PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tire from HELL

Go down 
+3
Relaytech
YamWOW!
craig2211
7 posters
AuthorMessage
craig2211

craig2211

Bike : 2016 KTM 500 EXC 6-days

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 7:50 am

Last night Mamacone called to see if i could help help him with a tire change on his 950 ADV, so he came over with 2 new 908RR. We started on the front and that complete tire change took about 10 min. then we started on the rear, a hour and a half later we get the tire OFF. This was the worst tire i have ever changed and i have done hundreds of them before. KTM has mashined a inner lip onto the inside of rim so when you go to brake the bead on the tire, the bead does not slide past the lip. Gahhh
We pounded, cut, used pri - bars, screw driver, C-clamps......................and every tool we could throw at it. We laugh alot, could not believe this tire was kicking are Butt.
After getting it off i had to talk a picture of it.

[img]Tire from HELL Tirefromhell001[/img]

DUME ASS BIKERS = 1 WIN ............ TIRE = 0 cheers
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 9:56 am

You suppose to let the air out of the tube first. big
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/19/2011, 8:42 pm

YamWOW! wrote:
You suppose to let the air out of the tube first. big

That's the sissy way to do it!
Back to top Go down
DoctorXRR

DoctorXRR

Bike : 2003 DR650

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Tire change from Hell!   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 6:53 am

Wow holy crap! All that work and frustration....hope y'all have all your fingers left!
Back to top Go down
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php
mamacone

mamacone

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 6:38 pm

After thoughts are how do you fix a flat in the woods? Did some reading on adv rider and quite a few people are grinding down the inner safety lip. The GURU of wheels (woody) said they frequently grind down 10 inches of the safety lip on both sided of the rim, which makes bead breaking tolerable on the 950. At some point I want to get a 2.5" wheel to replace the 4.25" that I currently have. One inmate on ADV rider said he would rather light his crotch on fire then change the rear tire on a pre 2005 adventure. Sure hope I don't have a flat before the 908 is wore out. Should have bought a HONDA!
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/20/2011, 7:06 pm

mamacone wrote:
After thoughts are how do you fix a flat in the woods? Did some reading on adv rider and quite a few people are grinding down the inner safety lip. The GURU of wheels (woody) said they frequently grind down 10 inches of the safety lip on both sided of the rim, which makes bead breaking tolerable on the 950. At some point I want to get a 2.5" wheel to replace the 4.25" that I currently have. One inmate on ADV rider said he would rather light his crotch on fire then change the rear tire on a pre 2005 adventure. Sure hope I don't have a flat before the 908 is wore out. Should have bought a HONDA!
I can spare a liter of water out of my Camelback if you feel the need to use fire on yourself. dunno
Back to top Go down
MortimerSickle

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 11:05 am

If it has a centerstand, you could use the kickstand trick.

I have not tried it myself, but it is supposed to work pretty well.
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime2/21/2011, 6:32 pm

MortimerSickle wrote:
If it has a centerstand, you could use the kickstand trick.

I have not tried it myself, but it is supposed to work pretty well.

Tried it, had a 950 Super Enduro pivoting on the kick stand and did not budge the bead. Next time going to try a little heat, like a burn out with the front brake locked up until she blows. Might need Yamwow's camel back for this one.
Back to top Go down
75monza

75monza

Bike : 2006 KTM 950 Adventure

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime3/8/2011, 8:50 am

Grinding down that bead has already been posted.

hontri over at ADVRIDER has made up a custom beadbreaker that is supposed to help get this very thing done:

Tire from HELL P1020283
picture swiped from his thread

I have been thinking about picking one up as well as his under seat tray to store it in. Luckily, I got an '06 950 so I don't have to worry about that bead. I have mounted a Pirelli, a Shinko, and a 908 on my KTM with my dad's help and his HF tire changer setup. The 908 was the hardest, but it was worth it. Best tire I have used on the orange beast.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tire from HELL Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tire from HELL   Tire from HELL Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tire from HELL
Page 1 of 1