PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install

Go down 
+5
Backwoods Boogie
YamWOW!
Focker
Hodakaguy
Relaytech
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Relaytech

Relaytech

DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Empty
PostSubject: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/24/2009, 9:44 pm

OK, this is my first ever how-to/mod write-up, so if you have any pointers on improvement, go ahead and let me know.

Here is what I started with:
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Before

The first order of business was to strip off the side panels, seat and tank.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Stripped

I then removed the stock petcock from the original tank.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Petcock

The new tank's mounting surface for the petcock is rather rough, so I did not think the stock O-ring on the petcock would be enough to seal off any gas leaks.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Petcock%20mount

I found that the petcock pick-up/vent tube would not fit in the factory holes, so I opened them up to one oval hole.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Hole

To hopefully guard against any fuel leaks, I applied a thin layer of MotoSeal to the fuel tank's petcock mounting surface. Basically just enough to fill in the scratches from machining. This Motoseal is supposed to be fuel resistant. We shall see!
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Motoseal

After mounting the petcock, I then attached the rear IMS mounting brackets to the tank. The instructions say to put the frame end of the brackets higher than the tank end. The frame end of the brackets have the larger hole to accommodate the factory rubber bushings.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Brackets

I am not real happy with the build quality of this tank. I hear some people have no problem what so ever mounting these tanks, and other people have a real hard time with installation. I don't think their quality is consistent. Here is a pic of one of the minor flaws. The 2 threaded inserts are not even.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Quality

Now comes the hard part. Once I got the tank on the bike and loosely installed the bolts in the rear brackets to the frame, I then moved to the front of the bike to install the bolts through the shroud area of the tank to the radiators. No problem on the right side of the bike. But then when I moved to the left side of the bike, the hole in the shroud area of the tank was a 1/2 inch of from the hole in the radiator. I could not move things enough to get it to line up. So I went on ThumperTalk to se if I could find any info on this. apparently other people had this problem also. Most peoples remedy was to force the tank forward as much as possible, loosen up the radiator to frame mounts, then push the radiator towards the rear of the bike and install the through bolt once the two holes are lined up. Tighten the through bolt to the radiator and then tighten the radiator to frame bolts. Then tighten the rear tank bolts. All right, now we're cookin'!
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 1st%20Attempt

Well, not so fast there! After getting everything tightened up, I started looking around the tank for clearances. Well now, the radiator fan motor is pressed up against the valve cover! :bang: I was not comfortable with things being stressed any how. So now what to do? I had an idea! I had some 1" wide, 1/8" ? thick flat aluminum stock in the shop, so I cut off a piece and bent it in half over a screw driver shaft. When bent in half, it was the same thickness as the IMS spacer. I then drilled holes on opposite sides of the aluminim, 1/2" apart. Then I bolted the adapter to the radiator, and the tank to the adapter. This might not make sense, but the picture should help. There is also a piece of rubber between the adapter and the tank. I think this worked out pretty well, But I don't think I should have to do something like this on a product that I spent good money on! Any how, the tank is now mounted with no stress.
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Custom

After getting the tank installed, I then proceeded to put the seat back on. Well, now another problem. I can't get the seat on! :bang: I fought, and fought and fought, and then went back to ThumperTalk again. Another search, another remedy! LUBE! Some said to use WD40 on all contact points. Well that sounded good, but I thought it might become a mess once dirt got mixed with that stuff! Well I just happen to have some dry lube. It is Dupont Performance Dry Multi-Use Lubricant. This stuff did the trick! Just put the plastic back, install the fuel and vacuume lines, and presto!
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Done
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/24/2009, 9:51 pm

Looks great thumb . Nice write up. That sucks on the quality control.

Sure does look sweet in all black.
Thanks for the post. Now we need some good weather so we can ride Gahhh

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Focker

Focker

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 12:07 am

Relaytech wrote:
OK, this is my first ever how-to/mod write-up, so if you have any pointers on improvement, go ahead and let me know.
You done good! :evil:
Back to top Go down
http://www.xr650rforum.com
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 8:01 am

Maybe the tank was right and your bike was crooked. nest
Back to top Go down
Focker

Focker

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 8:03 am

YamWOW! wrote:
I wouldn't give him any crap...Remember he's packing your tuna can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.xr650rforum.com
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 8:08 am

Focker wrote:
YamWOW! wrote:
I wouldn't give him any crap...Remember he's packing your tuna can.

DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install YamTuna

I just wanted to make sure his bike is up to it. big
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 3:28 pm

I don't know how the bike could be crooked, the stock parts fit perfectly! After all, "It's made in Japan. You know the Japanese make good stuff"! 🍌
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 5:13 pm

Nice job on the install... thumb

I'm really liking the "blacked out" stealth look.

Very cool Cool
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 5:50 pm

Thanks for the compliments every one! thumb
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

Bike : '04 DRZ400, '00 CR250R

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 11:47 pm

Nice! It needs more black though! 🍌
Back to top Go down
http://www.benddualsport.com
Drewski

Drewski

Bike : DRZ 400 Suzuki

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime5/22/2010, 9:44 am

Nice job on the new tank. Hows that SM suspension feel on the off road?
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime5/22/2010, 1:10 pm

DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 5543 nice job, i'm glad to finally see some body else have proper fit problems with after market stuff, DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 6229 i was beginning to think i was the only one that had to modify brand new parts to get them to fit right. DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 665841
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime5/22/2010, 3:42 pm

Drewski wrote:
Nice job on the new tank. Hows that SM suspension feel on the off road?
Not too bad, but not as good as my regular off-road only DR Z400. I am sure it could use some dialing in, but have never done it.
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime5/22/2010, 3:47 pm

big jer wrote:
DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 5543 nice job, i'm glad to finally see some body else have proper fit problems with after market stuff, DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 6229 i was beginning to think i was the only one that had to modify brand new parts to get them to fit right. DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 665841

Your definitely not the only one! However, I must say, the after market parts I bought for my F800GS fit perfect!
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime5/22/2010, 7:12 pm

That stealth Z should have the giant loop on it by now, so it is ready for the Nevada dessert on Wed.
Back to top Go down
Relaytech

Relaytech

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime5/25/2010, 7:05 pm

mamacone wrote:
That stealth Z should have the giant loop on it by now, so it is ready for the Nevada dessert on Wed.

Yeah, I know. Have to catch the next one. DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install 6229
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install   DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DR Z400SM IMS Tank Install
Page 1 of 1