PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Need tire advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dweller

Need tire advice Empty
PostSubject: Need tire advice   Need tire advice Icon_minitime4/24/2012, 1:28 pm

I am looking for some new tires, and thought I would turn to you, fellow NW Dualsporters to get some feedback. After all, who would know better what kind of terrain we encounter than the people who ride it every day!

So, a little about me and my riding. I have had the bike for a little over a year, a 1986 XL600R. I installed a Dunlop D606 front and a Kenda Trakmaster rear. I put a few thousand miles on it last year up in the coast range (mostly Browns Camp and surrounding areas) and loved this combination. I would highly recommend them. Toward the end of last year I got endorsed so have been spending more time on road and am discovering that these tires are not ideal for long street rides. We rode a 250 mile loop recently and the tires were factor in wearing me out. The noise is not an issue as much as the vibration/bounce. Once I hit 62 MPH it gets to be more than I am comfortable pushing past and anything over 40 and I know I am on knobbies. That being said, I can NOT complain about the traction. These tires have pulled me through everything I have thrown at them both off road and on.

Now I have a trip back east planned (Hells Canyon loop) that could run upwards of 1000 miles over a few days and I can not see myself doing it on these tires. I need something more street friendly without giving up too much of the off road riding that I love so much.

I am looking for something in the 50/50, 60/40 or possibly even 80/20 range. I add 80/20 only because a number of somewhat aggressive tires I have looked at still claim to be 80/20. I ride everything from gravel to single track when off road, but the majority would be gravel and hard packed dirt with some rock thrown in. I do not get into mud that often. A smooth ride on pavement is really my focus, but I need to know I can hit some gravel and not worry about it. Cost is not deciding factor, as I am willing to pay for something that will perform, so feel free to throw any suggestion you have my way.

Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
PeteN95

PeteN95

Bike : Honda XR650R

Need tire advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need tire advice   Need tire advice Icon_minitime4/27/2012, 9:04 am

I am running Shinko 705 on my XR650R and really like them. They are about an 80/20 (street/dirt) tire and still work amazingly well on anything except mud. I've even ridden technical single track on a dry day. They also work great on pavement, smooth with great grip. I do Supermoto track days on them. They also wear well and are very low priced.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

Need tire advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need tire advice   Need tire advice Icon_minitime4/27/2012, 11:33 am

Sounds like they are just out of balance.

For 50/50 or anything near nothing beats MT43 and a good knob like D606, D739, Pirelli mxmh, scorpion pro.

I could get 5k+ out of a D606 front, 3k+ mt43 rear.

You could run mt43 front too, just will be washy offroad

I have tried a lot of knobbies, and the only one that holds a candle to the mt43 is the maxxis desert it for longevity.

I am running d739 front and mt43 rear now, its a really great dual sport combo. Hooks up on the street and trail well

Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Sponsored content

Need tire advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Need tire advice   Need tire advice Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need tire advice
Page 1 of 1