PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!

Go down 
+3
YamWOW!
Inspector
Hodakaguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Empty
PostSubject: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 5:31 pm

We finally got around to modding my Doodlebug, look in the mod section for my fathers doodle bug with a Honda GX200 on it. For my bike I went with the Harbor Freight 6.5hp engine and a NOS Comet TAV30 Torq Converter for the "transmission".

I originally purchased a Comet TAV2 unit with the aluminum backing plate, I fit it up and realized that the bracing cast into the back side of the aluminum backing plate was going to interfere with the engine mount up. I could grind out one of the webs to make it fit or find an older TAV30 assembly that had the steel backing plate (I had read that they bolt right up with no mods). I sold the TAV2 (making $50 in the process) and purchased two NOS TAV30 units from ebay.

We have a desert camping trip coming up "See Alvord Meet under upcoming events" and we want to take both mini's so we needed to get going on this project. First we had to lay out and cut the holes to re-align the chain and the sprocket on the TAV30 unit. A note here...although the steel backed TAV30 unit will bolt right up to the engine with no mods the "fingers" that hold the plastic cover on interfere with the engine mount plate and prevent the engine from sliding into place. You can see the notch that we cut to allow the finger to clear.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4093

You will need to lift the engine 1/2" to allow the rear of the torq converter to clear the frame. You will also need to cut off the idler pulley/chain adjuster and the tab that the rear chain guard mounts to, they both will interfere with the converter unit. Here's a shot of the 1/2" thick aluminum plate that we used to make the spacer. The notch for the cover "finger" in this pic is smaller than the picture above, I ended up adding a little length so the engine could slide for chain adjustment.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4087

Here you can see the chain roller/adjuster and upper chain guard mount tab has been removed.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4127

Rear of the TAV30 unit. You can see the engine mounted on the aluminum spacer.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4124

Here's a shot of the cover "finger" and a added engine mount plate brace that we welded in, probably not needed but can't hurt.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4142

The plastic cover on the TAV30 unit will hit the frame and keep it from installing properly. A little trimming on the bottom of the cover lets it fit up nicely.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4104

Cover installed.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4110

I wanted to keep the stock chain guard on the back so we cut it down and welded in a new mount tab that doesn't interfere with the TAV unit.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4144

For mounting the throttle cable onto the Harbor Freight 6.5hp engine we had to get a little creative. We used the barrel assy off the stock 2.8hp unit to attach the wire part of the cable and I bent up a side plate from a piece of 520 chain to hold down the outer cable housing. Works great and no need to purchase an adapter etc.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4111

Closer shot of the 520 chain side plate acting as a cable holder.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4112

I was originally going to attach the throttle return spring to the barrel adapter but the cover for the air cleaner was interfering with that setup. I ended up just notching the throttle lever and attaching the spring to it instead. I also removed the wafer washer on the throttle lever and replaced it with a nylon washer/spacer. Now the throttle lever slides nice and smooth without any slop.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4114

Air box installed again. No clearance issues.

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4121

All back together again. Now I just have to dissemble the whole thing and give it a custom paint job this winter. Hmmm...I'm thinking KTM orange!

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4146

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! IMG_4149

We have two Doodlebug mini's, one with the Harbor Freight 6.5hp engine and one with a 6.5hp Honda GS200 on it. Right now we have a regular centrifugal clutch on the Honda unit. Now that I can ride them back to back I can say the TAV unit is SOOOOO much better than the centrifugal clutch. It's smooooooth, will out accelerate the centrifugal unit, and has a TON of torque off the start now, enough that it's hard to keep the front end down when you nail it. We are currently installing the second TAV unit on the Honda now. I would highly recommend the TAV unit.
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 6:51 pm

dude that is soooo cool. The stock stuff on mine now makes it so I can't even ride it.

*I don't have your fab/assembly/etc skills. Sad
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 7:37 pm

Is it plated? Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165
Back to top Go down
YAMAHAULER

YAMAHAULER

Bike : '81 XT500H, 2005 XR650L, 83 Big Red

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/13/2010, 7:56 pm

I wish I had half the "free time" you do... Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 6229

Nice doodle mod. Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 5543
Back to top Go down
ol guy

ol guy

Bike : 06- KLX 351

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 9:45 am

Oh I don't know, Kawasaki green looks pretty good to me. Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 5543
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 8:44 pm

Inspector wrote:
dude that is soooo cool. The stock stuff on mine now makes it so I can't even ride it.

*I don't have your fab/assembly/etc skills. Sad

If your not into fabbing stuff there is a guy on the OldMinibike Forums that makes a kit to swap over to a 6.5hp engine. Here's the link: CLICK HERE. These things will really haul with the 6.5hp engine on them, even up hill. With the Torq-a-verter it's hard to keep the front end on the ground when taking off....Oh Yeah!

YamWOW! wrote:
Is it plated? Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165

Hmmm....OBCDR on a modded DB30? Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 5543

YAMAHAULER wrote:
I wish I had half the "free time" you do... Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 6229

Nice doodle mod. Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 5543

I don't have near as much as it might seem. I usually get up a couple hrs before the rest of the house so I try to use that time to play in the garage etc. This past friday Grandma watched my son and my father and I got quite a bit done on the bikes. I'll be up super early in the am Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 799451 Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 799451 Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 799451 to finish installing the TAV unit on my fathers doodle bug as well. Fun Stuff.

ol guy wrote:
Oh I don't know, Kawasaki green looks pretty good to me. Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 5543

Hmmm...I was thinking about army drab green but I think I'll still go with the orange. That coolaid just taste's soooooo good Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 811920 Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165 Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165 Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165

Hodakgauy
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/14/2010, 9:54 pm

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Orange

Hodakaguy even has his minibike/powered parachute suit to go with it. He had to get from an X Willy Wonka employee. I'm thinking new Avatar!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/15/2010, 4:35 am

Nice! Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165 Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 624421

EDIT: I thought it was red but I guess it is orange. Either way I think I'll pass on the suit. Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165

Hodakaguy

Last edited by Hodakaguy on 8/15/2010, 5:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime8/15/2010, 5:45 am

Hodakaguy wrote:
That couldn't be me, its not orange Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! 84165

Hodakaguy
Oh that's orange. I didn't find that searching different color.
Back to top Go down
DoctorXRR

DoctorXRR

Bike : 2003 DR650

PostSubject: Doodlebugs   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime12/28/2010, 10:43 pm

[b]Awesome job on your minis, very inventive and creative! Brings back childhood memories of when I went to Mercer Jr. High in Seattle, we had an incredible shop teacher (now active in the VME) who helped us build mini bikes from the ground up. We were broke poor as kids, so I just worked on a old used one. I remember sand casting the wheels and machining them in a lathe, bolting the two haves together. I was about 14.....I think it set me off on my life long love of motorcycles.
Back to top Go down
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php
KTM Kirkland

KTM Kirkland

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC Champion

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime9/12/2011, 9:58 am

Ha that's funny - I have the SAME bike....copy Honda 6HP engine in it...a rocket!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!   Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install.  OH YEAH! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda DB30 6.5hp Engine/Comet Torq Converter install. OH YEAH!
Page 1 of 1