PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Needle measurements?

Go down 
+2
Hodakaguy
Inspector
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Needle measurements? Empty
PostSubject: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 2:10 pm

I have 3 different needles. Took the calipers to them and got less than a .003 difference. Seriously? That little makes a difference? Or is it more likely they messed up?

Measured the width in those three different places. Also measured the length that protruded from the slide when installed

enduroguy?

Needle measurements? Measureneedles
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 2:13 pm

My guess is that the JD red and blue are supposed to be identical except for the placement of the clip. Those slots should be half off or different. That's how you should be able to get the half a clip movement....right?

Now that I write this...i think i am right, and i just got done installing it. Should I take it out and call JD up?
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 4:10 pm

The taper on the needle is subtle but does make a big difference. A few thousands is enough to make a significant change on the taper of the needle depending on where on the needle it's at etc. Going from memory I think the blue needle is a "rich needle" and the red is a "lean" needle. The blue needle should be slightly smaller in diameter than the red needle.

Do you have the instructions from JD? If so I'd follow what he lists, the instructions were right on for my 530

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 6:32 pm

Drink a bottle of J.D. and then the answere will be clear.Needle measurements? 5543
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime10/1/2011, 8:55 pm

From the photo it appears that the taper is different mainly near the tip. It's all about the transitions at low throttle positions. Some of the taper faster, some slower. I've even seen needles with a double taper - gets thicker then thinner then thicker.

You might try measuring in more spots near the tip. And yes a very small change can make a difference.
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime10/4/2011, 9:00 am

What size are the jets? Pilot and main. Should be give or take 178 main and 48 pilot for a good start. I'm not real familiar with JD stuff but from what I hear just follow his directions as to tip color/taper. Remember we were running 4000 to 6500 ft last time we rode. I for one could have benefited a bunch just dropping the needle one clip. You didn't foul a plug that day so your not super rich, Give it a run down here before ya wrench too much on it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
Rippn

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime11/10/2011, 10:57 pm

OH... just toss a ACE Hardware washer under the clip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bwhahahahahahahahahaaaahahahahaahahahahahahahhahahaahhaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had a needle tapper chart/specs ( where is it now...???) maybe in an old western power sports catg...
MIND NUMBING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had never HEARD of a double taper... till then... TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clean, in the woods... and unseized at WFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE and clean, Ripp'n
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Needle measurements?   Needle measurements? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Needle measurements?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: General Bike Discussion-
Jump to: