PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Empty
PostSubject: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:29 pm

My father and I picked this little Baja DB30 Minibike up at GI Joes when they were going out of business. They had them all the way down to $150 new! I couldn't build one for that so we purchased one to play with and bring with us to fly-in events ect. Right after purchase we took it up to Quincy to a Powered Parachute meet and found that the 2.8hp engine that it came with was far from adequate, you had to do a flinstone takeoff run in the grass just to get it going. After we returned home we decided we would fit up a larger engine....then it just sat for the past year.

On to 2010....The fly-in at Quincy is fast aproching again, plus we have another fly-in planned on a dry lake bed down in Central OR later this summer and we want the mini to play around with while we're there so it's time to get into gear.

A 6.5hp Honda GX200 engine was purchased from the net and the build was on.

Here's a stock pic of the bike from the web with the 2.8hp engine.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Agkyffflujkc

And a couple with the GX200 mounted up.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0941

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0933

This thing is a beast with the Honda on it! It will flat move! Installing the engine required a few small modifications.

First we had to cut new mounting slots into the engine mount plate to make everything like up correctly.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0939

We replaced the clutch with a larger 3/4" shaft unit (We are going to upgrade to a torque converter next Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. 675814 ). We also replaced the cheap made in China chain with some good ol made in the USA #35 chain. Once the Engine was in place and the chain bolted up the chain guard hit the chain since the Honda was taller than the original setup. A quick spacer and a oval slot in the rear of the chain guard provided the extra clearance necessary.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0935

We were going to fabricate a custom clutch cover then figured it would be easier to just make some stand off tabs and re-use the Baja plastic clutch guard. Looks more "factory" anyways.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0934

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0938

The last thing to hook up was the throttle. The GX200 has a clamp built in to hold the cable but doesn't come with any way to attach the wire to the throttle lever. We ended up using a bolt with a hole drilled through the head, then drilled a hole in the top of the bolt, tack welded a smaller nut to the top and inserted a screw.....Instant Jam nut! The bolt head is free to pivot on the lever and works great, nice and smooth throttle. Added a stronger throttle return spring and we're off and running.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0950

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0943

And whats this little device???

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0957

I have to have some way to haul my 3 year old son around at the fly-ins Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. 84165 I gave him a ride in it around the house the other night and he loved it. Going to be a fun setup.

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. IMG_0960

Can't wait to get the Torque Converter installed. It already accelerates like mad Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. 675814

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:46 pm

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_scratch would one of these in stock form fit a 5 year old girl. would like to get my daughter one, i think she would like it. but it looks a little big.
Back to top Go down
Hodakaguy
Admin
Hodakaguy

Bike : 13 KTM 500EXC - Orange Baby!

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 8:49 pm

Shane wrote:
Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_scratch would one of these in stock form fit a 5 year old girl. would like to get my daughter one, i think she would like it. but it looks a little big.

Might be a tad big. A Yamaha PW50 would be perfect though Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. 5543

Hodakaguy
Back to top Go down
http://www.PacificNWDualsport.com
Inspector
Inspector

Bike : Beta 400rr

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 9:01 pm

Haha. That's cool. I was riding the neighbors around one night...until I found out it has a weight limit. oops.

good times. One of the few times inspector endorses drinking and riding. lol
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime5/11/2010, 9:08 pm

i have been looking at the pw 50's and used there still a arm and a leg. these bike are like $350 brand new ! but your right, the pw would be a better opption. she isnt ready for one yet, so i will still be shopping.
Back to top Go down
Vader

Vader

Bike : dt100

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime5/20/2010, 10:23 pm

i have a pw50 and a doodle bug, the pw50 is fun for high speeds, i can reach about 40-45mph on ours, it has a bigger carb and high comp though, we paid $200 for the bike "not running" but as soon as i got it home i hit the choke put gas in it and it fired up after 3 or 4 kicks.. ran great ever since lol.. our doodle bug was a gijoes special of $50 and i was gunna put our 13hp honda motor off of my pressure washer, but i use the washer to much lol so i put a 5.5hp and its pretty fun can hit about 25mph(im a small guy)
Back to top Go down
Rippn

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime11/10/2011, 10:43 pm

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fast... tastfully understated... a GEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE and clean, Ripp'n
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.   Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hot Rod DB30 Minibike....Fun Stuff.
Page 1 of 1