PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Maps-Paper and Software

Go down 
+5
griz901
Shane
dhally
Inspector
Relaytech
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Relaytech

Relaytech

Maps-Paper and Software Empty
PostSubject: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 5:50 pm

OK, this might not have been the best category for this question, but close enough.:-) I am looking for maps, paper or software, that have an emphases on dirt/gravel roads. I have not had any luck in finding any thing very useful yet. I have an Oregon and a Washington Road & Recreation Atlas, but they do not show enough detail. I also have the Garmin Topo US 24k West, but it would be a great if one could set it to high-light all dirt/gravel roads in red or something. So I am wondering if any one has found good "dirt-road" maps, or if you have found a good software to do something like that. I was wondering about the National Geographic stuff. Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 8:10 pm

Nope, haven't found anything good

lurk
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 8:25 pm

Benchmark atlas show many roads, and is pretty accurate about road surface. But it doesn't show which ones have gates...
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/6/2010, 8:25 pm

Maps-Paper and Software 99711
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/7/2010, 12:44 pm

It has been my experience USGS topographic maps are the most accurate in depicting road surface characteristics. If you spend enough time researching the internet you can download them for free, print sections of them or mark up your other map resources to reflect road surfaces in the areas you expect to be in. If you have a favorite riding area, you can also collect vintage topo maps that will show roads, mines, etc. that have been deleted from newer maps.

Secondly, and used in combination with topos, the Delorme Gazetteers for your specific state. I have not experimented with their electronic base maps (actually, today was the first time I have seen the web page in a long time. Didn't know they have a link for base maps).

Electronically, there are a lot of GPS savvy programmers using public GIS information to make base maps with better detail information. Your favorite internet search engine is your best friend. Topo overlays as a base map would show dirt v. asphalt etc. but you probably lose automatic routing. A GPS unit with aerial photo overlay is a good example.

Anyway - thanks for the break from my reading for what it's worth... Maps-Paper and Software 241248

Last edited by griz901 on 4/7/2010, 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : accidental clicking)
Back to top Go down
RufusRide

RufusRide

Bike : 97 XR650L (NOW A 670)

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/7/2010, 8:05 pm

The Forest Service have the ranger district maps at 1" = 1 mile, with some overlap of areas outside of there boundarys. The ones I've got show gates and trails, but they are old maps. I don't know if the new ones still show the same. I hear the maps go for 5$ a piece. By the way this is all in the Wenatchee National Forest so I don't know if I did you any good.

Ralph
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime4/8/2010, 8:18 pm

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm having a little luck using my Benchmark Oregon Road & Recreation Map in combination with my Garmin Topo US software. The Benchmark Maps show main dirt/gravel roads, but no detail on the lesser roads. The Topo software helps out on those, by my assuming that the lesser roads must be dirt too? It sure would be nice if Garmin would give more info on road surfaces and let you give them different colors like you can on saved tracks and routes! I guess that would make it to easy though!
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime7/5/2010, 8:59 am

so im thinking about going and getting me the garmin 60csx, and was wondering what map background will i need to buy that will be work with washington states forest roads and paved roads?
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime7/6/2010, 12:53 pm

I have the 60CSx and love it. I am currently running TOPO USA 24k on it. That means, it is 24k resolution, which is very good. It shows most roads in the back country that I have been on. You will need MapSource as well to look at, and to plan your routes on, and transfer data between your computer and GPS unit. There is a new release of TOPO 100k, which has even more resolution and more roads available on it, but I haven't found the 24k to be lacking anything so far. And on the smaller screen, with the resolution set that high, things get very muddy. I usually don't turn my resolution on my GPS unit above about medium for most work as it can be hard to read what you are looking for. Here is a link to some info on those TOPO programs;
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/buymaps.do

They have them available for download right on the site if you have a fast enough connection. My suggestion is the 24k for the ares you are planning to ride. I haven't been disappointed yet.
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime7/7/2010, 1:19 pm

USFS, and DNR maps work very well for dirt roads and trails. You can get actual trail maps for off road and motorcycle trails through USFS and DNR also. There's something nice about having an actual paper map.
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime7/7/2010, 7:40 pm

as far as finding a garmin 60 csx on sale for 199.00 is real tough i have not found one... what are the differences between the 60 cs and the 60 csx i noticed that the cs does not have a electronic compass. anything else? i can live with out that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maps-Paper and Software   Maps-Paper and Software Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Maps-Paper and Software
Page 1 of 1