PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Focker

Focker

Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Empty
PostSubject: Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace   Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Icon_minitime1/31/2009, 9:33 pm

I didn't have any major plans today so I fabbed up a $4 rear fender brace. The main purpose of this brace is to support my Giant Loop & gear for long trips!

I started with a piece of 3/4" stock measuring 14" in length. I made a mark at 4" from the ends leaving 6" in the middle.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture001xp0

Using a torch I warmed up the metal and started my bends.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture002mz2

Perfect fit!
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture003mx7

I used a piece of paper as a template to come up with the twist idea.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture004zy1

I love it when a plan comes together.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture005mc4

I chose the minimalist approach using 1/2" square tubing but have confidence this will be enough to support my luggage adequately (almost said erotically...Gotta love spell check).
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture006sy4

It'll go something like this...The other piece of metal is part of the Baja Designs rear taillight support. The most costly part of this job was hiring the hand model.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture007co9

The lower mounts were harder to make. I used some paper as a template to keep me pointed in the right direction.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture008dm5

With the tabs fabbed and in place I wedged the square tubing into position...Ready for some tack welds.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture010jj2

For the next phase I turned to my trusty welders Hodakaguy & his Dad who happened to be welding on their project (Click Here) across the street.
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture011mu4

The final welds connecting my brace to the Baja Designs brace...Looking good I must say!
Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Picture012pd1

What's next is to mount the Giant Loop and camp gear to see if I need/want any mounting loops for straps & bungee hooks. Once that's settled I'll clean up the craftsmanship and powder coat this baby! big
Back to top Go down
http://www.xr650rforum.com
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace   Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Icon_minitime2/3/2009, 9:03 am

Nice job... thumb
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace   Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Icon_minitime2/5/2009, 5:27 pm

Nice work, Focker! As some one once told me, Great Yankee Ingenuity! thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace   Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Honda XR650R Rear Fender Brace
Page 1 of 1