PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buffalo Hump (Idaho)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mjn

mjn

Bike : '03 KLR 650

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Empty
PostSubject: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime11/21/2011, 6:21 pm

Have any of you ridden up into the Hump on your bikes? East from Grangeville, turn south after Golden to Orogrande, up to the Orogrande summit, and then it gets interesting....

It is not for the weak of heart (or legs, or arms etc..) but WELL worth the effort.

I've been in there twice on my ATV. My cousin was on his Trail 110 both times. It would be a real challenging ride on the KLR.. Here's a couple pics;

The first time in. 2006. This shot is taken at just short of 7000 feet, right before Orogrande summit;

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camptrip06117

just past the summit is Wildhorse lake. Absolutely beautiful.

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camptrip06121

From that point forward... the cakewalk is over. The last 15 or so miles are brutal.

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camptrip06127

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camptrip06130

A large forest fire kept us out the next year. So in 08, my cousin and I went all the way in.. Take a look at the beauty..

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08012

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08014

once up in the hump, it's not too bad;

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08033

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08039
Back to top Go down
mjn

mjn

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime11/21/2011, 6:27 pm

I took more photo's on the way back out. The following pictures are what they call the "staircase";

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08049

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08050

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08051

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08054

My trusty old Honda just kept on pluggin away...

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08040

A little steep in places...

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08053

The fire really cleaned out a few sections.. this was almost the exact same spot as the first picture I posted in this thread....

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camp08059
Back to top Go down
craig2211

craig2211

Bike : 2016 KTM 500 EXC 6-days

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime11/21/2011, 8:27 pm

those are some great pictures, i'd like to hook up with you next summer and ride some of that area. I think i could get a few of guys to go with me and do some adventure riding with you.
Back to top Go down
mjn

mjn

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime11/21/2011, 9:56 pm

craig2211 wrote:
those are some great pictures, i'd like to hook up with you next summer and ride some of that area. I think i could get a few of guys to go with me and do some adventure riding with you.

Well... like I said.. I've never done the Hump on two wheels.. only four. The ride from the Summit to the Hump is unbelieveably brutal. I honestly am not sure I'd want to do it on the KLR..

By the time my cousin and I made it to the Hump, we both had upset stomachs.. I've ridden ALL over that part of Idaho.. I've got just short of 8000 miles on my 02 Rancher, and that is the only time I was beat up enough to get an upset stomach..

In 06, we met a couple guys on smaller BMW dualsports. They were a short ways out of the Orogrande summit...not even into the real nasty stuff yet.. and as soon as we told them it was one way in and one way out... they turned around.

The two times we went in, I prayed that my Honda would not break.. 'cause I really did not want to subject my pickup to that "road"..

I spent 7 years of my life working for a mining company in that area.. I know it well. There are TONS of fantastic dualsport roads/trails... this is definitely a black diamond ride.

A perfect doublesport ride would be the Elk City Wagon road.. google it. I've ridden the whole thing several times.. great road/trail. Gotta take the Pilot Knob excursion though... That brings you here.. to the Pilot Knob lookout;

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Camptrip05048
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime11/22/2011, 4:59 am

craig2211 wrote:

+1...looks like a blast!

Thanks for posting up the pics thumb

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime12/2/2011, 12:32 pm

Funny looking helmets?! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
mjn

mjn

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime12/2/2011, 12:34 pm

PeteN95 wrote:
Funny looking helmets?! Rolling Eyes

Buffalo Hump (Idaho) 84165
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buffalo Hump (Idaho)   Buffalo Hump (Idaho) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buffalo Hump (Idaho)
Page 1 of 1