PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My rides

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mrkingers

Mrkingers

Bike : 1980 Honda XR250

My rides Empty
PostSubject: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime12/13/2010, 8:43 am

My 1982 IT465, right after I bought it.....
[img]My rides Before11[/img]

The 465 after a bit of work, and just before I sold it last year.

[img]My rides It041713[/img]

My 1980 XR250 the day I bought it this year

My rides 80xr2512

The 250 as it sits in my shop today, Dec 2010

My rides Xr115210
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

My rides Empty
PostSubject: Re: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime12/13/2010, 6:39 pm

i like the old stuff, my bro in law has a 81' XL250. its not in that good of shape.
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

My rides Empty
PostSubject: Re: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 12:49 am

wow thumb clean!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Mrkingers

Mrkingers

My rides Empty
PostSubject: Re: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 8:23 am

Yep, the XR is clean...Everything works, and there's not even a rip in the seat.!
Gonna work on it thru the winter. Needs brakes front and back. Also needs a muffler. The original one on it has blown a hole through on the underside and is basically falling apart.
Gonna try and find a front tire for it too. The one on it at the moment is more street orientated and is pretty useless on grass / dirt. My selection is pretty limited though as it's 23" diameter.
Back to top Go down
DoctorXRR

DoctorXRR

Bike : 2003 DR650

My rides Empty
PostSubject: My Rides   My rides Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 7:10 pm

[b]Great job on the old bikes. I used to have a 1984 XR250 but I dont have any pictures from back in the day! How did you get the plastics on the Yamaha in such good shape again?
Back to top Go down
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php
Mrkingers

Mrkingers

My rides Empty
PostSubject: Re: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 6:24 am

As you can see from the first pic of the IT, the plastics were very weathered, and had actually oxidized. If you ran your fingernail across the plastic, stuff resembling baby powder flaked off.
I considered buying a whole plastic kit from DC plastics, but the plastic on the bike didn't have any cracks or breaks so I decided to have a go "restoring" it.

I sanded all the plastic with sandpaper, from rough to smooth and finished up with wire wool. The original color (Which I love) "almost came back. The plastics were very patchy. The oxidation was deep in places. So I decided on a respray.

I used rattle can Krylon Fusion in Patriot Blue (Walmart, Ace Hardware) .....I thought this blue looked "Yamaha" Pretty straight forward as the fusion paint is designed for plastic. After painting I did all the plastics with good old furniture polish to seal it.......

I also used the Krylon Fusion on the XR too, as all the plastic was weathered too, except the tank of course, which is metal.
I would highly recommened the paint to anyone that has plastic to paint.

It is fast to do.....In the pic of the XR (The day I bought it) It didn't look like that.! So I spent 2 hours roughing up the plastic and washing it, before hitting it with Krylon and furniture polish for that photo.
The yellow and black "striping" on the side panels is electrical tape.

All in all the fusion paint is excellent. As long as the plastic is roughed up and spotlessly clean. Also recommend getting the paint and plastic warm before doing it.
I was delightd with the final result on the IT.......If it weren't for the drum brakes it looked like a newer bike than an 82.......Recovered the seat myself and stuck on a new DG silencer from Dirtoverstock.com
Back to top Go down
DoctorXRR

DoctorXRR

Bike : 2003 DR650

My rides Empty
PostSubject: My riders   My rides Icon_minitime12/26/2010, 10:32 pm

Great job on restoring those plastics, and some great tips for doing it. Nice when you can do a budget DYI job and get some excellent results!
Back to top Go down
http://ridedualsport.com/forum/index.php
Rippn

My rides Empty
PostSubject: Re: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime11/10/2011, 10:34 pm

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
... I'm HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FREE and clean, Ripp'n
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My rides Empty
PostSubject: Re: My rides   My rides Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My rides
Page 1 of 1