PNWDS - PNWDualSport
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
PNWDS - PNWDualSport

A Place to Share Your Dual Sport Passion

Established Jan 03, 2009

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

Bike : 2013 KTM 500 EXC

rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Empty
PostSubject: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 8:12 pm

hey guys,

my rear disc brake sqeaks really bad. i noticed it on the last part of our ride a couple weeks ago and now i am looking at it the night before i want to go riding. its a honda 230L there are a couple lines on the disc rotor and a couple on the pads. i took the pads off cleaned them up with some brake cleaner and made sure there was no rocks dirt of any more junk in there. put it all back together and still sqeeks like wet bikes on a mt bike. is it sqeaking now becasue of the grooves on the pads and rotor? i want to ride tomorrow but i dont know if i can deal with all the noise from brakes. i also noticed that the cylindar that applys pressure to the bads does not retract at all after the rear brake is applied. are these brakes designed to just barely rub the rotor? and there is a slight scratching noise as well when just turning the rear wheel. loud enough to where if i were just ride up and down the driveway i could hear it. any how i would really apreciate some ideas before i just go ride on it tomorrow on the trails up at walker valley orv.

thanks chris
Back to top Go down
n16ht5

n16ht5

Bike : 13 FE250, 14 FE501 Snowbike

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/17/2010, 10:26 pm

hmm... try a thumpertalk.com search?
Back to top Go down
http://Whitehorsephotography.net
Shane

Shane

Bike : 09' DR650SE

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 8:29 am

the pads and rotor are probably glazed. you can try a piece of emry cloth and scuff up the surfaces of the pads. since the rotor is hard metal, you can use a die grinder with a scuffing pad on it to take the glaze off.

also, the compounds of brake pad has changed so much ( government/health reasons), it is hard to get brakes not to make noise.

braking habbits will contribute to brakes glazing. the best thing to do is not use your brakes, then they wont make noise. just flinstone it ! poser
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 4:58 pm

well i found out what the issue was. my pads fell apart i was runing steel on steel. any how im still wondering why the pad would sperate and come off the plate. anyhow i got some new ones this mornign and worked like a champ.
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 6:56 pm

made in CHINA ? scared
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/18/2010, 10:12 pm

probably were made in china. any how i got some new ebcs on it and they worked great. at first the honda dealer said they had them so i went there, then they said oh we dont have those pads. then i walked out to the showroom floor and said here take them off this bike sell them to me and order some to replace them. they said nope cant do that. i was like wow even for a guy who just bought a brand new bike from you this spring. what poor poor customor service. i was hot. then i said u sure u dont got them looking across the counter? they said nope. then i walked behind their counter and holded my pad up to a couple looking for the right cut. and bam i find it. lifestyles honda is the worst place to buy any bike or parts dont go there unless its a last option
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 6:23 pm

thats to bad, some places just dont care once they sell the bike ! the good thing is there is the internet, lots of good parts there. your bike is probably still under warranty, find your self a new dealer to go to. any honda shop can warranty something for you. did they make you pay for them ?
Back to top Go down
Chris6_85

Chris6_85

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/19/2010, 11:46 pm

they did make me pay for them and they said it was because i didnt clean the bike. i said i clean the bike down to the bare bone. i swear they all are used car salesman
Back to top Go down
Shane

Shane

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime12/20/2010, 3:04 pm

wow, thats BS. i believe the warranty covers all items. atleast for ythe first year. i am going to use that one at work the next time i get a warranty job.

find a new store to do buissness with.
Back to top Go down
xrhondabob

Bike : 87XR277, 06CRF250x, 06KTM525exc

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime1/1/2011, 10:07 pm

It's a good thing you took it apart to prevent further damage. Brakes are a difficult item to warranty. You mentioned that your caliper piston wasn't retracting. If you burn through your new set of brake pads, then you may need to rebuild your rear caliper. You probably don't even need seals, just cleaning out that one tiny piece of dirt that could be making your caliper stick.

This last Fall, a friend's brake light was staying on. Once I stopped him and had him move his toe off the rear brake, the light went out. I kept noticing his brake light on and off during the day ride. The easiest way to fix it was to lead.
I raise my brake pedal on the KTM because I tend to do the same thing. Its hard to feel through heavy boots. Raising the pedal fixed one thing, now I occasionally lock up the rear when I brake. Fix one problem, create another.

As for the dealer. That is a fairly popular rear brake pad used in Honda's back to the early 90's. I even have a set of those pads.

Keep an eye on your new set. If you burn through the new pads, then its time to check your caliper.

Later, xrhondabob...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?   rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear brakes on crf230L sqeak so bad on or off the brakes. what do i do?
Page 1 of 1