PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Misc cool engine pics...

Go down 
+4
TheFlying"W"
griz901
Backwoods Boogie
Hodakaguy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Misc cool engine pics... Empty
PostSubject: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 4:01 am

just surfin the web this am before work....pics Stolen from ADVrider Misc cool engine pics... 675814

Misc cool engine pics... Jeffsboat2

Radial Diesel.

Misc cool engine pics... Radial

Misc cool engine pics... Ptfengcutaway

Misc cool engine pics... Pic_13

Cummings Diesel

Misc cool engine pics... 771029412_TBzAr-X3

Honda Motorcycle Piston

Misc cool engine pics... Pho_02

Bike with above piston

Misc cool engine pics... Nr750

Misc cool engine pics... 491283222_8inEq-L

Above engine

Misc cool engine pics... 491283145_R6bpR-L

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 10:28 am

Good stuff..... thumb

Here's a slew of those radial Nordbergs (80 of them) powering the smelters at an old Kaiser Aluminum plant.

Misc cool engine pics... NordbergInf8
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 5:27 pm

Thanks Backwoods Boggie. A quick google search brought some more pics. Very cool

Nordberg vertical shaft Radial Diesel....very cool. 1875hp.

Misc cool engine pics... Radial

220 of these! Misc cool engine pics... EekersMisc cool engine pics... EekersMisc cool engine pics... Eekers
Man...the main crew that would be needed to maintain them. I'd like to
see the size of the fuel lines coming into the building and the fuel
storage outside. Yikes!

Misc cool engine pics... Nordberg052

Another Nordberg Diesel.

Misc cool engine pics... Nordberg0515

More Nordberg engines....Look at the people standing up on top.

Misc cool engine pics... NordbergInf3

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Amazing!   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 6:24 pm

Misc cool engine pics... 816935 (no words to express the wow factor) Misc cool engine pics... 702669

I had never seen an opposed-piston engine before. I had to look it up and was surprised to see it was a common US Navy submarine power plant. Learn somethin' new every day.

This one has a pretty cool history too! (Google "honda nr) I'm putting this one in my next winter's reading...
Misc cool engine pics... Ovalpi10

Last edited by griz901 on 2/15/2010, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ******learned somethin' else new******)
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 6:37 pm

Worlds largest diesel.

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today. The Aioi Works of Japan's Diesel United, Ltd built the first engines and is where some of these pictures were taken. It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them.
The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.
Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:

Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)

Length: 89 feet

Height: 44 feet

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm

Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm
Fuel consumption at maximum power is 0.278 lbs per hp per hour (Brake Specific Fuel Consumption). Fuel consumption at maximum economy is 0.260 lbs/hp/hour. At maximum economy the engine exceeds 50% thermal efficiency. That is, more than 50% of the energy in the fuel in converted to motion.
For comparison, most automotive and small aircraft engines have BSFC figures in the 0.40-0.60 lbs/hp/hr range and 25-30% thermal efficiency range.
Even at its most efficient power setting, the big 14 consumes 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.

Misc cool engine pics... Cross-section

Misc cool engine pics... Rta96c_crank

Misc cool engine pics... Rta96c

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 6:41 pm

Check out this double acting diesel in Copenhagen. It was/is used for power generation. Double acting engines are pretty wild, it utilizes combustion chambers both on top and under the piston so it generates power on both the up stroke and the down stroke.

This is a great video, shows the start up and running of the engine.

Very Cool!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 6:42 pm

Worlds largest working steam engine...

3000hp.

The complexity of these early steam engines were mind blowing. The
valve trains and maintaining timing took highly specialized skills.

Sooooo Cool!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 8:27 pm

On the other side of the size spectrum, is the venerable Wankle rotary engine

Misc cool engine pics... RotaryEngine

It went in several different vehicles, but the most recent is one of these;
Misc cool engine pics... 1127125368178892.JPG?0

That is a 2005 RX8 Shinka, Special Edition. There were only 1356 of those imported into the US in the one year of production of that vehicle. I had #989 I think. I LOVED that car, but had some financial issues and sold it. Of course, a couple months later, everything was good, but the car was already gone so... move on. Man I miss that car!!!
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: misc cool engine pics   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/15/2010, 9:25 pm

ya those are way cool engines !! size does matter. LOL now flyin ''w'' an his wankle, ha i had a wankle motor in a early 70's arctic cat snowmobile, what a piece a shit!!! now if you want to see a cool engine take a look at my 1948 ford 59ab highly modified flathead ford v8. it has alum. heads, alum. intake, duel chrome plated stronberg ''97'' carbs, a iskadarian cam. stock they were 100 hp, mine makes about a whoppin 150.[just 50 more than my 990 LOL.] in it's day she was one of the fastest around, now it just comes out for parades an car shows.Misc cool engine pics... Dscn0028
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 3:51 am

TheFlying"W" wrote:

Delorean wanted to use the Mazda rotary in his car but the deal fell apart as the car was getting closer to reality, so it ended up having the Volvo V6 instead as he scrambled to find something that would fit. Would have been a fun car if it would have ended up with the rotary!

I spent two weeks years ago at Ingersol Rand in NY taking some training classes, I asked them if they had ever tried to make an industrial Wankle engine and they said yes! They had built two large wankle engines as test beds and hooked them both to generator units to power their 26 acres of machine shops! Misc cool engine pics... 176530
In the beginning they were having a lot of the same problems that Mazda was having, trying to keep the seals from blowing/melting out. He said about the time they had figured out the seal problem the company pulled the funding on the project and both units were scrapped. Misc cool engine pics... 81467 . You can still see their exhaust stacks outside of the building, the guy said the stacks glowed white since they ran so hot and looked like giant light bulbs at night.....Would have been neat to see them in action.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 3:53 am

big jer wrote:
Misc cool engine pics... Dscn0028

Nice looking engine Misc cool engine pics... 5543 What is that little red device installed inline in the brake line? Filter? Check or proportioning valve?

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: misc cool engine pics   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 6:38 pm

it's a check valve that holds 10lbs residiule pressure. the master cylinder is off of a ford ranger, which has disc brakes. the brakes on the hot rod are about 1940 which are drum. the return spring for the shoes will calapse the wheel cylinders enough that it returns almost all of the fliud to the resivour, which causes a very spungy pedel, unless the shoes are adjuster up very tight. disc brakes only require about 2 lbs residule pressure. if i had known all of this before i hand polished the master cylinder and made all new lines, and spent countless hours trying to get the brakes bled i would have just probably bought a kit that bolted right on in about 10 minites LOL. but theres just something about doin things the extra hard and expensive way that gives a guy real satisfaction when ya finally get it right!
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 8:02 pm

TheFlying"W" wrote:

That is a 2005 RX8 Shinka, Special Edition. There were only 1356 of those imported into the US in the one year of production of that vehicle. I had #989 I think. I LOVED that car, but had some financial issues and sold it. Of course, a couple months later, everything was good, but the car was already gone so... move on. Man I miss that car!!!

Misc cool engine pics... 6229 OK, THESE CARS PISS ME OF ! and will drive me to drink Misc cool engine pics... 589118 . the # 1 problem with the rotary motors is not many people know how to drive one,these things like to run hard, and most people drive them as a grocery getter. they also use engine oil to lube the apex seals and people dont know that they will run out of oil, great you had to bring these things into this great forum. Misc cool engine pics... 423485 being a mazda tech i am not a fan of the wankle motor, just worked on a 81' that some young gall just reserected from its grave, ( were it was probably perfectly happy) ok i am going to another thread were i can be happy.............. Misc cool engine pics... 294495

ok, i think i am done now Misc cool engine pics... 471708i am also a subaru tech if anyone needs some work done. ( the STI impreza ROCKS ) but no pics
Back to top Go down
MortimerSickle

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/16/2010, 10:38 pm

Thumper with a capital T.

Misc cool engine pics... 86324660_7cV3E-L

About a zillion more engines, and tractors: http://kensan.smugmug.com/Machines/Steam-Up-2006-1/1744679_pPk3a#86312757_hGdVp
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/18/2010, 9:59 am

Shane wrote:

ok, i think i am done now Misc cool engine pics... 471708i am also a subaru tech if anyone needs some work done. ( the STI impreza ROCKS ) but no pics

1995 Subaru Legacy 2.2, runs perfect but looking at the engine compartment from the front with hood open, making random clicky, dry bearing metal rubbing noises from right side down by lower A/C pulley. Put a rod on it and listened but need to take off timing belt covers to isolate which bearing set is making a racket.

Just thought I'd take your mind off the wenkel - oops! LOL Misc cool engine pics... 624421
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/18/2010, 10:34 am

hey grizz, the a/c idler pulley can make that noise. to isolate it take the a/c belt off and see if it is still there. if it is, i would have to guess it is the water pump, and it is driven by the timing belt. bad things can happen if it siezes up. those are the 2 most commen growling noises subaru has in that area. whats the milage on that motor. Also check all idlers when t-belt is off, replace crank and cam seals while you are there. that 2.2 liter is the best motor subaru built, if taken care of, will go forever. Misc cool engine pics... 541814

Shoot me any other guestions

Shane
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/18/2010, 11:23 am

Shane wrote:
hey grizz, the a/c idler pulley can make that noise. to isolate it take the a/c belt off and see if it is still there. if it is, i would have to guess it is the water pump, and it is driven by the timing belt. bad things can happen if it siezes up. those are the 2 most commen growling noises subaru has in that area. whats the milage on that motor. Also check all idlers when t-belt is off, replace crank and cam seals while you are there. that 2.2 liter is the best motor subaru built, if taken care of, will go forever. Misc cool engine pics... 541814

Shane

Sweet! I'm just getting ready to go TDC and pull the crank pulley and center cover off. The A/C idler and A/C clutch sound and feels good. After taking the right TB cover off and putting a rod to some stuff I'm thinking either the water pump or timing idler. It looks like the timing belt was the only thing never changed during routine maintenance so I'll change it while I'm in there.

Oh, 77k AWD from original owner in California, retired gentleman. Car had just been hauled to Montana for resale, we picked it up before it got detailed and I never saw a used car undercarriage that still looked like showroom with 70k on the ticker. Found a glove box of original oil change/maintenance receipts going back to 1998. New brakes and rotors all around too.

Put a right front CV into it (boot was broke and it snapped and popped a little pulling away) Changed ALL the fluids and intend to give it to my daughter after she gets her license in a couple months. Will be her first car. Air bags, ABS and bullet proof engine sold it for me.

Anyway, I better get back at it. Took the day off to order parts before Friday if I need them. Looks like I'll need them..... Cam seals, crank seals (back one is leaking I think)....

griz
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: The un-hijack post   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/18/2010, 11:56 am

Engine picture, otherwise known as the "un-hijack" thread post

Misc cool engine pics... Img_0526
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/18/2010, 1:30 pm

hey grizz, get factory parts where possible, it does make a diffrence. Misc cool engine pics... 5543 the plug on the back of the right head is what we call a blind plug and it will use a o-ring. also they can leak at the back of the block between engine and trans and it will look like a rear main leaking but it is a plastic plate that covers a breather passage, some people mistake it for a oil pan leak, check there also. subaru made that motor from 1990 - 1999. other than minor stuff, regular maintenance, and oil leaks, they are good little cars. great first cars for daughters.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 8:24 pm

Does my engine count?

*i haven't run it since i was a kid

Misc cool engine pics... DSCF1071
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Yes   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 8:31 pm

Inspector wrote:
Does my engine count?*i haven't run it since i was a kid

Misc cool engine pics... 541814 How cool is that! I wish I could find something like that for my son's keepsake chest. I got him started on erector sets three years ago, but kids toys just aren't as cool as what you have there...
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime2/20/2010, 8:50 pm

thats awsome !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Misc cool engine pics...   Misc cool engine pics... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Misc cool engine pics...
Page 1 of 1