PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Fixen sh!t

Go down 
+7
hugemoth
Hodakaguy
big jer
Backwoods Boogie
MortimerSickle
TheFlying"W"
Inspector
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime10/29/2009, 7:10 pm

Well I been breaking stuff left and right and I have absolutely $0.00 to spend on the girl. So i figured I would take the hammer to her and see if I couldn't straighten some things out.
The biggest thing was to make the bike street legal again. My mud flap/turn signal/license plate bracket broke again. The first time I fixed it with just some good 2part 90min epoxy. Worked for a couple of months but never really bonded with the plastic. This time I decided to put some wire in it. Hopefully it will act like rebar does in concrete? Anyway, got a drill with the smallest bit I could find, drilled some holes. Next some small gauge multi-strand wire, and sewed it up.

Fixen sh!t 002-3

Fixen sh!t 003-3

Fixen sh!t 004-2

I know I should have scuffed it up really good before the wire, but I was impatient and running out of time. I'll go back tomorrow and scuff it up before I apply the same kind of epoxy I used before. There is better stuff out there, but this stuff is free.

*I was having so much fun, even broke out the soldering iron for the ends. No I don't think this will actually last very long, but hey, had a blast doing it.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 11:05 am

Good work! Looks good, and should actually hold for quite a while. I have done the same thing with other parts before, and barring a major impact to that part again, it should stay together. I have actually used the wire method, and finished with black silicone to help hide the work. Good luck with it.
Back to top Go down
MortimerSickle

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 3:53 pm

That just might hold forever.

It kind of reminds me of Frankenfender, the back fender on my XR. The PO had torn the fender, and fixed it by drilling a series of holes on each of the tear, and zip-tying it back together. I don't know how long he rode it like that, but I have had the bike for five years, and it is still holding fine.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 7:07 pm

I mixed up some different kind of epoxy to put over it today. It was like honey and it stays that way for hours. Had the stuff running all over, lol. To make it worse the big boss came to find me cause he had a broken door right in the middle of the process. Had to leave it just sitting, dripping.

We'll see how it turns out. Will probably have to put a second coat on. The cool thing is......It's clear!

*I honestly don't think it will last. Just too much strain on it. I also like to drop the bike on rocks in that exact spot for some reason. LOL
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime10/30/2009, 8:46 pm

Just break the other side to match........Fixen sh!t 392435

Fixen sh!t 508313........................................Fixen sh!t 36202
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: fixen shit   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime10/31/2009, 5:37 pm

i think those repair scars add a bit of charicter my self. i dropped my 94 xr in the shop one day [godamn kickstand spring] had my helmet sittin on the floor and it drove shifter through the side of engine, good thing i own a tig welder. told my ridin buds i had a hell of a crash and was lucky to be alive. ha ha ha none of um belived me though, looks like your an old pro at haywiring shit back together, just beat it to fit and paint it to match!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/9/2011, 8:32 pm

All the cool kids are rocking the new style. I decided to try it too.
Fixen sh!t DSCF1601
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 4:06 am

That's the same stitching method that I used for snowmobile windshields. Works great. If your out on the trail and something plastic breaks use your knife to drill some holes and some snap ties to stitch it back together again. These kind of repairs usually hold up really well.

Looks good thumb

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
hugemoth

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 4:12 am

Rather than drill or cut holes in plastic I just heat a piece of wire or other metal of the right diameter then melt the holes.

Q
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 6:33 am

Your gonna make that WR into a dirtbike yet Inspector big I look forward to going out and testing that fix soon wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 2:01 pm

i have used the zip tie method several times, never uesed epoxy, if it broke again, usualy it was just the tie and all you had to do is restitch it. ( zip tie's around work are easyer to find then wire )
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 7:20 pm

Fixen sh!t Naches020

Heck, Chris6_85 uses a hatchet to work on his bike! big
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime1/10/2011, 8:57 pm

man that was a fun weekend i think we need to have more then one weekend of riding there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fixen sh!t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fixen sh!t   Fixen sh!t Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fixen sh!t
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: General Bike Discussion-
Jump to: