA State.

Thanks for the pics!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 8:26 pm

well theres all kinds of mines up here, hence the name oroville, pronounced orrville. just some of the ones i know in the area, don't know if your books have um . the grey eagle, upper gold ax, lower gold ax, magnetic, pole n china, tungsten[in the pasayten wilderness], an theres a bunch more i can't remember. theres on old mine sight between here an curlew, it supposedly has an old abandoned town sight, but i have never been able to find it. was told once it was pretty well destroyed the last time the area was loggged. can't help to think something would be left though. the only problem is it's up a place called cougar creek an there are some really wierd people up there,[ ever seen the movie delivernce? ] you get the idea. never had any trouble, but ya never know. i'm pretty sure you can still dig for fossils in the town of repulic too. ya we'll have to do a mine ride. do ya have a pass port to get to canada? if so we could go to Headly BC. about 45 minutes north. it is an old mining town that i think you can take a cable car ride to as it about half way up the side of the mountain. there's some pretty steep country around here, some roads are not for the faint of heart!
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/1/2010, 9:24 pm

Hodakaguy wrote:
I would love to do a ride/overnight trip checking out mines. Something about old abandoned mines just fascinate me. I have several books in the series called Abandoned Mines in WA State.

Thanks for the pics!

Hodakaguy

You don't by chance have the book with the location of The Golden Tunnel mine or the Hole in The Wall?
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/2/2010, 1:39 pm

What area are they located in?

Hodakaguy

XCR500Rider wrote:
Hodakaguy wrote:

Thanks for the pics!

Hodakaguy

You don't by chance have the book with the location of The Golden Tunnel mine or the Hole in The Wall?
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/2/2010, 3:21 pm

They are suposed to be up near Baring. Big mystery and suposed to be equipment and relics all over the place. But apparently they are some huge secret.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/2/2010, 3:42 pm

Hahaha! That's funny...funny, ironic. Was just talking to a fella that I'm waiting for the snow to melt then I'll be going out to Baring.

Looking at the maps, you would have to hike up to the mine.
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/2/2010, 3:44 pm

Ya, from what I've been able to find, via my research and Google Earth, it's anywhere from 3 to 5,000 foot elevation changes! Probably not something anyone is going to ride to thats for sure. back up the similakameen 966251
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime3/2/2010, 3:53 pm

Probably going from 2500' up to 4200' elevation in just under 1/2 mile? As soon as the snow melts I'll see how close the roads get. Should be able to get a few long/lat. readings at least.

*sorry big jer. no more thead jacking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: back up the similakameen   back up the similakameen Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

back up the similakameen
Page 1 of 1