PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need help deciding Carb or Injection

Go down 
+3
1clickhigh
reid
Inconceivable
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Inconceivable

Inconceivable

Bike : 2010 KTM 530 EXC

Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Empty
PostSubject: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/29/2010, 1:58 pm

Ok here is the deal.

I Just sold my 68 Camaro today and have the money burning a hole in my pocket wink

I have been looking at plated CRF450R and X the R is injected and the X is Carb. Also checking out the KTM 450EXC and 525 and 530.

I have never rode a injected bike and wanted to know what experiance people have had with maintance and rideability.

Also the Honda is a 5 speed and the KTM is 6 speed. I do gear down my bikes because I ride alot of woods. Am I going to have cooling problems with these bikes? scared

Weigth is a big factor for me along with 450 being the smallest bike I could live with in engine size.

I am looking at low time used bikes 2005 and newer.

Any wisdom you can provide to keep me from making a mistake in my next bike purchase would be very appreciated. cheers
Back to top Go down
reid

reid

Bike : 2005 ATK450en (Cannondale)

PostSubject: carb or injection   Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/29/2010, 3:30 pm

I ride a 2005 ATK/Cannondale that is a 450 fuel injected. I know that when I get it in the upside down way after crashing I can pick it up hit the start button and take right off. A carbed bike might flood or will take a bit to get it going again.
Back to top Go down
1clickhigh

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/30/2010, 1:48 pm

Biggest difference I've noticed with my injected WR is the lack of a choke.
No long warm up on cold mornings. Start and ride.

After 5 months on it I still catch myself reaching down to shut the petcock off. Old habits die hard.
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

Bike : 2010 GasGas EC 450

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/30/2010, 5:54 pm

I ride an '05 GasGas fuel injected fse450. I have the aftermarket computer program that allows me to take my laptop out into the garage, hook it up to the bike, and customize my fule injection mapping. I actually have it rigged so i can change between two different settings while ridipng, wired into the headlight's hi-lo beam switch. For really tight stuff where I am at a greater risk of accidently rolling on the throttle at inopportune moments, I switch to the headlight's low beam which is my GasGas factory setting. When the trail opens up ever so slightly and I am ready to handle all it can give me, I switch to the high beam setting.

We just used the program to change the mapping on my buddie's GasGas and he is absolutely amazed at the difference.

My bike is now 5 yrs old, ridden hard, no FI problems whatsover.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/30/2010, 7:44 pm

I like FI but I like a factory plated bike better. big
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/30/2010, 9:28 pm

? Mine is plated.
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 6:04 am

Well given the 800 plus letters that just started coming out from the F%$*ing DOL ya better stick to factory plated bikes. I got one yesterday I'm assuming for my plated 200exc (no plate or vin on the letter). Hope they don't come after my factory dual sport 530 EXCr next.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 3:56 pm

Enduroguy wrote:
Well given the 800 plus letters that just started coming out from the F%$*ing DOL ya better stick to factory plated bikes. I got one yesterday I'm assuming for my plated 200exc (no plate or vin on the letter). Hope they don't come after my factory dual sport 530 EXCr next.
I guess everyone who doesn't have a factory plate with a KTM is getting the letter. Other brands next. Gahhh I guess they can do that because the state has enough money. I guess also they will give you an ORV tag in its place. I love big governent. Can I please vote you in again so you can take away more of my money and my rights? dunno
Back to top Go down
T.Low

T.Low

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime8/31/2010, 6:38 pm

Geez, you act like you agreed to pay into an ORV fund and then they stole it from you or something. Sheesh.

You act like I bought my van for $8k and when I go to pay the tax on the purchase (hey, didn't they tax it already the first time it sold?) they tell me that the State says it's worth $10k so thats what they are going to base tax on. WTF?!!

Gahhh I'd better stop here before I need to get some blood pressure meds or something.

Back to fuel injection. thumb
Back to top Go down
Captain Midnight

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 1:06 am

Go fuel injection. I have a WR250R. I realy like it. Very care free. Runs very well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need help deciding Carb or Injection    Need help deciding Carb or Injection  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need help deciding Carb or Injection
Page 1 of 1