PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lube your suspension!

Go down 
+2
Hodakaguy
TheFlying"W"
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

Lube your suspension! Empty
PostSubject: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:11 pm

I decided after the rather wet ride last week that I would go through the lower bearings on the bike today. After a bit of a struggle, I got the linkage pulled out, and lo and behold, one set of the bearings was rusted. Grrrrr! I had greased these bearings just a couple of months ago at the beginning of the year, but all that water we ran through in Oregon obviously got in there, and because I did not get on it right away, they rusted up almost solid. So, the moral to this story is, don't put of your maintenance like I did. I will post pics tomorrow, as I left my camera at home today.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:16 pm

TheFlying"W" wrote:
I decided after the rather wet ride last week that I would go through the lower bearings on the bike today. After a bit of a struggle, I got the linkage pulled out, and lo and behold, one set of the bearings was rusted. Grrrrr! I had greased these bearings just a couple of months ago at the beginning of the year, but all that water we ran through in Oregon obviously got in there, and because I did not get on it right away, they rusted up almost solid. So, the moral to this story is, don't put of your maintenance like I did. I will post pics tomorrow, as I left my camera at home today.

Wow, are your seals in good cond? Shouldn't have got water in from just trail riding. Do you pressure wash your bike? I've seen water get pushed into seals from high pressure water.

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:24 pm

I do pressure wash, but I haven't ever gotten that radical with hitting any of the bearing areas. I am sure these are the original bearings and seals. They just didn't look that bad when I serviced them a couple months ago. I guess the seals were gone, I just didn't notice. Anyway, new set of seals and bearings are rushing there way here, should have them on Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:27 pm

TheFlying"W" wrote:
I do pressure wash, but I haven't ever gotten that radical with hitting any of the bearing areas. I am sure these are the original bearings and seals. They just didn't look that bad when I serviced them a couple months ago. I guess the seals were gone, I just didn't notice. Anyway, new set of seals and bearings are rushing there way here, should have them on Thursday.

Sweet on the new bearings. Yeah it's amazing how water will get into seals ect with pressure washing. I will only hand wash my bike with a garden hose (no nozzle) to keep water out of where it shouldn't be.

I just installed new wheel bearings and seals myself, preventative maint is good Lube your suspension! 5543

Have a blast on your guys ride this weekend, wish I could make it Lube your suspension! 81467

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:32 pm

Gonna miss you representing the Kennewick contingent, but you gotta get ready for your big excursion. Hows that going anyway?
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:41 pm

TheFlying"W" wrote:
Gonna miss you representing the Kennewick contingent, but you gotta get ready for your big excursion. Hows that going anyway?

Just about finished. Got a HUGE list of items completed on the bike. Almost finished...Lube the chain, re-pack everything as tight as I can get it....and it's ready to go. Lube your suspension! 5543 1800 Miles of Pure Desert Fun...Can't wait!

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 7:45 pm

Really looking forward to your great ride report and video/pictures of the adventure.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:24 pm

Yeah, and don't pay someone else to do it. %$^%^

*someone needs to have a "tech day" later this year. I need brakes and radiator done. big
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:30 pm

Inspector wrote:
Yeah, and don't pay someone else to do it. %$^%^

*someone needs to have a "tech day" later this year. I need brakes and radiator done. big

Thats a great idea. We had a tech day at my house a couple winters ago...had 3 KLR's in to do the DooHicky mods. It was a lot of fun. Lube your suspension! 5543

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:56 pm

oooooo...KLR dudes working on stuff scares me thou. haha

*reminds me of a story...did I ever post it over here? Unsure
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 9:43 pm

I would be happy to host a work day. I have a large shop that everybody can hang out in and get stuff done. Just gotta pick a day that works for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 7:37 am

Lube your suspension! 99711
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 9:48 am

Son of a bee-hive Lube your suspension! 6229

Thanks for the reminder! I've had my bike for three years, tore it down into bits and pieces but didn't pull the swing arm and forgot about it. Linkages, stem bearings, seals, linkages, everything - except the swing arm shaft.

I guess I need to make my own XRR swingarm tool or break down and buy one. Glad my bike was not a submarine in its previous owner life.
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/12/2010, 2:17 pm

I got the bearings and seals ordered yesterday, they should be here tomorrow by lunch so I can have them in and be ready for Sunday. I took a couple of pictures to show you guys how rotten they were.

The bearings on the left are supposed to look like the bearings on the right, but they do not. LOL
Lube your suspension! Swingarm2

And a general shot of the bike on the lift with its rear end removed.
Lube your suspension! Swingarm1
Back to top Go down
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 4:56 pm

Got everything back together this afternoon. I didn't take any pictures though, as I was elbow deep in grease and didn't want to foul my camera. Took it for a short ride around the business complex and it is good to go.
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 7:12 pm

Back in business. Lube your suspension! 541814
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/14/2010, 8:42 pm

Lube your suspension! Icon_scratch are those wheel bearings or swing arm bearings? glad you got it back together! ( I had faith in you)
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime5/15/2010, 5:43 am

Sweet...Good to go! Yep, looks like they needed to be changed Lube your suspension! 84165

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lube your suspension!   Lube your suspension! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lube your suspension!
Page 1 of 1