PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Helmet Cams

Go down 
+4
Hodakaguy
Shane
pjturbo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pjturbo

pjturbo

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 12:11 pm

Anybody using helmet cams? I'm looking to get one and would like advice on what works and what dosen't. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Phil J
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 8:03 pm

"go pro" seems to be a popular one. a friend just uesed his snap shot camera in movie mode and it did exelent mounted on a good mount on his bars !
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/9/2010, 8:12 pm

I'm using the GoPro HD and love it. Takes great video, bullet proof and it's all in a small package.

Here's a couple videos taken with my GoPro unit. Double click the videos to watch them full screen on Youtube. Select 720P for the best picture.

Hodakaguy

and the same camera attached to my RC plane.

Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
pjturbo

pjturbo

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 3:52 pm

Hodakaguy, have you had any problems with the GoPro snagging on limbs or brush? How easy is it to start and stop while riding? I was looking a the ContourHD as it seem a little smaller and less likely to snag. Also the start stop switch looks like it would be easier to use on the move. The specs seem the same for both. I would also need to go from MC helmet to ski goggles. Thanks for comments.

Phil
Back to top Go down

Bike : '82XL500R

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 4:08 pm

I bought one like the one in this thread on Thumpertalk, but it hasn't gotten here yet, so I'm really no help. Troy341
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 4:45 pm

pjturbo wrote:
Hodakaguy, have you had any problems with the GoPro snagging on limbs or brush? How easy is it to start and stop while riding? I was looking a the ContourHD as it seem a little smaller and less likely to snag. Also the start stop switch looks like it would be easier to use on the move. The specs seem the same for both. I would also need to go from MC helmet to ski goggles. Thanks for comments.

Phil

For the most part the camera isn't noticeable at all, I've only snagged it one time. Check at 6 min, 46sec in on the video below, nothing was damaged (my neck didn't like it though Gahhh

There is a just released firm ware update for it that now allows one button start stop, I need to flash mine to the new firmware before our ride this weekend. I like the wider angle on the Gopro but other than that the Contour looks sweet as well. The GoPro wouldn't we as good on a goggle strap since its a little wider but would fit perfect on top of a ski helmet.

Hope this helps.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
pjturbo

pjturbo

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/15/2010, 5:17 pm

Thanks. Helps alot. REI sells the Contour so I'm going to look at it this week end. Need to find a source for the GOPro.

Phil
Back to top Go down

Bike : '82XL500R

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Test vid   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime9/26/2010, 5:23 pm

This vid sucks, but I was just carrying it and goofing off. I spent $25 on this camera and micro SD card. Search MD-80 on ebay. This is also a bike that I corrupted a friend into getting. Bwahahaha! Troy341

vid
Back to top Go down
KatoomVictim

KatoomVictim

Bike : '07 KTM 525 EXC

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 12:43 pm

In my neverending indecisive search for a helmet cam, I stumbled upon what I think I my get myself. It's a goggle cam. Seems like a good Idea to me.

http://www.liquidimageco.com/products/offroad/
Back to top Go down
novocaine

Bike : 11 ktm 530 XcW six days

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: contour HD   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime1/31/2011, 10:30 pm

I bought the contour HD primarily because it is rugged, easy on/off switch, and I primarily plan to use it on goggles. I got the waterproof housing for it to use kayaking as well, but haven't tried it yet in the water. I really like this camera, and it's definitely lower profile than others I have seen. takes great vids as well! Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 2:33 pm

Besides looking ridiculous, $200 for the GoPro makes it top choice. It doesn't have a leash like the Contour, but it definitely holds on. We use it Rhino racing (yeah, the Yahama SxS), but we've attached it in the sand and it works awesome. It's easy one button push on/off to get it going, just make sure the light is blinking and you had it set right (going to want to keep the booklet around as the little screen isn't detailed). It has a lot of available mounts, I actually think that on the helmet is my least favorite. Chest mount looks really good (there a Kawasaki in Glamis on youtube that look like you are actually on the bike), and I'm thinking boot mounted! I already attached it to the dog when we first got it :) It's a pretty versatile little thing, and I think you can (or could) get them at Costco. GoPro now also has "backpacks" to extend the features - battery pack, the new one is an LCD pack I think. It's a neat deal.

The new GoPro promo video is really cool too. I think they have their own Youtube channel.

edit: here is the promo vid...

And the dog view (if you get motion sickness, don't watch...)
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime2/1/2011, 3:15 pm

If you own the GoPro 1080 HD version you can now get a cool screen to attach to the back of the camera. Should add a lot of functionality to the unit.

http://gopro.com/hd-hero-accessories/lcd-bacpac/

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
ZeroG56

Bike : 2009 CRF450X

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime2/8/2014, 1:22 pm

I have the Sony Action cam, AS10 and I love it. The video quality is on par or better than the GoPro hero3 black edition(my opinion). The nice thing about the Sony Action Cam is the SteadyShot image stabilization and it does 1080p @ 60FPS. The mounting options are starting to get better, RAM mounts makes some mounting options for it now as well. When I got mine it was $199.00 but you can now get the WIFI version for 199.00 and the non WIFI version for 169.00. They are also coming out with a completely new version. It's a great camera to look into, Just my 2 cents.

http://store.sony.com/WFS/SNYUS/en_US/-/USD/-zid27-HDRAS15/B/cat-27-catid-All-Action-Cam?k_id=2bb267c0-b071-19e9-6b99-0000185bf6d1&kpid=8198552921666484197&adparam=sem73pla&XID=O:HDRAS15/B:dg_gglsrch:pla&cagpspn=pla&gclid=COL27rG5vbwCFRSFfgod5mYAyg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Helmet Cams Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmet Cams   Helmet Cams Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Helmet Cams
Page 1 of 1