PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AXO Boxer Boots

Go down 
+2
Backwoods Boogie
Inspector
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/9/2009, 4:48 pm

Yeah or nay?
http://www.atomic-moto.com/servlet/the-61/AXO-Boxer-Boots/Detail

*I really want the same boots hoodaguy(?) bought. Perfect color and everything. The penny-pincher is strong in this one though. I'll order the Boxers tomorrow if enough people talk me into them.

*edit....hmmm, wonder if they run true to size?
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/9/2009, 8:05 pm

Those boots are excellent, my Son wears them.

Very good quality for the $$. thumb

Shoot Brian an e-mail, he'll give you the low down on the sizing.

info@shevlinsports.com
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/10/2009, 11:31 am

^^I did just that, thank you.

He got back to me with a LOT of information. Will be ordering them tonight or tomorrow. Just trying to decide what size. He says go bigger, I'm thinking go smaller. Damn being half size!
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/16/2009, 7:15 am

Well I got my boots in. In the next couple of weeks I'll try to get some kind of review written for them. To be perfectly honest, they are so vastly different then anything else I've worn (except for skiboots?), that i don't know if I can give any kind of review.
Back to top Go down
Brtp4

Brtp4

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/19/2009, 12:08 pm

Inspector wrote:
Well I got my boots in. In the next couple of weeks I'll try to get some kind of review written for them. To be perfectly honest, they are so vastly different then anything else I've worn (except for skiboots?), that i don't know if I can give any kind of review.

That is exactly why you should give a review!!

BP
Back to top Go down
http://www.atomic-moto.com
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/19/2009, 4:44 pm

Haha....The more gear i buy, the less ride time I get. dunno . This weekend is a slow ride up to Deception Pass. Next weekend hopefully riding with a buddy that has no boots (has some bone spur so can't ride without some). I'll loan him mine to see if he likes them (which means I'm stuck with the roadracers.lol), in which case one of us will have to buy another pair.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/20/2009, 6:37 pm

OK, you guys are going to hate me for continually posting in this thread, but trying to work this out.

Tried on the boots and I can make them fit pretty good, (the heel slides a tiny bit). My problem is I hopped on the bike and physically could not get the boot under the shifter. I should be able to raise it a bit, but it is already above the peg and I'm afraid any more will make it hard to downshift.
I realize any MX boot is thicker, but these are 3 inches high in the toe box, (a full 1 inch higher then my other boots).

Any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Brtp4

Brtp4

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/20/2009, 7:38 pm

Inspector wrote:
OK, you guys are going to hate me for continually posting in this thread, but trying to work this out.

Tried on the boots and I can make them fit pretty good, (the heel slides a tiny bit). My problem is I hopped on the bike and physically could not get the boot under the shifter. I should be able to raise it a bit, but it is already above the peg and I'm afraid any more will make it hard to downshift.
I realize any MX boot is thicker, but these are 3 inches high in the toe box, (a full 1 inch higher then my other boots).

Any thoughts?

I wasn't with you, and am not disregarding your clear-headed product feedback. I was worried about this, so I went back to the office and checked a brand-new pair of 11 AXOs against my personal size 12 Forma Dominators, which are broken in. You can see this here:

AXO Boxer Boots Axo_boxer_toebox

I don't think they are abnormally tall or tall compared to other MX boots, and I dont think your shifter should be raised again if it is already above the peg. My guess is that they feel stupidly large because they are stiff and different than your hiking boots. My Dominators are a hinge design, and definitely easier to get under the peg than a non-hinge, but it still is not "easy", and if it is, your boots are too soft.

That said, I think you have two very distinct choices: you can ride using something softer like a street or hiking boot, which will feel normal, and be easy to operate the controls. Or, you can stick it out with these until you become accustomed to them. Based on the fact that they fit you, without any painful spots, it seems more a matter of acclimation to MX boots, than the design of the boots. I don't think any other moto boot is going to be that much different, once you break these in. I think you can spend more, and they will be more comfortable, but I think you will have the same sensations

If you are really not satisfied with them, I will take them back and refund you. This is outside our normal return policy and I do NOT extend this to anyone, but in some cases I like to make sure my customers are happy.

One thing...I really think a set of insoles will be NIGHT AND DAY for comfort. I am screening vendors for these now, and have it narrowed to Montrail, Sole, and Superfeet, and my favorites are the first two. I keep banging away at this topic but it really is a huge, huge improvement and everyone with Moto boots should do it.

Let me know your additional comments, looking forward to helping on this 'til you are satisfied.

Brian
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/20/2009, 10:17 pm

LOL, Brian you the bomb. Really I'm not trying to be difficult, (also the weekend) is why I didn't email you.
I appoligize to you and everyone else if it seems like I'm knocking anything. The customer service has been EXCELLENT as is evident. I don't want to return the Boxer Boots. I really want to break them in a little and get used to them. Have an hour or so tomorrow to fiddle/fart with a few things and actually test them with the bike moving.

So far: Buckles opperate very smoothly, plenty of room for the shin/knee guards to fit down into the boot. No pinch points to mention. Proper insoles will be key. Didn't like the red on them in the beginning, but the boots actually look very good in person and not gaudy/outlandish(?) like others. Since they are not hinged, don't bend easily, but hey, they aren't broken in yet either.

*I took some insoles out of my hiking boots and tried those, yes, they did make a big (better) difference like you said. I'll definitly be needing some of those.

****ONE thing i forgot until now, I did bend my shift lever 180deg. on a log, bent it back by hand. Need to take a look at that also.
Back to top Go down
YamWOW!
YamWOW!

Bike : 08' KTM 530 EXC-R, BMW F800GS

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/21/2009, 6:50 am

If you haven't worn MX boots before they will feel out of place. They will drive you up the wall for a short period of time. After a while you will almost forget you are wearing them on the bike. Shifting will become second nature. You will never get your toe under the shifter like a street shoe. You will kinda sweep the shifter at a angle. MX boots do give you the level of comfort of knowing you won't twist you ankle when you set your foot down or take all your skin off your leg from the peg or branch. I would give it a ride or two I hated my first set until I got used to them. thumb By the way I did raise my WRR's shifter one cog for MX boots.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/21/2009, 8:16 am

^^^^Perfect. Exactly the kind of information I needed. thumb
Back to top Go down
Les Peterson

Les Peterson

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/21/2009, 8:52 am

I've been eyeing the Forma Dominator hinged boot and I can't find anything about water proofing/water resistance. How do these hold up to stream crossing's? One of my pet peeves is getting my feet wet. Anybody have any feedback?
Back to top Go down
Brtp4

Brtp4

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/21/2009, 9:17 am

Les Peterson wrote:
I've been eyeing the Forma Dominator hinged boot and I can't find anything about water proofing/water resistance. How do these hold up to stream crossing's? One of my pet peeves is getting my feet wet. Anybody have any feedback?

Hi Les.

Like almost all MX boots, these are not waterproof. No taped seams, no inner waterproof liner (which would cook your feet, BTW), etc.

You will find many, many anecdotes from people about how their boots are water resistant, including these. But they are all happenstance. Sometimes, the duration or way water is applied will not be sufficient to allow it to pass through to the foot. But the point is that gear - apparel, boots, gloves, etc. - is either waterproof or not waterproof. These are technically not.

Actually I don't know of any MX boots that are.

Brian
Back to top Go down
Les Peterson

Les Peterson

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/21/2009, 9:35 am

Thanks for the feedback.
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/29/2009, 6:28 pm

Ok, back on topic. This should be my last post in this thread (probably not, lol).
*Please take this into account before reading. This is my first year in the dirt, three years on the street before this and have never worn any kind of dirt gear before this.

Took a little 110+ mile trek today. And here are my findings.

1. Boots need insoles (been discussed, i think it is a given that most MX boots will benifit from them)
2. Buckles are adjustable. Didn't reallize this the first time. Everything fits snug now.
3. Buckles snap in place nicely/positively. Parts of them seem to be easily replaceable too.
4. Soles are very thick with rearward grip not forward. (i thought this was cool)
5. Actually pretty comfortable to walk around in.
6. They are not water proof. hahaha
AXO Boxer Boots Image031-1
AXO Boxer Boots Image030-1

7. The grip was amazing. Able to hope around on some rocks without falling into the river. Something I would not have been able to do with my street boots.
AXO Boxer Boots Image059-1
AXO Boxer Boots Image058-1

To sum it up. After bending my shifter back into the shape it probably started out in, I had almost NO problems shifting at all. In the begining i kept missing neutral because the boots are heavier then street boots. Getting used to it thou.
I friggen had a smile on my face when I finally realized how little these boots cost and how well they felt!!
*Also the knee/shin guards where awesome. You notice them when walking, but forget about them when riding.
**Inspector endorses both products and also Atomic for being so helpful and informative.
Back to top Go down
Brtp4

Brtp4

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/29/2009, 6:36 pm

That's what we like to hear....great news.

I wish more people would try these out, they are such a killer deal.

BP
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Domiantor Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/30/2009, 2:42 pm

Atomic, I would have to agree I really like the forma dominators I purchased from you, but I would like to have at least one spare buckle and strap. I have pm you in the past and never heard anything back. Do not know if pm did not go through. But anyway how do I get a spare buckle and strap?
Back to top Go down
Brtp4

Brtp4

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime6/30/2009, 3:45 pm

Mamacone, my apologies, I try to follow up on every message promptly. I just checked here and do not have any PMs, so I do not know what happened. I will follow this forum more closely, and going forward, you can always reach me most quickly at brian@atomic-moto.com.

On the buckles and straps, there are different lengths for upper and lower. Please advise which one(s) you need, and your email, and I will get it done!!

Thanks,
Brian
Back to top Go down
Brtp4

Brtp4

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime7/25/2009, 1:28 pm

How about a medium term update on these?

BP
Back to top Go down
Inspector
Inspector

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime7/25/2009, 5:44 pm

Loving the boots. Riding every weekend. Last weekend put on 180+ miles on. (i'll admit after that many miles it did feel good to take them off, hahaha) My average of 3 wrecks per ride is going down, so haven't been able to crash test them, lol. Did do a trail side tire change mostly by myself. Had no problem moving/bending/squatting around with the boots on. No blisters nor chaffing going on either, which I am impressed with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AXO Boxer Boots Empty
PostSubject: Re: AXO Boxer Boots   AXO Boxer Boots Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AXO Boxer Boots
Page 1 of 1