PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics

Go down 
+8
n16ht5
Meberhar
Relaytech
Inspector
mamacone
DEisenhard
Shane
Hodakaguy
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/9/2013, 8:22 pm

Wanted to install some more sound dampening material today before re-installing the rear seat. I picked up some HushMat sound deadening material and then set out to find a small 1" wide roller to apply it with. Figured I could find one easy at a local hardware store....well 4 stores later I was tired of wasting time trying to find one so it's time to make one!

A quick trip to Mike's to use his lathe. Drilling a hole into a piece of aluminum round stock to make a roller.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 140

Rounding the edges on the roller with a drill and a flapper wheel.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01597

Took a old screw driver and cut the tip off then bent it 90 deg.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01600

Tack welded a couple washers on each side of the roller....this should work fine :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01602

Starting to install the Hushmat. It molds easier than the DynaMat and sticks a LOT better. I'll cover everything clear to the back with the Hushmat. Hopefully it will make it a little quieter going down the road :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01622

My father finishing prep on the new propane tank while I was making the roller tool. I wanted to coat the ends of the tank with bed liner to keep it from being chipped up from rocks and rusting. Ended up coating the ends, brackets, bottom and back with the undercoating. Left the front in factory paint.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01589

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01596

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01615

As usual I didn't get done a fraction of what I planned. Ended up helping the neighbor on a project so didn't get the tank installed yet. More work on it tomorrow :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/10/2013, 10:48 pm

Ok...this seat needs to get installed today so I can move on to other items.

First up...finish installing the HushMat under the rear of the seat. Ok...Check that off the list.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01624

Seat Re-installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01635

Engine ECU and wiring mounted up.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01645

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01644

Now that the Subaru ECU is mounted up I need to fabricate a cover to protect the ECU and wiring from stuff stored under the seat. The stock VW cover/protector won't fit over the Subaru ECU.....Bummer.

I had a couple pieces of aluminum laying around so I marked them up and headed to my friend Doug's house to use his Shear/Brake.

Here I'm bending the first piece. (I'm making two, one for me and one for my friend Mike).

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01647

From this....To this...In a couple minutes.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01649

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01650

Edges rounded, rear trimmed slightly and here I'm adding a few cooling holes.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01653

And mounted up VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 778284

I may take it back off and powder coat it black....or may just leave it bare aluminum, kinda like it both ways :-) Should keep the ECU and wiring nice and safe. The cover uses the stock two upper mounting holes, I added a third bottom mounting bracket that was removed from the OEM rear heater cover.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01657

I may end up making a batch of these to offer to other Vanagon conversion owners if there is interest.

More to come soon.....

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/16/2013, 7:20 pm

Decided to go ahead and powder coat the ECU cover.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01746

With that done I decided to install/torque the front axle nuts. I had ordered axle nuts from Van Cafe quite a awhile back and they were a lot nicer than the nuts that came in the CV boot kits. I had used the ones with the kits to get everything bolted up and test fit...now it's time to install the good ones and torque them up.

The Van Cafe nut on the left, the one included with the boot kit on the right.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01689

Torquing to spec.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01691

I installed the passenger side brakes so I could get the brake hose bracket bent up and installed. I'll be removing the calipers/rotors so I can install the steel wheels to get it back out of the garage, Once outside again I can re-install them for good and bleed the brakes.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01714

GoWesty replacement radiator side deflectors. The quality of these parts are great, the OEM deflectors are made from a cardboard material where the GW units are made out of a plastic material. The GW units should hold up great.

GW unit next to the OEM unit.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01720

Fit like a glove :-) If your original units are missing or damaged I'd highly recommend the GW replacements.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01725

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01722

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01727

The bottom deflector I ordered from GW as well, it ended up being a OEM VW unit and made from the original material. It would have fit perfectly on a bus with no AC, since mine is equipped with AC a little trimming is in order.

Both sides looked just like the right side, you can see the area I trimmed out on the left to clear the AC lines.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01735

Bottom piece installed

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01742

I lost some time today to the shock bolts. The bolts I had originally bought for the lower shock bolts turned out to be about a 1/4" to long and when fully installed pressed into the bottom sway bar bushing. I purchased the correct length bolts and installed them on both sides today.

With the shock under tension I used a jack and a piece of wood to jack up the bottom of the shock and pull the bolt out, and of course the shock body twisted. I removed the sway bar connection on the right side and fought it for a while, then I finally separated the upper ball joint from the upper control arm which allowed me to drop the lower control arm down lower and get the new shock bolt installed. With the learning curve behind me the drivers side bolt swap went a lot smoother. Then I had to remove the sway bar mounts to get the bottom bushings back in place. Glad that's done......Make sure you use the correct length bolts the first time! :-)

Now to get some cleaning done in the garage and pick up some tools....my garage looks like it threw up all over itself lol. More progress soon.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/16/2013, 9:02 pm

We were in Seattle the last 2 days and I saw 2 of these vans jacked up with brush guards and all. Pretty sweet lookin rides. We even saw a Astro that was all jacked up but looked like a piece of $h!t. Must be popular over there.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/17/2013, 7:42 am

Shane wrote:
We were in Seattle the last 2 days and I saw 2 of these vans jacked up with brush guards and all. Pretty sweet lookin rides. We even saw a Astro that was all jacked up but looked like a piece of $h!t. Must be popular over there.

Seattle/Portland is home of the vanagon. Tons of them over that way.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/22/2013, 5:17 pm

Progress has been slow with work, got a little time today so headed to the garage :-).

I was going to fabricate some front outer CV protectors to protect the hard to get at front CV boots. With work and lack of time I decided to just order a set from Burley.

The protectors arrived yesterday from Burley and I set to work on installing them. Here are the protectors. Powder coated black and laser cut....nice!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01753

I removed the tires, brake and rotor assemblies. Here the protector is installed in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01768

And installed :-). These should really help keep the front boots in good cond, keeping rocks, mud, sticks etc away from the boots.

I assembled the brakes for real this time, torquing everything etc. Ready to bleed the brakes now and do the alignment.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01943

Installed the new lower grill as well....man can't wait to drive this baby!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01920

More progress as time permits.......

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/22/2013, 9:55 pm

woot! what a nice van. Almost too nice to drive. Now it's time to thrash it and use some of that armor...
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/30/2013, 5:05 pm

dhally wrote:
woot! what a nice van. Almost too nice to drive. Now it's time to thrash it and use some of that armor...

It will be driven...trashed...no :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime3/30/2013, 5:05 pm

Ok...been crazy busy at work the last couple weeks, I managed to sneak into the garage today for a few minutes work.

Went to hook up the line to the new clutch slave cylinder and found out I had mounted it 180 deg out from how it's suppose to be. The way I had it mounted was with the banjo bolt port facing the front of the bus (as it shows in the Bently Manual). With the bolt facing the front of the bus there is no clearance between the slave cyl and the fuel tank so you can't get the banjo bolt installed. Looking at my pre-tear down pics the original slave was facing the rear of the bus, not the front.

I REALLY wish I would have tack welded the bolts under the mounting bracket before I powder coated it, removing the slave cyl to turn it around is a real pain once the engine/trans are back in the bus. It's difficult to get to the bolts to back them up.....but with the help of a few extensions, universals and one custom cut wrench it was soon reversed. Once reversed the line fit perfect and was in it's relaxed position.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 ClutchCyl-1

After all the lines were installed and tightened it was time to bleed the brakes. I borrowed my buddy Mikes home brew power bleeder setup. It's made from a weed sprayer that is attached to a factory brake reservoir cap and has a pressure gauge on the side. Fill the reservoir, attach the cap and pump it up to 5-10 lbs. Once pumped up you just slip under the van, attach a hose to the bleeder and crack it open until a nice clear stream of brake fluid is coming out with no air bubbles. It's a one man job, the ONLY way to bleed brakes!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC09983

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC09987

More Soon....I hope :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/2/2013, 7:45 pm

Drained the oil from the trans axle and front diff, the oil looked really good that came out of both. There was a little fuzz on the magnetic drain plugs but nothing more than normal and no chunks of metal on either...good news. Refilled both ends with Swepco 201.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC00103

Installed the propane tank and hooked it up. Had to shorten the copper lines and re-flair the ends. Ok...check that off the list.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC00082

Hooked up a couple vacume hoses to the diff actuator and installed the clamps on the E-brake lines and plastic clutch line.

Scored a rubber front floor mat from a 80 Vanagon that was being parted out today. This is the way to go, easy to clean mud/dirt out and no ruined carpets VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 5543

Fresh out of the parts van where it's sat for years.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 244

45 minutes of scrubbing later it's looking good again. VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 778284

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC00090

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC00094-1

And installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC00096

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/3/2013, 8:15 pm

Lookin good thumb
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/3/2013, 9:25 pm

Filled the engine with oil today. The dip stick on the shortened RMW oil pan is designed to enter the pan vertically. ...the only way I could fit mine for clearance was with the dipstick entering the pan on a angle, which throws the calibration marks off. I placed a call to RMW and they said the pan is full at 4.75 quarts, so I filled the pan with 4.75 quarts and remarked the dipstick.

New full mark added.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01961

Time to set the alignment. I will be following Christopher's excellent instructions on alignment....time to get rolling.

First up is to level the van, although garage floors look level most are way out! Using a piece of 25' tubing and some colored water it's easy to level all four corners. I'm leveling with 12"x12" flooring tiles. You need at least two tiles on each front wheel to be used at turn plates (I used motor oil between the top two tiles on each front so the tire can turn freely) and stack tiles as needed in the rear.

I rolled the van back a bit so I can check level where the van will be sitting. Once you figure out what you need I rolled the van back into position and jacked the suspension up with a floor jack one corner at a time to insert the needed amount of tiles. With the small container of water in a stationary position check the height on the first wheel on top of two pieces of tile. I came up with 13.75".

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01964

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01966

Now go to the back and check the next spot....The water column was higher so I had to add tiles until the level read the 13.75" again. Repeat on all 4 corners until they are all at 13.75" (or your start reading).

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01975

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01978

Notice how many tiles are stacked on the passenger side rear, opposite the two tiles on the drivers front.....Yep, the garage is that far out of level!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01972

Since the front end has been completely taken apart and the tie rod ends are still unhooked we need to find out exactly where straight ahead is for the front wheels. Once the string line is squared perfectly we can find strait ahead.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01985

Strait and 20 deg lines marked out.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01988

With the alignment tool set up on the front wheel the measurements/adjustments can begin.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01994

Getting late tonight....I'll continue in the am.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/6/2013, 8:32 pm

Had to end up pulling the upper control arms and turning in the heim joints to get enough negative camber. Alignment is now rough set (fairly close) and it can be driven until I can get it on a rack and get it dialed in once the suspension beds in.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC01999

Time to hook up the power steering. I was going to use the OEM reservoir since it already has the mount in the engine bay and the 06 Subaru res would need a custom mount......BUT i think i let the reservoir go with the original engine when I sold it..Dohhh! VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 423485 A quick trip to a junk yard yielded an original VW unit :-), about an hour later it's all cleaned up and ready to install. The VW unit has a nice large filter in the bottom of the unit...nice! Installed the res with the new RMW hoses.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02001

SS Coolant lines, heater hoses and coolant tank installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02006

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02024

Time to add coolant. I hooked up the AirLift to pull a vacuum on the system and check for leaks. You hook an air compressor to a venturi that pulls the air out of the cooling system. Once you have a vacuum on the system all your cooling lines will collapse and you shut in the system. You then look at the vacuum gauge and make sure it holds steady, if the gauge starts dropping you have a leak. Well the gauge started dropping at a fairly quick rate as soon as I blocked in the venturi, luckily it turned out to be a single hose clamp that had escaped being tightened, once it was tightened another vacuum was pulled and it stayed rock solid :-). It's a nice way to check for leaks without spilling coolant all over the place.

Venturi attached and pulling a vacuum on the system.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02010

Once the vacuum is pulled you can hook up the fill line and place it in the coolant. Now just open the valve and the vacuum in the system will pull the coolant right in. In a normal vehicle this is the ONLY way to fill a cooling system, no air in the system and no elaborate bleeding procedures. But...on the vanagon the radiator is higher than the surge tank so it won't fill 100% with it on all 4 wheels. You can raise the rear of the van so the surge tank is higher than the radiator then it should work...or you can use the bong method. I'll finish bleeding the system once it's outside where I won't make a huge mess :-).

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02018

Hooking up the alternator harness.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02039

Mike came over and we knocked out a lot of the wiring tonight. Starting to look a lot cleaner in the engine bay! Still have some cleaning up to do on the wiring.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02041

Completed several other small tasks, new Bosch fuel pump installed, engine carrier bolted up and torqued, Shift linkage hooked back up, etc.

Started wiring in a couple HID lights on the brush guard tonight, these will come in handy in the wide open spaces of NV.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02032

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02034

More to come soon.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/7/2013, 6:41 pm

Spent most of the day with the family today, got a little time in the garage this afternoon so decided to work on something fun tonight.

Decided to wire up the HID lights tonight. I installed a 30 amp relay under the dash and fed the wiring out behind the drivers head light. I grounded the lights to the body at the same location for the local head light ground.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02059

I used two prong plugs at the lights so they can be removed if needed. All connections were soldered and heat shrunk and dielectric grease on the plugs.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02050

Wiring snap tied in place in front of the condenser.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02054

The wiring from the lights is fed down into the upper slat in the lower grill. I will come back later and tack weld a washer in place on top of the mounting bolt to prevent them from running off when the van is parked, then I'll place a rubber cap over the nut/washer assy to clean it up.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02082

I used a factory driving light switch to actuate the relay for the HID's, this switch keeps the dash looking stock and clean. I decided not to wire in the indicator light on the switch so it won't be blinding me at night when the lights are on.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02089

And finished up. Hard to see in the pics but these babies are bright!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02075

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02084

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/12/2013, 9:14 pm

Today's Progress. I'm getting really close to being able to start this baby! Sooooo with that in mind I started right out on something important this morning.....Installing Postal Flares! :-)

Before....

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02094

And After...

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02101

Rear Installed. The fit and finish of these parts are perfect!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02113

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02115

And installed. I really like the looks of the flares. Plus the front flairs keep the dirt and road grime off the inner lip of the fender well so your cloths stay clean getting in and out.

Excuse the thrashed garage VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 6229

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02110

Next up fill/bleed the power steering system. The front of the Van was jacked up until the tires are barely off the ground. I then connected a hose to the feed line heading to the power steering rack and hooked it to a funnel hanging from the rear strut. My father turned the wheel slowly back and forth as I kept the funnel topped off until a nice clean stream of air free ATF was pouring out the return line. Then I filled the pump and return hose from the reservoir with ATF and connected the hoses back up. With the reservoir filled it was back to slowly turning the wheel back and forth to finish working any air out of the system.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02120

Finished most of the engine wiring today, the only wiring left is the speed sensor wiring that will be installed when the rear axles are put back in.

Still a little more cleaning/organizing to go.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02127

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02128

A couple more items showed up today.

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02130

And a matching set of Awnings. The drivers side awning is great for keeping excess heat out of the bus when parked in direct sunlight. These babies will come in real handy in the deserts of NV! I'll be modifying the mounting brackets before installing the awnings to lessen the stress on the rain gutters.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Download

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/13/2013, 9:37 pm

More progress....

Started off by installing the fuel pressure regulator and filter. I used the Rivet Nut gun to install Rivet Nuts on the firewall to attach the regulator and filter assy.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02136

Rivet Nuts set.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02141

And all bolted up/installed.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02162

If your not running a vacuum line to the port on top of the regulator you need to leave it open to atmosphere for the regulator to function correctly. But....if the internal diaphragm ever gets a hole in it fuel will fill the spring cavity and start spraying out the port and into the engine bay.....No good! As a safety precaution I vented the port through a 90 deg motorcycle fuel filter (to keep bugs ect out of the port) then ran a hose down under the engine bay. If the diaphragm ever fails fuel will now spray down onto the ground.

The regulator vent setup.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02157

Air Intake....

I had planned on using a Subaru air intake from a late 90's model Subaru like my friend Mike had done...but my intake manifold is taller and closer to the firewall than his so the Subaru rubber intake doesn't fit on my setup :-(. Sooooo as a temporary fix I installed the RMW cold air intake that comes with the kit. I really dislike these Intakes as they are loud and pass a lot of dirt. This setup will get me up and running, eventually I'm going to set up a custom intake using a Sand Rail Cyclone filter setup to keep the engine protected when driving through desert poof dust.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02170

Preparing to install the new awnings.

Awnings that mount on the rain gutters of the Westy put a lot of stress on the gutter and can bend/crack the gutters over time. The brackets that came with the Fiamma F35 Pro's are three inches wide and there are two brackets. The F35 weighs somewhere around 25lbs so that is distributed through the 6" of total contact with the gutter. I figured spreading the weight out with a wider foot print would be a good idea to try and prevent future gutter problems.

The factory brackets (already started grinding paint in these shots)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02145

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02147

And modified. My father welded up the extensions on the brackets while I worked on the fuel system. Now instead of 3" of contact we have 20" of contact on the two front brackets and 18" on the rear brackets.

Here's the modified brackets fresh out of the powder coating oven.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02187

And holding the bracket assy in place so you can see how it will fit in the gutters.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02191

Looks like a stock bracket from the ground looking up.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02193

I'm thinking about adding a Rivet Nut to the foot of each bracket to lock the awning down and keep it from flopping up when driving down washboard roads etc......I just hate drilling holes in the side of the body VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 682341

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/14/2013, 9:01 pm

Ok....MAJOR milestone today. IT RUNS!!!!

Started off the day by finishing up some wiring, installed the O2 sensors and finished off the temporary intake by fabricating a bracket to secure the cone filter to the body. Added 6 gallons of fuel to the tank and cycled the key several times to prime the fuel pump. Once primed I set the regulator to 50psi for now.

Back on the Awnings......

I decided to make some brackets that will adhere to the body with VHB tape and bolt to the awning brackets. These should keep the awning nice and stable while still letting the awning be easily removed.

While I was working on the engine my father started fabricating the brackets. I know...the garage is thrashed right now :-)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02197

Front stainless steel backing brackets ready to go and holes drilled in the Fiamma brackets. I will PC these black before installing them on the bus.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02199

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02200

I will install these with stainless lock nuts and use a rubber cap to hide the exposed threads and clean up the look a bit.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02212

For the rears we needed to make them shaped a little differently. The back panel tapers away from the mount so the mount will only be resting on the forward portion of the panel. If we used a straight piece like we did on the front that would leave very little area for the VHB tape to bond to...so we made a custom shape to match the area and give us more surface contact.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02220

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02223

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02232

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02226

Now to get the brackets powder coated and find some VHB tape tomorrow :-)

So at this point I was about 5 minutes away from doing the test start on the engine....when work called and I had to head out to fix a gas turbine what was in malfunction. That took 7hrs out of the day :-( BUT...once back home I was ready to test start this baby!

So before my father, uncle and buddy mike arrived for the test start I decided to bump it over once. Turned the key and.....Nothing! Well that's weird, the starter solenoid was clicking like I had a dead battery but I just charged both batts last week. Out comes the DVM and the testing begins. Getting good voltage to the starter with no drop when the key is turned, getting good voltage to the starter solenoid....Hmmmmm hope this isn't a harness problem or? VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 628688 That's when my Uncle says...wonder if it is getting a good ground...DOHHHH!VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 423485 As soon as he said that I remember thinking to myself yesterday "I need to hook up the engine and trans grounds still"...yep, no grounds are hooked up! Since everyone is here and waiting I used a jumper cable from the negative terminal on the batt and ground directly to the engine. Ok now we are ready!

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02198

I disconnected the harness at the coil pack so the engine wouldn't start and turned it over with the starter until the oil pressure light went out...Ok oil pump is primed. On a side note the TDI starter REALLY spins this engine over fast...WOW!

Hooked the coil pack back up and my father hit the starter....started instantly and sounded great! VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 778284

It's a little loud without the 90 deg elbow on the muffler since the exhaust is blowing up under the fender well and changes the tone, once the 90 is installed it's a lot quieter (same thing when we first started Mikes 2.5L conversion without the 90 installed).

And the first start video.

More progress soon!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/15/2013, 8:29 pm

Ok...THROTTLE CABLES.....

I'll run through my throttle cable saga so far to help others decide on what options will be best for their conversions.

Rocky Mountain Westy Kit:

My first plan was to use the RMW throttle cable kit, I like that it places the throttle in the open area behind the passenger side tail light and leaves plenty of room for a custom intake ect on the left side. As typical with RMW stuff the quality is very nice.

I have a metal throttle arm and the RMW kit comes with a nice tig welded pivot to attach the cable to the throttle. The cable itself is a nice unit that has a quality feel to it. The cable is crimped on each end with metal threaded connections, not sure what it's lined with inside. The inner cable goes all the way to the front of the bus and the black rubber portion of the cable only replaces the rear portion of the stock cable, from where the factory cable splits under the back of the bus into the engine bay. The forward portion of the stock outer cable is re-used. The instructions provided with the kit are top notch and include lots of pictures to back up the directions.

BUT...I soon found my first problem. I originally sent my wiring harness to RMW to be converted but they had an issue with getting the ECU working so RMW sent my harness to Small Car Performance for the conversion. Well turns out the wiring for the throttle is to short to reach back into the spot where the RMW kit places the throttle.....Hmmmmm. I don't want to mess with splicing and extending the wiring, I just don't get a warm fuzzy feeling doing that on throttle wiring.

The location where the RMW kit places the throttle.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02267

And my harness for the throttle. The Red arrow is where the connector is currently sitting. If I re-route it I can get it over to where the Green arrow is pointing....still not close enough.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02269

And the RMW throttle kit.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02243

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02240

Tig Welded throttle attach point with set screw. I like this setup as it pivots nicely and you can adjust your pedal throw by sliding it up or down on the throttle arm.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02239

Hard to see in the package but it comes with a powdercoated bracket for the throttle that is ready to bolt on with the supplied hardware.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02244

SMALL CAR PERFORMANCE KIT:

So since the RMW kit didn't work with my short throttle wire I figured I would order the Small Car kit to match the harness that they made.

The SC kit replaces just the rear portion of the OEM cable just as the RMW kit does. The SC cable feels a lot lighter and more "plasticy" than the RMW cable. The ends are plastic instead of metal and the fitting to attach the rear portion of the cable to the body is plastic as well, the RMW unit has a metal bar to attach with. The cable is lined with a hard plastic feeling tube and uses a piece of rubber hose to attach the cable to the front OEM cable. The bracket to mount the throttle comes flat (you have to bend it into shape) and is bare metal (you'll need to paint or powder coat it). The hardware provided to attach the cable to the pedal assy is not near as nice as the RMW kit. No instructions are shipped with the kit, you can get them from the SC website but the instructions are very lacking to say the least.

But....now I found the second problem. I bent up the throttle bracket as per their internet instructions in my vise and went to test fit it to the engine. Nope, not even close. The bracket mounts onto the manifold but my manifold is wider and taller than the mount that was provided. I called SC and they said maybe their Automatic mount version would fit since it's taller and wider so they sent me the AT plate. Nope, it was still to short and narrow.

The SC Kit. (The throttle plate comes flat, I've already bent it into shape in this picture)

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02245

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02248

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02251

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02252

Hardware kit

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02254

MT Bracket

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02255

AT Bracket

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02256

And the MT bracket on my manifold.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Sc2-1

RJES Throttle Kit

So as I'm figuring out how I'm going to run the throttle my buddy Mike says he has a new RJES cable kit for a Non drive by wire subaru conversion. Ok lets check it out.

The RJES kit comes with a super heavy duty outer cable and thicker inner cable than either the RMW or SC units. A nice hardware package comes in the kit with a metal bracket to attach the cable to the body. This cable replaces the entire OEM cable, from the engine bay all the way to the front VW throttle assy. I really like this option as I wasn't to fond of re-using a 20+ year old cable. The kit comes with great instructions and the cable is super flexible. No throttle mount is included in this kit. Here are the specs on the cable from the RJES site:

* 2mm diameter multi strand stainless inner cable
* PTFE / Nylon composite liner for minimal friction / good wear characteristics
* Stainless steel outer - unique design which allows flexing around very tight radii without the section collapsing and increasing friction on the inner cable (outer diameter 7.8mm).
* Supplied over length to suit RHD / LHD, standard / reversed inlet manifolds, or repositioned throttle bodies - cut to length on installation
* 6mm and 8mm ‘barrel’ ends to suit different throttle cams
* M8 adjuster at one end of the outer for fine adjustment
* Same spec as used on the Lotus Elise and other mid engined cars such as GT40 replica’s, where the low friction and ability to bend around very tight radii without increasing friction / backlash make a difference. You can bend these cables around a 2” radius or tighter without increasing the friction at all, and with minimal backlash increase:

The RJES kit

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02258

Hardware Pack

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02260

Construction of the cable showing the PTFE liner and the stainless wound braiding.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02272

And......since I'm going to have to build a custom mounting bracket anyways for the Subaru throttle I will use the high quality RJES cable assy and fabricate a way to attach the cable to the round pedal stock of the drive by wire Subaru pedal. I now need to get the new cable installed and then fabricate the bracket. Plus since I will be leaving the area behind the tail light open it will allow me to utilize that space for extra batteries or ??

More to come soon.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/15/2013, 9:25 pm

Cool stuff. The throttle has got me interested. Never would have thought to run it like that. lurk
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/17/2013, 8:46 pm

Got a little bit of time to work on the bus after work tonight. Installed the RMW rear bumper/hitch. The fit and finish of the bumper is excellent!, typical RMW quality. Can't wait to get the tire carriers installed now.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Rearbumper

Had a couple ground straps made up from welding cable at a local battery store as well. They're super flexible and should provide a solid ground for the engine/trans.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Groundcables-1

More soon.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/18/2013, 11:27 am

Good Lord you're talented. VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 99711
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/19/2013, 7:23 pm

Powder coated the bottom brackets for the awning mounts. I left the bottoms bare stainless to give the tape something smooth to adhere to.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 PCBrackets

I called 3M and they told me to try their high adhesive Acrylic Plus tape so I picked up a roll at the local auto body supply store. Here the tape is applied to the brackets.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02278

I used a small punch to make a hole in the rubber end cover for the awning brackets. All set up and ready to mount.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02283

I cut and applied a layer of thick headlight/paint protection film to the rain gutters where the braces will be in contact with the body. This is good stuff and super strong/wear resistant, I've used it for years on dirt bikes to protect high wear areas. It's a good idea to round all edges so they won't start to peel up.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02298

Mounting the bracket assy.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02304

Close up of the brackets...Front.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02287

And rear...(No dents in the awning, that's a thumb print of anti seize :-)).

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02291

Passenger side mounted up

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02317

Drivers side.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02365

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02292

The brackets came out great, the whole assy is rock solid with absolutely no movement. :-)

With the awnings mounted up I turned my attention back to the rear carriers. It was a slow process installing the carriers. Everything had to be measured carefully, marked, drilled, debured, test assembled...disassembled, holes cleaned and painted, let them dry over night then assemble everything again. The racks mount through the body and have a long doubler plate that slides down in through the outside upper air intake. They open and close easily, are nice and solid when latched and have a pin that you can lock them open at a couple different angles. After having them stored for almost a year it's nice to finally see them on the bus :-).

Fit was really good on all the parts. I'm running the fold down rack on the drivers side and a spare tire on the passenger side.

Nice tight fit to the body.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02342

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02345

The latch uses a door striker assy. Works perfectly, just push the button to release. The other lever is the lock. Quick and a positive latch.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02347

Tray folded up...

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02352-1

And dropped down. This will be perfect for carrying the Honda EU1000I Generator.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02354

WOW....the garage mess has gotten WAY out of hand. That will be project number 1 in the am :-).

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02356

While I was working on the awnings my father fabricated the mount for the Subaru throttle. After thinking a bit on where to place it we got a game plan and went with it. We made it from stainless plate and left enough room on the throttle tab to ad a cruise control cable in the future.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02328

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02326

Throttle will mount in like this.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02336

Picture of the rear window sticker I cut a while back

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02360

Getting there...starting to look completed now. Won't be long! I really wish I would have went with the 10' awnings instead of the 8" units though....might end up selling these down the road and going to the 10' units.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02367

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/21/2013, 7:01 pm

Installed the drivers side axle assy, also installed the speed sensor on the axle and wired it into the harness. Adjusted the brakes on the drivers side and installed the grounds on each side of the engine to the frame, the welding cable will allow for plenty of flex.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02425

The RMW speed sensor. It's basically just a hall effect sensor that counts the teeth on the ring mounted to the CV then feeds the pulses to the ECU so it knows how fast the vehicle is traveling. The RMW unit is well thought out with a heavy duty powder coated bracket and easy gap adjustment via the jam nuts on the sensor itself. VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 5543 Other units available on the market require you to just bend the tab to set gap...VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 682341

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC00080

Ran the RJES throttle cable, wired the radiator fan and installed the powder coated spare tire carrier. I'll eventually fabricate a custom storage unit that will take the place of the tire carrier but for now this fills the spot.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02428

Throttle setup. The throttle seems to work really good set up like this, The clamp holding the ball end on the throttle arm is temporary...once I confirm proper placement of the joint I will remove the arm and weld on a tab for the ball end to bolt to.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02415

Getting really close to the test drive now :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/22/2013, 7:25 pm

Had a few minutes after work to do something on the bus...thought I would modify the Tach so it will work with the Subaru engine. The original engine uses a different signal to the Tach than the Subaru so the Tach won't work without a couple modifications.

First up...remove the instrument cluster.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02441

Then carefully remove the Tach assy.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02443

This is what were after...the circuit board on the back of the Tach. To make the Tach work with the Subaru you need to remove the 3.32K Resistor out of the circuit and then replace the 1K resistor with a 1/2 Watt 220K Resistor.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02445

Parts removed and ready to solder in the new resistor.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02446

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02448

And the new resistor soldered in place.

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02450

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 DSC02452

Now it's just re-assembly time and you have a working Tach.

The instrument cluster is made from a plastic that gets very brittle with age, even though I was careful there were several small areas that had formed cracks around the screws. I repaired the cracks with a two part plastic epoxy and will let it cure for 24hrs before re-assembling the dash.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/22/2013, 8:34 pm

Interesting!
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime4/24/2013, 6:48 pm

Tach re-installed and working :-)

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics   VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

VW Syncro Westfalia - Build Log with Pics
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next