PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana

Go down 
+4
XCR500Rider
YamWOW!
Inspector
griz901
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Empty
PostSubject: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime2/21/2009, 3:50 pm

Thought you might like an idea of what to expect if you are planning early trip to Kalispell MT area.
Current temp: 42 degrees high, 20 or so lows
Off the beaten path conditions: 3,300' elevation two foot snow/ice, daily melt and refreeze.
Main valley roads clear wet/dry conditions, patchy ice in shadows, lots of standing water and ice at edges of roads and intersections.
Here is a pick of my parking area and part of my back yard

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Img_3010
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime2/21/2009, 4:25 pm

Looks cool, but bet it would get old quick. lol
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime2/21/2009, 8:35 pm

Oh ya I would say cabin fever. Sad Just make up for it in the LATE spring. Nice country there.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: FIXED.... NW Montana weather update   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime2/25/2009, 4:35 pm

I need some of this sunny

A little of this freaky

A lot of this :zzzzzz:

And none of THIS:

Current temp: 14 F
Wind chill: -2 F
Winds: N 16 with gusts 25
Light snow, drifting snow after night of heavy snowfall.

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Dscn0311
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: March 3rd Northern Flathead Valley road report   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/3/2009, 10:12 pm

Well after the last storm, things have warmed significantly. My Ice War 2009 phase II has begun. :bang:

Valley roadways are clear with some standing water at edges due to melting snow. I drove by one of my favorite access points at 3,300 ft elevation and the dirt road was still covered in slush and ice. Most forest service routes are still impassible on two wheels. It will be another month before access opens to local traffic.

Highways are open, wet during the day in shady areas with patchy ice in the evening. Saw a bunch of Harleys out today and a KLR in downtown Kalispell.

Looking forward to spring! If these warm temps keep up the last 1,000 feet of driveway will clear soon (I hope) and it'll be time to ride. cheers

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Img_3010
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 6:34 am

How much land do you have there? I bet in the summer and spring it's pretty nice over there. My Mother in Law lives in Roundup, about 80 miles North of billings in the bull mountains. A couple years ago while we were visiting, I almost bought a 122 acres over there for 80K. I just looked here a while back, and the same property is going for almost 300K! It's getting a little expensive over there. But it's still a great place. I really like Montana. Also just for curio, is that an Aussie Shepard?
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Evergreen Special (Heinz 57)   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 9:53 am

Hey XCR

My place is 2.34 acres. You can't see it in the pic but I have a direct line of sight view of Big Mountain Ski Resort (7 miles as the crow flies). We love it here as it reminds us of the small communities both my wife and I grew up in. My house isn't much, but the dirt and trees sold us. It took a couple years to clean up the place after the previous owners sold to us. Kind of a diamond in the rough type of thing.

I am hoping to expand my social skills this season by offering up tent space with the added benefit of having someone to ride with now and then. The place really does clean up nice. We used to go backcountry dry camping but nowadays it's hard to plan a trip when all of us are available. So we spend a lot of time around the campfire in the back yard.

The dog a springadore, LOL springer spaniel/lab cross. She's a heinz 57 I picked up from a friend who was forced to take a litter to the pound. We ended up getting her and one of her sisters. Their mom was a black lab cross and she had a huge litter from all over the neighborhood. That dog got around!

I bet that property you considered is really nice. I hope to eventually do some riding on the east side of the divide. I can't imagine having 120 acres.

later,

griz
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

Bike : '04 DRZ400, '00 CR250R

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 10:51 am

Hey Griz...When does that "crap" usually melt up in your neck o' the woods?
Back to top Go down
http://www.benddualsport.com
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: When does it melt???   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 2:52 pm

We are at 3,300 ft. elevation and there will be patches of snow left on the ground through April 1st but the lower elevation dirt will start opening up. Road surface temps are good enough right now that they are wet during the day and most main roadways are dry.

The upper half of going to the sun road in the park doesn't open until June depending on how much snow is up there. It is not uncommon to have the upper half stay closed to nearly July. But even going half way up is a thrill.

Because our valley is like a big 15 mile wide, 21 mile long bowl the surrounding dirt can get some elevation (4k to 5.5k elevation) those dirt roads are impassible until after memorial day or so. But that can change depending on how fast the melt happens. Many of the forest service roads don't open until June 1st. But there are many places to explore that don't require backcountry access. Southwest backroads get very muddy but open sooner. Typical spring up here includes plenty of rain off and on through memorial day. Even though we get fire restrictions later in the season, my favorite time of year is late summer and fall. Last year I rode and camped to the end of September.

I'll take some pics of the valley floor roads so you can get an idea. My driveway isn't really representative of what things are like only five miles away.

regards,

griz
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/4/2009, 11:40 pm

Awesome info Griz! I'm heading that way around the 8th of June.
Back to top Go down
OMR

OMR

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/5/2009, 9:20 am

Hey Griz, I feel for you man. I keep thinking; just a couple more weeks and I can get out to some riding and it dumps more of the white stuff.
It will probably be late june early july before I can get up to some of my favorite trails.
I have to look at the bright side and maybe concentrate on finding rides to go on lower and closer to home.
Hang on. Gahhh
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/5/2009, 11:36 am

Man...I'm hoping that global warming kicks in soon!
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Another spring blizzard, whoa is me..........   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/5/2009, 12:53 pm

Buck Nasty wrote:
Man...I'm hoping that global warming kicks in soon!

Hey BN
You are welcome to stop by if you make it up this way. If you use google earth I can send you my coordinates when you start planning. I shouldn't have any snow left by first week of June.

I probably just cursed myself by saying that. Last June 10th we got 4" of snow even in the valley Suspect

I came up from the basement to take a break from painting and there is a full blown blizzard going on outside, horse feathers! tough

later

griz
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/5/2009, 10:18 pm

Cool Griz. I'm not sure how far north we're gonna make it. Once we leave Bend, we'll be playing it by ear! I'll let you know!
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: You guessed it - it's still winter   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/8/2009, 6:35 am

:loco: I am going crazy Gahhh
Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Img_3110
Back to top Go down
MortimerSickle

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/8/2009, 9:30 am

Buck Nasty wrote:
If you find yourself in NE Oregon between the 4th and 7th, keep an eye out for Adv FFs, and stop to say "Hello." http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417823
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/8/2009, 12:17 pm

MortimerSickle wrote:
Buck Nasty wrote:
If you find yourself in NE Oregon between the 4th and 7th, keep an eye out for Adv FFs, and stop to say "Hello." http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417823

We just my do that Mort!
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Sun please   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/14/2009, 8:50 pm

I am determined to start using the bike to commute into town lurk
Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Img_3111

I am pretty exhausted but the bike actually touched asphalt today, he he...

https://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=11308&id=1636837394&l=36b86889c6

later for now

griz
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/15/2009, 7:04 am

lols. I like that pic.
Back to top Go down
Buck Nasty

Buck Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/15/2009, 11:05 am

Thanks for the report Griz. Your pics make me feel better about my "shitty" weather in Bend!
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Driveway still iced up, but....   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/17/2009, 11:11 am

Here is something fun and uplifting instead of telling you how it is snowing again today.

Fourth of July parade in Polebridge Montana. 40 miles of dirt road followed by politically incorrect parade, huckleberry beer, fresh baked forest ham sammich and last but not least:

"Aliens with rectal probes"

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Alien_10
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/17/2009, 11:53 am

griz901 wrote:
Here is something fun and uplifting instead of telling you how it is snowing again today.

Fourth of July parade in Polebridge Montana. 40 miles of dirt road followed by politically incorrect parade, huckleberry beer, fresh baked forest ham sammich and last but not least:

"Aliens with rectal probes"

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Alien_10

Thats funny right there! Only in Montana! 🍌
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: No sammich for me this weekend   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/25/2009, 9:17 pm

My plan to ride up to Polebridge got a little snow this morning. Will need to wait a couple days.
Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Img_3112
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime3/31/2009, 6:19 am

cry More snow, coming down heavy and sticking.

That is all...

Feel free to post some more ride reports to boost my spirits! lurk

regards,

griz
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: 62 yesterday 60 today - Spring has sprung   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime4/7/2009, 5:14 pm

Oh ya! Rode last night. Spring is here, side roads are still slushy with patches of ice but give it another week or two of warmer temps and it's rock and roll time. Taking the cage up towards Polebridge tomorrow to check north fork road. cheers

Valley roads, feeder roads are icy in the morning (run off still freezing). Lots of gravel in corners, highways are clear.

Tent space is defrosting nicely, fire pit area is a bit swampy still but will dry up over the next two weeks. sunny
Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Img_3113
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana   Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cabin Fever Condition Report - North end of Flathead Valley Montana
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next