PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Summer ride

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Numa_cruiser

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime3/23/2014, 7:48 pm

Hey there, I'm heading to Leavenworth this summer for the first week in August. I've never ridden in Washington before so am looking for some info. I'd like to do a day or two of single track riding if possible. Ridge rides would be especially great. Any info that you can share regarding regulations for the bike, (it's not street legal) suggestions on where to get maps, fees id need to pay etc would be great. Is there a sticker I need to buy? Do I need liability coverage? Is there a difference in the regulations or identification of forest service/fire roads? Etc etc.

I'm from Squamish BC where we have crazy steep, rooty and muddy technical trails. It would be awesome to experience some single track in a completely different environment. If someone feels they would like to show me around a bit, I would be more than happy to return the favour some day, as well as buy the post ride beers! 

I'm an intermediate rider and like a tough challenge so am looking for more than fire road exploring but not the toughest trials trails either.

Thanks for reading!
-Andrew
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime3/23/2014, 8:36 pm

I'm thinking Mad River area would be good for you?  Not from that area and don't know my way around but I'd start there.  Someone else hopefully will chime in.
Back to top Go down
dhally

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime3/24/2014, 9:40 am

Many of the trails above Leavenworth ARE pretty technical.  There is one trail loop up by Lake Wenatchee (west of Leavenworth) called Chiwawa (I think) that is more intermediate.  It might tie into the Mad River system as well.   I think you have to go back through Wenatchee to get to the Mad River trailheads.  They are north of Wenatchee off the Columbia River.

There are some trails to the east and west of Highway 97, south of Leavenworth.  I've been on Tronson Ridge trail on the east side of the highway.  It's fun but no real loops to be had.  

These trail systems are "official" offroad vehicle trail systems.  If you stay on the trails you don't need a street license, but you do need a state ORV sticker.   The ORV stickers are sold by state licensing agencies and should be available by mail.  Not sure how that works with a Canadian bike.  You're not supposed to ride the dirt roads unless you are licensed.  There are law enforcement people around the trail systems on summer weekends and they do write tickets.

In general, the area right around Leavenworth is not very dirt bike friendly.  It is more of a tourist town, with hiking, mountain biking, rock climbing, whitewater rafting, etc., being popular.  Also lots of pirates on loud bikes.

Check out THIS link - select "Wenatchee/Okanagen National Forest". It's got the scoop.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime3/24/2014, 2:10 pm

Hmmm...If the Chawawa (whateverthehellit'scalled) is the loop i'm thinking of...first part is wooped out 5miles.  After that it is simply GORGEOUS riding!  Haven't ridden it it 3years or so.  I'd rate it as easy with a couple of intermediate spots thrown in.  FUN-FUN.
Back to top Go down
Numa_cruiser

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime3/25/2014, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I found my way to some really helpful maps and even watched a few videos on YouTube of different rides in the area. I'll posts again closer to the date and maybe someone will want to get out for a ride and some beers.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime5/19/2014, 5:03 pm

McNutt rider? That place is great. I can show you the local goods near Leavenworth... shoot me your contact info. Just make sure your BC stickers are up to date and you have a spark arrestor

This one is the Devil's Backbone, north of Leavenworth

Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Sponsored content

Summer ride Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summer ride   Summer ride Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Summer ride
Page 1 of 1