PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Les Peterson

Les Peterson

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Empty
PostSubject: Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08   Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 7:19 am

OK, here are my pics of a ride a bunch of us did in mid November. I put this ride together on ADV and had a few adv'ers respond.
Here we are at the first stop near the top of Lewis Peak area.
Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 LewisPeak

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 LewisPeak2

We rode into Dayton and had some really good cholesterol for lunch. After lunch we rode up to the start of the Kendal Skyline road for another photo op.
Left to right, Little Jim (Bean), Big Jim (Biggyfries), my brother Randy, John the DR dude (big Jim's cousin), my bike (I took the picture), and Henry on the Strom.

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 SkylineRdIntersection

The road was good for a while and everyone kept up. The day was clear, no wind and awesome fall colors. There was some logging going on but the loggers had the day off so we only saw the equipment. It started to get cold on us and we ran into some ice patches on the road. On the portions of the road in the sunlight it was muddy. Henry (the yellow strom) was playing tail end charlie and went down. He's fine, though a bit sore is suspect and some damage to his bike.

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 StromDown

Little Jim, (aka Bean here on the forum) was great to ride with also. He went down twice but no one got a pic of those. I tried to on the second drop but he got the bike upright before I could stop and get the camera out. This is a pic of him somewhere on the ride.

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Jim

We passed some folks cutting firewood and shortly found this in the road.

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 RoadBlock2

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 RoadBlock

Thankfully one of us was thinking (little Jim) and rode back to get one of the wood cutters. The guy gladly cut this tree out for us and we were on our way.
A bit after the downed tree, Henry the strom rider had enough. He decided the road was getting a bit much for his tires and turned around and went home. Thankfully he did. The road only got worse, much much worse. I didn't get any good pics of the bad road but I did find myself riding the ruts alot. In fact I couldn't get out of them if I wanted. (ask the Dodge 4x4 about that). Little Jim and John the DR650 rider went down in this section of road.

Here is a pic of John the DR dude, and Big Jim (aka Biggy Fries) coming out of some bad stuff.

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 GnarlyRoad

We all made it home, though after dark. Riding down Tiger Canyon road wasn't to nice though. They had some mud slides recently and in spots the mud was scraping my bash plate. It didn't help that it was dark, I had a muddy headlight and muddy face shield either. I was thankfull I trucked my bike over, cause I was tired. I had washed my KLR a few weeks ago and was feeling bad about that. Yesterday more than made up for it though.

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 AproperKLR

You see, I am the sort of person who thinks dirt bikes and such need to have dirt on them. In fact, washing and waxing a KLR is too much like putting makeup and lipstick on a pig. No matter what you do to it, you still have a KLR.

So to all of you who rode yesterday, I want to thank you for the the fun times. It was nice meeting two new riders, Jim (bean) and Henry. I think I speak for most of us on the ride, IT WAS FUN.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08   Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 7:35 am

thumb Looks like good ride. We had some nice days in November. Where is Lewis Peak area?
Back to top Go down
Les Peterson

Les Peterson

PostSubject: Re: Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08   Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Icon_minitime1/25/2009, 7:39 am

Lewis Peak area is about 15 or so miles east of Walla Walla between Dixie and Waitsburg. The turnoff we took was on top of Minik (sp?) hill off of SR12.
Back to top Go down
oldx

PostSubject: Re: Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08   Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Icon_minitime2/27/2009, 9:50 pm

Looks like a fun ride.
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08   Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Icon_minitime2/28/2009, 6:37 am

That looks like just great riding! The more pictures I see like that makes me even that much more happy with selling the CR and going this route! Thanks for posting those up!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08   Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kendal Skyline Road Ride Nov '08
Page 1 of 1