PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Header Wrap

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime4/15/2010, 6:36 pm

Has anybody ever used automotive style header wrap to wrap the header on their bike? I've heard that it helps it run cooler by shuttleing the exhaust out of the pipe instead of hanging out by the case. I'm not quite sure I believe that, but maybe someone has experience? Is there any advantage to doing this, or is it just a waste of time and money?
Back to top Go down
jphrse

jphrse

Bike : BMW R1200GS

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime4/15/2010, 6:57 pm

It does work just like you mentioned. It works great on cars and Harleys with straight or flow through exhaust systems. I don't think I would want to try it on a bike that sees much off road time as I would think it would tear it up quickly.
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime4/15/2010, 7:12 pm

So other than the possibility of getting torn up and hav ing to re wrap it, it does work well? Is there a performance advantage?
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime4/15/2010, 8:26 pm

It works well for moving heat out to the end of the exhaust. But the reason I don't use it on a dirt bike is, we occasionally ride through muddy water, and that, coupled with the dust and dirt, can cause a buildup right against the header, eventually leading to rust. Even on stainless headers. Also, with it moving that much heat to the muffler, it can cause heat warpage in the canister. I actually saw a friends brand new carbon muffler melt because of all the heat that was transferred to the back. So, in my opinion, it is better left for cars. YMMV
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime4/15/2010, 8:36 pm

Well then I think I ought to just leave it well enuff alone. Thank you for the advice.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime4/15/2010, 8:47 pm

TheFlying"W" wrote:
It works well for moving heat out to the end of the exhaust. But the reason I don't use it on a dirt bike is, we occasionally ride through muddy water, and that, coupled with the dust and dirt, can cause a buildup right against the header, eventually leading to rust. Even on stainless headers. Also, with it moving that much heat to the muffler, it can cause heat warpage in the canister. I actually saw a friends brand new carbon muffler melt because of all the heat that was transferred to the back. So, in my opinion, it is better left for cars. YMMV

I have to agree with this. Not because I've used the many wrap products but because I've probably read at least a hundred different opinions on the subject over the past ten years.

The wrap essentially prevents a lot of heat from radiating from the metal exhaust system. This keeps the exhaust gases inside a lot hotter and hotter gases flow a lot faster, therefore increasing the efficiency and performance of a properly jetted hi-performance engine and exhaust combination.

You will find many images of performance motorcycles with wrapped exhausts, but like TFW said, for us do-it-your-selfers a wrapped system will lead to a rusty pipe. Water, minerals at high temperature will do a number on even stainless steel.

I would have to cast a vote of no confidence unless you are top shelf rider looking for every drop of performance. Besides, those Katooms have some of the nicest looking exhaust tubes ever, why cover 'em up?

Header Wrap 241248
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Header Wrap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Header Wrap   Header Wrap Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Header Wrap
Page 1 of 1