PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Clean the air filter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Clean the air filter Empty
PostSubject: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime8/22/2009, 4:42 pm

Just cleaned mine. OMG was it dirty. Couldn't even tell what color it was supposed to be. I went to the MC store to get some oil for it. Wasn't too impressed with the stuff. Was hoping it would be more viscous to soak in to the foam. Looked very tacky. Massaged it in like you are supposed to, hopefully it does the job.

The air box was pretty nasty too. Has a drain that is covered. Guess I now know that if I dunk the bike, will have to manually drain any water that gets caught in the box.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 8:07 pm

Inspector wrote:
Just cleaned mine. OMG was it dirty. Couldn't even tell what color it was supposed to be. I went to the MC store to get some oil for it. Wasn't too impressed with the stuff. Was hoping it would be more viscous to soak in to the foam. Looked very tacky. Massaged it in like you are supposed to, hopefully it does the job.

I've always had good luck with No-Toil products. I bought a air filter cleaning "kit" from my local shop once that had the No-Toil brand name at the bottom of the bottles. Turns out it was No-Toil products in Honda packaging. Been using the stuff ever since.

The products have the powder cleaning agent you mix with water and soak the old filter, the "oil" and a tube of white lithium grease looking stuff to seal the airbox edges.

The "oil" was kind of wierd the first time I ever used it, I thought it was supposed to be "viscous" as you said above. As it turns out, the first few times I cleaned my filter and the spare, I wasted a lot of oil from saturating the filters without squeezing out the excess.

When you first put the oil on, it has additives to keep it fluid until it comes into contact with air. You put it on, sqeeze out the excess and it will evaporate into the tacky stuff we're used to getting. Too much is a bad thing in this case and the bike will suck out any excess into a gooey mess inside the airbox.

Anyway, check out the No-Toil videos, I think this is a great product. http://www.notoil.com/

griz Clean the air filter 241248
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 8:13 pm

Cool, I will check it out. I think I used the K&N cleaner I have in a kit for the car on the bike filter. The more I think about it, the more this is probably a big no-no. Car filter is paper and the bike filter is foam.

I haven't checked it since I cleaned it that first time. peepwall
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 8:22 pm

Inspector wrote:
I haven't checked it since I cleaned it that first time. peepwall

Yep, I know what you mean... LOL Clean the air filter 675814
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 8:24 pm

Bel-Ray FFT is great. Goes on like oil but sets up to a tacky mess, never had any problems running it. Inspector for all the water crossings you do, make sure to apply some water proof grease to the sealing edge of your filter. Keeps even more water out. Clean the air filter 5543
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 8:27 pm

That right there is a good idea!

*I'm trying to tone the water down a bit. rumor has it the wr250 does not handle water well.
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime2/4/2010, 8:29 pm

It will do fine as long as you filter is nice and sealed. Make sure the airbox/ carb boots are tight. Should be good to go!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clean the air filter   Clean the air filter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clean the air filter
Page 1 of 1