PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rate your bike

Go down 
+4
reid
Inconceivable
dhally
T.Low
8 posters
AuthorMessage
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: Rate your bike   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 3:50 pm

With so many guys asking about bikes and what type of dual sport is best etc., maybe it would be helpful if everyone stated what they were looking for when they bought theirs, and also if everyone then rated their bike(s).

My bike: '05 GasGas fse450, 4 stroke fuel injected, 250lbs

Rate your bike OlgaBeachHouse078k

I consider it a light middle weight dual sport, if there is such a category. I wanted a bike to:

1. Excel at single track.
2. Be plated to haul on the back of my campervan as an overland dingy
3. Still be big enough to ride FS roads
4. Spend 1-2% of the time on asphalt
5. Be my one and only (bike that is, as oppossed to a quiver of bikes)

Ratings:

1. Single track rating: 7-7.5
I know I'd do a little better at Walker Valley ORV park with a 220lb bike instead of a 250pounder, but it still does well and I don't seem to lag too far behind.

2. dingy rating: 8
Hauls great, scouts great. Wouldn't want to go two up, but could be done in an emergency.

3. fs road rating: 9-10
It may actually be too much fun on fs roads

4. asphalt rating: 2-3
Currently it's geared for Walker Valley ORV park, so on the highway it winds out like an effed up weed whip. Other's would know better than I what it's highway capabilities are once the gearing and soft compound front tire are changed.

5. One and only bike rating: 9-10. I think it meets my criteria really well.

Overall, I'm excited with the GasGas fse 450.

Who's next?

Last edited by T.Low on 7/27/2010, 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
dhally

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: KTM 640Adv   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/26/2010, 7:09 pm

My desires when looking for this bike:

1. Factory street legal to avoid licensing hassles.
2. Capable of riding from Tricities to the mountains instead of trailering
3. Gravel and 2track capable
4. Minimum 200 mile range
5. Moderate luggage capacity
6. No need for single track because I got an enduro for that
7. Must be kewl

Results
1. OK but I've never had my license checked
2. Not so good on straight paved roads (vibration). You really need a twin to get out of Tricities...
3. VERY capable, and it goes fast too
4. Gas tank is TOO big if anything. I've never run out
5. Probably has more capacity than I need, but it's nice not to worry about something falling off or breaking
6. The bike will do single track OK but I need a wingman to help pick it up :)
7. Is kewl
8. I hadn't considered maintenance and repairs but the KTM seems to need a lot of attention.
Back to top Go down
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: 2000 XR650L   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 4:39 pm

My bike is 10 years old now but not alot has changed with this model so here are some of my insights. I have over 20,000 miles on this bike with no engine work other than removing the emmisions, aftermarket aircleaner, and rejetting for the changes.

When I bought this bike I did so because all my riding areas were going away and I needed to be street legal. I wanted something I could ride to work on nice sunny days and big enough to put the wife on the back and go for a ride on FS roads. For the money at the time the XR was it.

Lets start with the Bad

1. The stock gearing did not work for me at all. 1st gear way to tall for dirt and 5th gear at 70mph engine was turning to high. So I bought a extra set of rims off E-bay and put on street tires. I changed the sprockets for the street to the highest option and the sprockets for the dirt to the lowest. This is really the only option if you are going to ride the street and dirt with this bike. Changing wheels, front sprocket and chain guard (you will have to make a custom chain guard for the dirt due to the new angle of the chain with the smaller front sprocket and large rear sprocket) every time you change riding styles is a little bit of a pain but not bad. I bought a cheap Harbor Freight motorcycle lift and can change the setup in 15 min no problem. (One big time saver has to mark the chain adjusters for each setup). This cost me about $1,000 bucks at the time for the rims, street tires, and sprockets.

The 20,000 plus miles I have put on the bike about 35 percent are street and 65 percent dirt/FS roads.

The street.
With actual street tires and tall gearing this bike is fun on the pavement. I would drive on I-5 from Everett to Smokey point were the speed limit was 70mph (its now been changed to 60mph) and found out that the wind on my chest was wearing me out so I bought a small removable windshield which worked great. Around town the bike is a real ticket magnet as you do not realize how fast you are going. No joke you think you are doing 25 mph and look down and you are doing 35 to 40 mph.

The Dirt.
This bike geared down is a tractor. No joke I have flipped it over more than once pulling a steep hill and got traction and before I could let off the throttle over I went. Grearing the bike down does really help with the weight in the woods. If you have to stop on a hill or a tight corner getting started again is not a problem. With stock gearing it could not be done. This gearing drops the top end to 55 MPH wide open.

Bike Weight.
When I bought this 10 years ago the weight was not a real problem for me. I could man handle the bike around. 10 years later it is a REAL problem as almost all of my riding is off road. Last time I weighed my bike I think it was 360 LBS. I removed the emmisions, back pegs and misc junk but have added 5 gallon tank, skid plate, bark busters, luggage rack and my custom hillbilly box . There have been a couple of times I almost could not get the bike back on the trail (even with three of us). The joke with my riding buddys is if it goes off trail again thats were it stays and I am going to just buy another bike.

Old tech and low HP
For the engine size this bike does not compete with the new bikes. If I remember correctly stock it is about 35 HP. It is aircooled and I have gotten the engine smoking hot many times in traffic and out on the trail. I am using lots of oil and the engine needs a top overhaul. I am sure it is due to overheating.

Ridding double
After one trip with my wife I bought the double seat. The double seat really helps the back seater. I wish I could say that this worked for me but it did not. After half a half dozen trips with the new seat and taking lots of breaks my wife could not handle it. We were riding FS roads and the bouncing and no backrest was too much. I solved the problem by buying her a 1990 NX125 and now we ride together. Way better for both of us.

Handling
The only real complaint I have is in the dirt and loose gravel the front end is heavy. I have had many close calls when the front starts to wash out. I am running Dunlop D606 tires and love them. I have played with air pressure but still can not feel confident in the corners. I must say that it is probably not fair to the bike because I am used to my YZ490 and CR500 before this bike.

The Good
Cheap. You can buy two or three of these bikes used for the cost of a new KTM.

Parts.
Parts are usally in stock or 1 to 2 days away from my local Honda dealer which is close by. (i have broke and wore out alot of parts and rarely have not been able to ride due to waiting for something). Parts are not that expensive compaired to other brands.

Cost Per mile
This has been by far the cheapest cost per mile bike I have ever owned, even counting all the extra stuff I have added.

Final thoughts.

I would recomend this bike to someone 5 to 10 years ago but not today. It truely is a master of nothing. Don't get me wrong I like my bike but can not recomend it to anyone with all the new bikes on the market. Having been there done that I would recomend if you are going to ride on the street buy a street bike. If you are going to ride in the dirt/ FS roads buy the lightest dualsport with the most HP you are comfortable with. Yes I am saying it is better to buy two bikes than one!

Rate your bike Img_2510
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: Great posts, guys!   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 6:51 pm

Rate your bike 5543 Very informative posts, guys, keep'em coming and i like the adddition of the pictures...cause thats what we simple guys like, i guess. I'm going to edit a pic into my OP.

I'm thinking about getting a wheel/tire/sprocket set up for my GasGas...I had a rough guestimate that I was going to be nearly half way to a used DR650, though, and now I know. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
reid

reid

Bike : 2005 ATK450en (Cannondale)

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: my bike   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/27/2010, 8:34 pm

Rate your bike 02212
I picked up the 2005 ATK 450en (Cannondale) used a few months ago. I was away from motorcycling for almost 20 years. My last two bikes - 91 yz250 - 87 Cagiva 500
The ATK was in storage for about two years had low miles just needed a little TLC new tires kill switch fork seals etc. It goes fast has great suspension parts are easy to get. its a little heavy but 450's with electric start usually are. Only things I don't like is that is electric start only, changing the oil is a big pain in the neck.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your bike   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 8:42 am

Rate your bike DNA023

KTM 530 EXC-R Rate your bike 811920

Good
1. Lots of power. Blip of throttle will raise front tire. Will tractor up steep rocky grades in 2nd gear.
2. Light weight as offroad bikes go 255lbs.
3. Very easy to get oem and aftermarket parts for. Have dealer down the street.
4. Some of my riding buddies have the same model, this makes it easier to borrow tools and knowledge.
5. Comes from the factory with high-end parts such as wheels, hydraulic clutch ect.
6. Factory plated. Don't have to worry about the Man pulling my plate.
7. Tall 6th gear for freeway I run 14/52 and can run down the freeway.

Bad
1. More hands on such as oil change, frequent valve checks and not as reliable as the Japanese bikes.
2. Hot start problems when battery dead and after bike falls and no hot start pull.(Kick Ten Minutes). New high amp stator will hopefully fix that.
3. Does not have fuel injection like the newer Japanese counterparts. Need to jet.
4. Initial cost of bike is more money but I don't have to upgrade a few things.
5. Must de-smog, change gearing, and rejet to get it to run correctly due to EPA Crap.
6. Light is crap.

Last edited by YamWOW! on 7/28/2010, 9:49 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ken Phipps

Ken Phipps

Bike : 2006 Suzuki DR650SE

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: 2006 DR650   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 9:10 am

I purchased my 2006 DR650 in Jan, 2007. It now has 11,000 miles on it. My primary concerns at the time of purchase were:
1. Low initial cost
2. Reliable
3. Streetable and forrest road capable.
4. Comfortable

This is my 4th riding season on the bike and I would rate it as follows:

1. 10 I paid $4570 plus tax and license.

2. 10 It is absolutely bullet proof and shows no signs of wear. The engine has not been touched. I have not even had to adjust the drive chain, believe it or not.

3. 7 I run a 14 tooth sprocket for off roading and a 16 tooth for highway. It could still stand lower gearing for off road riding. With the 14 tooth, a comfortable cruising speed on the highway is 55 to 60. With the 16 tooth, 65 to 70. The bike is too heavy for single tracking. I estimate it at about 340 lbs after trimming all excess stuff off.

4. 8 The bike fits me very well. I have a Corbin seat (the stock seat will kill you). I also have lower foot pegs from ProCycle and Renthal bars. I occasionally use a KTM windshield. The shield takes air off your chest but creates a lot of helmet wind noise.

All in all, I am very pleased with the bike.

The Old One
Back to top Go down
hugemoth

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: Lifan 200 GY5   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 1:38 pm

I already had large road bikes but wanted a small and inexpensive dual sport to take along to fly-in/camp-outs. 3 local PPC pilots and I bought Lifan 200s in 2007 for $1375.00 delivered to our homes in the factory crates. They are somewhat crude by today's standards, more like an early 80s bike but they have been rugged and reliable. Mine has the most miles having just turned over 20,000 and none of the 4 bikes have had any mechanical problems.

Likes: Economical, simple, reliable, rugged, good full size frame, and did I say low cost?

Dislikes: Suspension, seat.

The engine is a single cylinder, air cooled, pushrod, 5 speed, electric and kick start, quiet running, with good low end torque, about 16 hp. Fit and finish is quite good. Top speed with stock gearing is about 65 with no wind or hills.

Frame is copy of an older model Honda. Fit and finish is not as good as the engine but is sturdy enough. Paint is crappy. Instruments and controls are basic and work well. Came with a sturdy rack..

Conclusion: A really cheap bike that does the job and always gets you where you want to go. I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

Rate your bike IMG_2438s
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your bike   Rate your bike Icon_minitime7/28/2010, 8:43 pm

ok, here it is.

i was looking for a good 50/50 bike.

in stock trim paper work when i bought it said 42 HP.
tires sucked on anything but pavement were they did real well.
got great gas milage
seat is very hard
meet all my initial standard when i first bought it
price was right
will only lift the front end in 1st gear.

stock trim

Rate your bike Cell_p12

after all my mods,

skid plate
new D606's
14 t counter sprocket
renthal bars
shortend LP bracket with new tail light
disconected all saftey switches (i guess they tend to cause problems)
removed pass. pegs
FMF Q-4 exaust
dyna jet kit. 160 main, 4th slot from top on the needle clip, fuel screw out 1 1/2 turn, drilled second hole in carb slide. ground header weld
moose raceing air filter, modded the air box.

ummm, thats most of the mods. with all the performance mods done, dyno sheets from other like bikes with same mods show a increase of about 8% in power. the big diffrence is the second hole drilled in the slide allowing much faster throtle responce. a big diffrence in performance of the bike. gas milage went from about 50 mpg to 40 mpg, cost you have to pay for more power.

now will loft the front end in 2nd gear ( sceerd me the first time i did it)
and other then the suspention needing to be re-worked, ( way to soft for my size) the bike is were i want it. has done everything i needed to do and even a little single track ( were i first laid it down)

now i just need to work on a tank bag or paners so i can chuck the back pack i wear.

love this bike, reliable, fun, cheap to maintain, and its mine....... hope i coverd it all.

Rate your bike Cell_p10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rate your bike Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rate your bike   Rate your bike Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rate your bike
Page 1 of 1