PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Remember the plastic sheet?

Go down 
+2
mamacone
griz901
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
griz901

griz901

Bike : Honda XR650R

Remember the plastic sheet? Empty
PostSubject: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/3/2010, 10:58 pm

The stuff hanging off the shelf in the background? (somethin' I forgot about for a while)

Remember the plastic sheet? Img_0635

You guessed it! My long forgotten desire to make my own mini-windscreen!

Where do I get this stuff? I was bored snotless this winter - forgot I had all these little treasures hidden around the garage!

Remember the plastic sheet? Img_0636
Back to top Go down
mamacone

mamacone

PostSubject: '01 XR650R "The Mistress"   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/4/2010, 9:57 am

You treat the Mistress with such beauty. Do not even want to know how sexy the wife is.
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

Bike : XR650L , 990KTM

PostSubject: remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/4/2010, 10:01 pm

J.C. Whitney, comes with brackets that bolt to bars, then uses set screws to secure rods to shield. if you want to remove just loosen set screws an rods an shield comes off. takes about 30 seconds to do. however i can tell that you are not the average "ruin it your selfer" so you just continue on with your idea, yours will probably be way better. mine made it to the arctic ocean an back, but she had a few cracks in her. saved me from alot of rocks on the dalton and more bugs than you could imagine! not a very good pic, but only one with close shot of wind shield. Remember the plastic sheet? 19910
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:30 am

big jer wrote:
J.C. Whitney, comes with brackets that bolt to bars, then uses set screws to secure rods to shield. if you want to remove just loosen set screws an rods an shield comes off. takes about 30 seconds to do. however i can tell that you are not the average "ruin it your selfer" so you just continue on with your idea, yours will probably be way better. mine made it to the arctic ocean an back, but she had a few cracks in her. saved me from alot of rocks on the dalton and more bugs than you could imagine! not a very good pic, but only one with close shot of wind shield.

Funny how things change...

I popped over to a vendor website to look at the windscreen I had picked out but never bought. It was $150 three years ago, now its $200 for the same thing. (TCI touring windscreen)

Would you be willing to take a measurement of thickness and maybe a paper outline of your windscreen for me?

Uh oh, battery dead, gotta go
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:46 am

Sorry about that,
My seven year old laptop says 30 minutes of battery left when it really means 30 seconds... Remember the plastic sheet? 6229 I'm too cheap to buy a new fancy battery.

So anyway, regarding the windscreen... My biggest problem right now is highway speeds and my motocross duck bill helmet!

Ten miles at 65mph and my neck is getting stretched backwards (yes, taking the bill off or getting a Airoh S4 is in my future).

If you have the screen mounted up would you take a side view, rear view, front view pic and post them or send them to me? I can extrapolate dimensions and mounting hardware from the pics. I've got access to nylon fasteners and the like locally.

This poor motorcycle, its turning into a beast of burden (but its the only one I've got) instead of a cross country race bike.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 9:13 am

Well, pre-manufactured hardware, extensive reputation, Slipstreamer Spitfire S06 here I come... I think my plastic is too thin and I have not laminated plexiglass since high school...

(How do I explain the Pay Buddy payment emails to my wife?)

Decisions, decisions... Remember the plastic sheet? 6229
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 9:48 am

Oh wait a minute! Remember the plastic sheet? 541814

Last fall I picked up a piece of plastic from the dumpster site. I thought it would look cool with a Buell headlight mod someday.

Where the heck is that thing!?
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 11:59 am

griz901 wrote:
Oh wait a minute! Remember the plastic sheet? 541814

Last fall I picked up a piece of plastic from the dumpster site. I thought it would look cool with a Buell headlight mod someday.

Where the heck is that thing!?

Ok, do you guys think this looks ok? Feedback would be appreciated. Don't be afraid to tell me if it looks super cheesy Remember the plastic sheet? 627322

Remember the plastic sheet? Img_0535
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 12:52 pm

Remember the plastic sheet? 852913 A couple more from this morning - what do you think? Wife came home and said "that looks really cool," how much did you spend? But what do you guys think?

Big jer sparked the old memory banks and I forgot I had earned my dumpster diving badge this winter!! Remember the plastic sheet? 624421

Remember the plastic sheet? Img_0638
Remember the plastic sheet? Img_0640
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 2:51 pm

is that my rear fender Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 3:28 pm

Shane wrote:
is that my rear fender Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_scratch

LOL, kinda looks like it could be, doesn't it. But no banana Remember the plastic sheet? 778284 try again...
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 6:48 pm

Looks like your gonna get banged up if you ever face plant it
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 7:10 pm

XCR500Rider wrote:
Looks like your gonna get banged up if you ever face plant it

My wife took out a life insurance policy on me, approved paperwork came today... Remember the plastic sheet? 129847

Come on, somebody say it... Looks like crud doesn't it? Well I can't tell you how many times I've been up past midnight, tinkering in the man cave and tried to make this darn thing work. I guess I'll have to fork over the money for the real deal if I start commuting on the bike.

I guess its time to say goodbye and return it to its home at the dump site Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_sad

Remember the plastic sheet? Img_0536
Back to top Go down
XCR500Rider

XCR500Rider

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 7:14 pm

Truthfully, I didnt want to hurt your feelers, but I dont care for the way it looks.
Back to top Go down
Backwoods Boogie
Backwoods Boogie

Bike : XR650R - Concours 14

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 7:22 pm

I like your idea of a rally style fairing, but the bissell cover needs to go. Unless you can make the red light come on too. Remember the plastic sheet? Policered

https://shop.rallyraid.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=RRXR650F

Remember the plastic sheet? RRXR650F
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Gracias   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 7:23 pm

XCR500Rider wrote:
Truthfully, I didnt want to hurt your feelers, but I dont care for the way it looks.

Yer da man! I respect that! Big jer pointed me in the right direction but I had to try just one last time. One of those couldn't let it go moments Remember the plastic sheet? 84165
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 7:33 pm

Backwoods Boogie wrote:
I like your idea of a rally style fairing, but the bissell cover needs to go. Unless you can make the red light come on too. Remember the plastic sheet? Policered

https://shop.rallyraid.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=RRXR650F

Remember the plastic sheet? 601673
I had no idea the rallyraid is so inexpensive. I've seen that so many times, even have the image on my HDD too. It really would have been cool to make the red light flash like knightrider, not...
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 7:37 pm

that thing looks like a rudder for a ducks butt! Remember the plastic sheet? 471708 not a rear fender or a wind screen for a brp. the one i have is only 1/8 thick, but it does have some arch to it, which makes it stiffer. if you were gonna use plexi glass an leave it flat i think i'd go thicked. let me go take some pics an measure up the one i have, be right back.
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:00 pm

oh wow, i just got an idea!!! if i keep comin up with ideas like this it will probably win me the nobel prize Remember the plastic sheet? 503529 i have the low wind shield i took off the 990. let's see what it looks like, it has 3 holes in each side so mounting would be a snap for an old hand like you. take a look at it, if you think it might work for ya pm me your shipping address an i'll ship it toRemember the plastic sheet? Dscn0120 you
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:06 pm

it's about 21 inches tall, an 12" from the head light opening to the top. here it is from the sideRemember the plastic sheet? Dscn0121
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:15 pm

big jer wrote:
it's about 21 inches tall, an 12" from the head light opening to the top. here it is from the sideRemember the plastic sheet? Dscn0121

Wow, very generous of you Sir. Are you sure?
You know what, I'm gonna take you up on that offer! Remember the plastic sheet? 541814 The side shot sold me...

Now I'm gonna have to pray to the big red pig in the sky for mixing orange with red (did it come off a silver or black bike maybe?).

I like the way it looks in your pics I bet it looks better in person

Can I pay for shipping?

griz
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:36 pm

sorry, ORANGE all the way. it does look better in person, i'm not a very good photographer. i think it is pretty close to matching the contour around the head light of my brp. ofcourse with the big jer approved headlight guard in the way i can't be sure. i will handle the shipping no problem. u can buy me a beer or 2 later this summer, as i will have to inspect this project in person!
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/5/2010, 8:44 pm

big jer wrote:
sorry, ORANGE all the way. it does look better in person, i'm not a very good photographer. i think it is pretty close to matching the contour around the head light of my brp. ofcourse with the big jer approved headlight guard in the way i can't be sure. i will handle the shipping no problem. u can buy me a beer or 2 later this summer, as i will have to inspect this project in person!

Thanks again! Remember the plastic sheet? 231713
Back to top Go down
big jer

big jer

PostSubject: remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 9:32 am

ok i got the shield all boxed up, got enough news paper wodded up in there that it will probably explode when you open it. Remember the plastic sheet? 485621 got fingers crossed it makes it in 1 piece Remember the plastic sheet? 485621 will send out monday. ha that map you pm'd me is very cool thanks. trying to get the 990 back together this morning, as this afternoon mechanically declined cousin an i are goin for a brp ride supposed to be mid 50's here today will try to post up some pics.
Back to top Go down
griz901

griz901

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime3/6/2010, 9:53 am

big jer wrote:
ok i got the shield all boxed up, got enough news paper wodded up in there that it will probably explode when you open it. Remember the plastic sheet? 485621 got fingers crossed it makes it in 1 piece Remember the plastic sheet? 485621 will send out monday. ha that map you pm'd me is very cool thanks. trying to get the 990 back together this morning, as this afternoon mechanically declined cousin an i are goin for a brp ride supposed to be mid 50's here today will try to post up some pics.

Hey thanks again, your generosity overwhelmed me last night. Have a great time with MDC, weather is about the same here today. Gonna go see a movie with the fam and burn the midnight oil to get some work done this evening.

I'm looking forward to taking a spin this afternoon (had a heavy frost this morning).

griz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remember the plastic sheet?   Remember the plastic sheet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remember the plastic sheet?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next