PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

pnw rain gear...

Go down 
+2
Inspector
jeffpack1957
6 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffpack1957

Bike : 2009 wr250r

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 5:03 pm

I bought the Thor Ride which they advert as waterproof, but my dealer was abit more truthfull and called them "heavily water resistant" which is more accurate.

But after last weekends rainy raide, I was stil pretty soaked by the end of the day.

So I was thinking abou tgetting a gore text parka/pants, but the cost is pretty high, and if it snags and tears, or I fall, etc, its alot of money for what becomes a virtual papwerweight if damaged.

I was thinking about frogg toggs, but dont know how they'd hold in trail use either. There are some cheap rain pants/parka's from Cabella's that are mostly coated nylon, with a mesh interior that seems like it would work.

Just looking at what others are using.

Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 5:46 pm

From listening...

Frogg Toggs...good stuff
Those expensive 2piece....don't
You are GOING to rip/tear stuff on the trail

I wear
Feet-socks and boots...going to get soaking wet
Legs-long johns,nylon sweats, and riding pants...stayed dryer than I thought
Torso-long johns, t-shirt, and DS jacket...stays dry but seeps in at the waist
Haha, I got nothin

Chris wears rain gear. He's a trooper and rides to/from rides.
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: yabutt.   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 6:35 pm

The Frogg Toggs, just seem like the worse for the potential to get ripped/torn on the trail.
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/14/2010, 8:25 pm

I HAVE USED THE FROG TOGGS AND THEY ARE DEFINITELY WATER PROOF. I USED THEM ON A 10 DAY DIRT BIKE TRIP AND THE BOTTOMS WERE HELD TOGETHER WITH DUCT TAPE BY THE TIME I GOT HOME. I WAS RIDING A BIKE THAT DOES NOT HAVE ELECTRIC START, AND KICK STARTING WAS WHAT DID THE RIPPING IN THE FROG TOGGS. WOULD USE AGAIN, FAIRLY COMPACT AND ARE NOT VERY EXPENSIVE.
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 1:01 pm

I just dont see how those will hold up in trail use.

At Cabela's I found this "packable" series of parka/pants that looks like might do the trick.

Other problem with frogg toggs, is they come in an entire suit, and in my case upper/lower is different because of my upper body armor.

Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 3:59 pm

jeffpack1957 wrote:
I just dont see how those will hold up in trail use.
Pretty much anything you slide down the road with is going to get chewed up. Otherwise you may get an unlucky snag from branch, root, etc. , but chances are stuff will hold together for a few rides.

jeffpack1957 wrote:

At Cabela's I found this "packable" series of parka/pants that looks like might do the trick.
Other problem with frogg toggs, is they come in an entire suit, and in my case upper/lower is different because of my upper body armor.

Not a clue how stuff fits, but I'm guessing anything that is waterproof and breathable will do just fine.

*the wife bought me a coleman set of rain gear that I have just sitting there, waiting for a rainy day. Problem is if it's raining hard enough where I need to break them out....probably won't be riding.LOL
Back to top Go down
dhally

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/15/2010, 9:30 pm

Rain gear? Ha! Years ago when we rode Trask / Tillamook forest in the winter it was always wet and rainy. But we weren't going very fast due to the mud and slimy roots. We would wear full-on rubber rain gear - coat, pants duct-taped to rubber boots, and sometimes even rubber gloves. Only protective gear was knee/shin guards.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 12:07 am

I have it down pretty pat..

Grundens rain coat and pants (nylon, never ever pvc)
(frogg toggs are not very durable)
Soft shell coat, Fleece underneath
wool pants (stay dry) fleece underneath
wool or polyester long johns

winter snow boots waterproofed with sno-seal
Outdoor Research CROCS gaiters on top of boots
two pairs wool socks

ski gloves that have been waterproofed
extra pair ski gloves, one pair riding gloves
extra fleece coat
pocket hand warmers

I havent been wet at all with this setup, even through creek crossings and pouring rain/snow/sleet. The heavy thick wool pants under the rain gear makes 100% difference, as do the CROCS. My feet stay dry even dunked up to the top.. if you don't have wool pants or CROCS drop everything you are doing and get some.
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
n16ht5

n16ht5

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 12:10 am

pnw rain gear... Or_crocodiles_chili_09

crocs.

and never wear cotton. at all.

pnw rain gear... 1128741656_VCi74-L
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 6:57 am

It's one thing to get sopping wet and hop in your truck at the end of the ride (which i do). It's another to have to ride an hour or more in the freezing cold when you are done with the trails....I'd listen to Chris. LOL
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 8:57 am

Grundens is good gear, but expensive.

In construction you'll find most of us wearing the Carhardtt instead, as it has double layers in heavy points, and neoprene arm seals. Plus being, its repairable. Not sure about the Grundens.

On my Quad, I might wear my Carhardtt's, but they are abit too heavy for DS riding IMHO, thats why I'm going to try these out and see how they work.

I like those gaiters though, might have to check those out.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 11:56 am

jeffpack1957 wrote:
Grundens is good gear, but expensive.

In construction you'll find most of us wearing the Carhardtt instead, as it has double layers in heavy points, and neoprene arm seals. Plus being, its repairable. Not sure about the Grundens.

On my Quad, I might wear my Carhardtt's, but they are abit too heavy for DS riding IMHO, thats why I'm going to try these out and see how they work.

I like those gaiters though, might have to check those out.

yeah I love the carhartt raingear, it is very nice stuff... but when it gets wet.. its like your're wearing a lead jacket.. not something you want on a dirt bike
Back to top Go down
lwhiteid

Bike : 2009 KTM 300XC

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 1:50 pm

We use raingear from Costco. It's not expensive and so far works to keep us dry. Now, we don't ride for days and days in the rain, just use it when caught in the rain. I layer it over my clothes. It seems to be only sold in the spring at Costco, and I always pick up more sets as we keep some in the camper as well as our gear bags.
janwhite
Back to top Go down
jeffpack1957

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime12/22/2010, 4:31 pm

I just got my Cabella's Packable rain gear in, fits well, looks to be just fine.

Only downside is no leg zippers to open up, so getting the pants on might be slightly problematic on the fly, but before donning the boots is as easy as any other rain gear.

Plus on sale at their website, so tough to beat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

pnw rain gear... Empty
PostSubject: Re: pnw rain gear...   pnw rain gear... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pnw rain gear...
Page 1 of 1