PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Goggles and knee gaurds

Go down 
+6
PeteN95
Relaytech
75monza
TheFlying"W"
Murray211
Inspector
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

Goggles and knee gaurds Empty
PostSubject: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/6/2011, 7:47 pm

I need both and pretty bad/soon.

Never really noticed a difference on the goggles, just got the cheapest and was happy (the ones i have lasted 2years but are starting to show lots of wear). Thinking about picking up two pair. One OTG and one normal. Also looking at some Dragon's but they are $3x.xx. A little much. Do I really need two pair, or just stick with a cheapy OTG?

Shin/knee guards..need to upgrade. Something that will stay put better. At least 3strap. One around the thigh. MSR Reflex?

Go ahead, throw some ideas out there. I probably won't listen Evil6 , but that's ok cheers

Last edited by Inspector on 2/7/2011, 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : because yamwow is picking on me!!!)
Back to top Go down
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 6:34 am

I have a pair of Scott No Sweat's and they are super rad! Keeps your face very ventilated in the summer (it's only slightly cooler when you take them off instead of having a big rush of relief because your face was so damn hot!), but because there are so many inlets for air, you tend to get dust and sand in your eyes too. I hear pam can resolve that problem, but I've never done that. If I were to buy another pair of goggles, I'd definitely go with Scott.

I have no first-hand experience with the shin/knee guards. EVS makes good stuff, and 661 does also. I read a review a long time ago about the higher-end Fox knee/shin guards that said they were really nice.
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
TheFlying"W"

TheFlying

Bike : '03 WR450F, 2009 Vmax

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 10:53 am

I am currently running with Oakley O Frame goggles, $35. Like them alot, have them attached with QuickStrap. They keep the dirt out, and I don't have any issue with sweat. They are nicely flexible, and I can run a double lens in the winter for anti-fog purpose when I am out snowmobiling.
Goggles and knee gaurds 45f5a48b8bf55

For knee/shin guards, I am using Fox, but I don't remember the name of them. They were only about $20 or so. The biggest issue with knee/shin guards, is they will move around if you are not wearing MX boots to help hold them in place. I use mine on every ride, and never have issues with them moving around, even at Odessa. They look like these.
Goggles and knee gaurds Fox_10_tit_spo_kne_gua_blk-slv
Back to top Go down
75monza

75monza

Bike : 2006 KTM 950 Adventure

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 4:24 pm

I love my Scott's goggles for the most part. I have the 89XI Desert Goggles. They are light sensitive, so they work in a variety of light conditions. The more sun, the darker they get. I can ride from sun up to sun down and have done it before without issues. Love them:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/4/11629/ITEM/Scott-89-Xi-Desert-Goggles.aspx

I made a mistake and went over to the single lens from the normal 89Xi Desert lens trying to save some money when I needed a new lens. The ones with the pins for tears offs. This lens sucks. I plan on ordering up the Desert lens again soon. The Desert lens has dual lens and the air-gap to help reduce fogging.

They cost a little more, but I recommend them. A friend of mine has 4 different lenses for his one set of goggles for different light conditions. I just run the one and I am happy. He has spent way more on lenses vs just getting a light sensitive lens.

I have the Thor Force Shin/Knee guards. I got them on sale. They work great, but I have not tested them on any really bad get offs yet. I use them on my downhill bicycle too. As previously mentioned, you need moto boots to hold them up or the slip and droop off your knee. A different buddy uses the 661 shin guards for Downhill and they stay up better without boots. Not sure which ones he has, but they are longer than my Thors. If you are looking at these type of protections, I recommend the under guard socks/sleeves:

http://www.evs-sports.com/product/accessories/brace-sleeve/

Really help in reduces the chaffing.
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 5:00 pm

I really like my 661 Race knee/shin guards. They stay in place very well, and seem to offer pretty good protection. (Thankfully, I have not put them to the test yet!)

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Moto.aspx?id=3e60c757-03cb-4e51-9ee9-c2119c2e3925&product=c2bb0970-0fce-4da7-ab02-24d753a38a62
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/7/2011, 7:22 pm

I like these. They don't say, but are they the same...that tinting thing? Also heard about these double lens but never seen them.

I saw the 661 guards...crappy pics on all the web sites but I'm interested.
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 9:14 am

All ski goggles use double lenses, so you might find some of those.

Here are some EVS knee guards that I have and like, but they are a little warm in hot weather. They do stay in place very well.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/19/226/1554/ITEM/EVS-SC05-Knee-Shin-Guards.aspx
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/8/2011, 1:23 pm

Inspector needs a snorkel for goggles and inflatable knee pads that double as flotation devices.. poser
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 3:59 pm

So it looks like it's between the thor and MSR. Thor stays put better and more protecting. MSR less but a lot more comfortable. Both of them better than what I had.

Googles...Scott 89xi with either thermal or light sensitive for trail riding (I didn't see an option for having both in the same lens so thinking light sensitivity)
Scott OTG with thermals(?) for Dualsporting

?

*I checked into the option of adding inflatability and found nothing. big
Back to top Go down
dhally

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/11/2011, 5:58 pm

I really like to try on goggles and knee guards before buying, to make sure they fit well.

For goggles it might be a good idea to buy spare lenses at the same time as the goggles, they always seem to discontinue them before I need them. Also can carry a spare lens more compactly than spare goggles.

cheers
Back to top Go down
oring212

oring212

Bike : 2011 ktm 450 exc

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:36 pm

I use the 661 shin guards and fox main pro goggles....the goggles are normally 65 bucks but rocky mountain has some on closeout( last years styles) for like 25-30 bucks that's a steal...I love these goggles..breath awesome and keep off the sweat..I'm going to upgrade to the alpinestar knee brace/guards....due too my given knee condition.
Back to top Go down
Murray211

Murray211

Bike : YZ250F, TRX250R, TRX450R & CRF230M/L

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime4/19/2011, 6:48 am

So I bought the Thor Force knee guards because they had a high rating, and I liked that the upper part actually had a strap to keep the knee guard on your knee. Got them yesterday so I put them on with some pants to see how they fit.

I bought the small guards expecting that they would be too big, but they were actually almost too small! Lengthwise they are a little long, and a little wide, it was the neoprene closure that was nearly too small. They also have 3 velcro straps to keep the guards on you. They are actually REALLY comfortable. I was surprised. Low profile enough to fit in my riding pants (which I didn't expect because I tried them on with a pair of girls' riding pants which are mostly made to look good and not function really well baldy ) but since I have kids boots for small feet, I could juuuuuust BARELY get my boots closed around the shin part. You probably will not have that problem. I also notice they were a little on the warm side. Standing in my house with pants, guards, boots on I was a little on the warm side and my house was maybe 60 degrees (maybe). I think the guards would be a little more comfortable if you had a brace sock or something else on under it, but that might make you even warmer.

Walking was weird because there is definitely some resistance, but sitting on a bike was fine. You can't straighten your leg all the way though, which may be a problem because I need all the leg I can get right now to touch the ground on one side of my bike...Rolling Eyes

The guards were $90 and they look like they will take a beating. I will let you know what happens after I ride for a while on them, but I'm happy so far! Definitely check them out. thumb
Back to top Go down
http://murray211.com
Inspector
Inspector

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime6/25/2011, 5:07 pm

Just a quick update. Only been on one complete ride + 2.4895 minutes of another (I landed on my arm and back when i crashed, not my knees big with the MSR and plastic strap has broken. As soon as I can move my arm I'll see if they are salvageable or not.
Back to top Go down
Enduroguy

Enduroguy

Bike : 08 KTM 530 EXC-R

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime6/26/2011, 8:27 am

Inspector
I heard that crash from the main lot and saw the bent bike you brought back. Glad you were wearing gear and are ok. Willy said you bounced and slid a long ways scared Doah Bet your a sore puppy today. Will try it again soon.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/enduroguy35
pjturbo

pjturbo

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime6/26/2011, 9:39 am

I use the Bohn cool Tech underwear. It's expensive but it has done a good job for me. I need good protection because I don't heal very fast anymore. big

Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Goggles and knee gaurds   Goggles and knee gaurds Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Goggles and knee gaurds
Page 1 of 1