PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

ghost towns and old farmsteads

Go down 
+4
Shane
TheFlying"W"
Hodakaguy
hoffnasty
8 posters
AuthorMessage
hoffnasty

hoffnasty

Bike : 09 klr 650

ghost towns and old farmsteads Empty
PostSubject: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/10/2010, 10:52 pm

Is anyone interested in exploring old abandoned homesteads or ghost towns? I have found quite a few around grant county that aren't desroyed yet from vandalism. Some of them require driving through a field or canyon. And does anyone know of any others anywhere else. When I was in grade school my aunt and uncle lived in horseheaven and there was a old ghost town out there somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 3:57 am

I love that stuff ghost towns and old farmsteads 5543 That's my favorite part or adventure trips. Check out the ride report link in my signature line below, lots of abandoned stuff in there.

I'd love to check out the stuff up your way some day, might be a cool group day ride?

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 9:21 am

Yeah hoffnasty, you've done it now. You now must plan a group ride in your area so we can all show up and ride your favorite areas. I am definitely in, I love old buildings.
Back to top Go down
hoffnasty

hoffnasty

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 10:39 am

there is one between moses lake and ritzville that has two concrete wells, one is full of water. my kids wouldn't even get out of the truck they said it looked like the place where the "RING" was filmed. And of course an old cellar with old jars in it. I will try to coordinate a round trip ghost tour, but bear with me I suck at organizing a ride.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 1:17 pm

ghost towns and old farmsteads 782732
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 2:50 pm

I'm in...........

lurk
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/11/2010, 7:06 pm

Sounds cool!
Back to top Go down
Hemmi101

Bike : Kawasaki KLR 650, Yamaha xt225, triumph bonneville

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 6:56 pm

The back road/ghost farm ride sounds particularly good. I plan to ride the Waterville plateau this summer on the klr. I have spent a good deal of time driving around up there in search of antique stationary engines (my other hobby.) There are numerous abandoned buildings and the towns up there aren't too far removed from ghost towns. (Withrow, etc) the riding is pretty much roads and gravel however.

Also there are little towns over beynd Ritzville like Ralson Benge Lamont and etc which aren't abandoned but are generally pretty dried up and therefore interesting, at least to me. Would be good for a summer ride. Not exciting enough for cold weather however.

Hoffnasty's idea sounds like a good one. Will make it if I can. -Hemmi
Back to top Go down
hoffnasty

hoffnasty

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:10 pm

Hemmi, did you see (off highway 2) just past waterville, there is an old farmstead on the left that still has furniture inside. While rooting through stuff with my cruiser buddies I found an antique lawnmower that was in excellent shape. I tucked  it in one of the barns hoping to pick it up someday, it still had enough spark that I tricked one of my non-mechanically inclined  buddies to hold the spark plug while I turned it over. I also love that little winding canyon you ride up before waterville.
Back to top Go down
Hemmi101

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/12/2010, 8:32 pm

"there is an old farmstead on the left "

Not sure of that one hoffnasty but there are lots of abandoned buildings around up there, both relatively recent and old. The more recent ones are due to declining farm population and larger farms.

By "winding canyon" I don't know if you mean the Waterville hill, which is grand if you have a few extra horsepower to pull it, or else douglas creek area (just west of the little town of douglas.) East of douglas , if you turn north at Farmer (an ex town) you will come to Withrow which isn't completely abandoned but which has lots of vacant buildings. no businesses are left as far as i know.
Lots of dirt roads, from douglas down to palisades , near the columbia. Pretty interesting area to me as my family were farmers, both around there and in the Palouse.
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/13/2010, 10:41 pm

My Dad lived in two places that are now ghost towns. Ortley, Oregon is SW of The Dalles in the wheat fields. Albee, Oregon is north of Ukiah and is about gone now.

Shaniko, Oregon is right on Hwy 97 50 miles south of Biggs. East of there is Rashneeshpuram, which is a ghost town of a different sort.
Back to top Go down
Hemmi101

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime2/14/2010, 6:39 am

dhally,
I rode thru Shaniko and Antelope (Rajneesh) during the height of the rajneesh commune episode in the 80's. Had a fruit smoothie at the Antelope cafe, (at that time renamed Zorba the Budda/ a vegetarian restaurant with lots of good beer..) The old commune site now is alive with Jesus youth.

Shaniko is sort of alive again but worth seeing for its neat old Hotel and other buildings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ghost towns and old farmsteads   ghost towns and old farmsteads Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ghost towns and old farmsteads
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PNWDS - PNWDualSport :: Main :: Off Topic-
Jump to: