PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube

Go down 
+4
sourdough
tree farmer
Buck Nasty
toothy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
toothy

toothy

The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Empty
PostSubject: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime1/4/2009, 6:52 pm

I put a michelin heavy doody tube on the rear rim of the DRZ, and I've solved my flat tire problems. I would get a nail from my gravel alley about once a month, maybe it's luck I don't know.

But the weird thing is the pressure gague is very slow to record the air presure. It's weird.
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

Bike : '04 DRZ400, '00 CR250R

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime1/6/2009, 12:58 am

Odd. Pressure is pressure, right? Ya figure the valve would be the same as all other tubes too.

scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.benddualsport.com
tree farmer

tree farmer

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime1/11/2009, 4:30 pm

toothy wrote:
I put a michelin heavy doody tube on the rear rim of the DRZ, and I've solved my flat tire problems. I would get a nail from my gravel alley about once a month, maybe it's luck I don't know.

But the weird thing is the pressure gague is very slow to record the air presure. It's weird.
thumb + 1 on heavy tubes. I don't like fixing flats at home or elsewhere. An added benefit to heavy duty is they are harder to pinch than standard tubes. I have them in my '06 KLR650 and '82 XL250R. I know I shouldn't say this, but no flats in 20+ years. nest Maybe the heavies use a different core in the stem, as my gauge works weird on them too. Just thought it was wearing out....Dan.
Back to top Go down
sourdough

sourdough

Bike : xl350r

PostSubject: heavy duty   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime8/19/2009, 6:29 am

Just replaced 25 yr old rotted tires on my new to me xl350r. Front tube must have been changed at some time and it was basically a tube inside a tube. It was like a tire liner I guess you could say. The outside tube had the rim area striped out, about a 3" strip including of course the valve. Must have been the trick before H.D. tubes. Anyway, I replaced the tubes with HD tubes and slimed them for good measure. thumb
Back to top Go down
ol guy

ol guy

Bike : 06- KLX 351

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime8/19/2009, 5:23 pm

toothy wrote:

Did you add any flat proofing like slime in the new tube? If you did that will make pressure checking hard at times.
Back to top Go down
75monza

75monza

Bike : 2006 KTM 950 Adventure

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 11:33 am

You guys ever had any problems with the HD tubes? My dad had a problem with his 950 KTM with the HD tubes melting to the inside of the tire. We had to actually peel them out twice and both times they had the tread pattern of the tires burned/melted into them.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 2:18 pm

Had that happen to some bicycle tires I just change out last week. Thought I was going to rip the tubes as I was yanking them out. They weren't any HD tubes either.

*my guess is it wouldn't have mattered what tubes you had in there....don't know why that happened thou.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 3:06 pm

The best way to keep this from happening is using plenty of baby powder when you install your tubes. I am running an HD tube on the rear, it could be a tire unto itself if it had some tread. I think what happens is the tire lube that is often used, when it dries, causes a mechanical bond, like glue, and makes it near impossible to remove without tearing the tube. Just use judicious amounts of talcum powder when you do the change. I don't think it being an HD tube has anything to do with it.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:09 pm

That was my guess too, but have always and only used powder so wasn't sure.

*i never have baby powder on hand but do have monkey butt powder. bwahahaha...my ultra-HD is medicated.
Back to top Go down
75monza

75monza

Bike : 2006 KTM 950 Adventure

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime11/30/2010, 4:58 pm

I grew up using baby powder in all my tubes. My downhill friends even give me a hard time about it because I put it in all my bicycle tires too.

I don't know. Maybe my dad didn't put enough in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube   The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The pros and cons of a heavy duty tube
Page 1 of 1